DustRider

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I am having a problem and am looking for some help. I am experiencing a problem in which my computer system seems to spontaneously reboot. If I leave the computer system on and do not run intensive programs, then the computer will work for a while. If I go to do something (e.g. install a program), then eventually the computer will just reboot. It seems that the more intensive program I run (e.g. a game), the less time it takes to reboot. I am looking to find out if anyone has experienced this problem, and to see if there is a solution. Also, I am not sure exactly what settings (e.g. ram settings) I should use in the bios. I have read several posts, however none of the settings I have read seem to help. Some seem to cause my computer to reboot faster, some cause it to take longer. In one instance, the system rebooted just as it entered windows. Any help is appreciated, as at this point I am at a loss.
As a note, I believe my ram is supposed to be 4-4-4-12 at 2.1V. I know there is a 5th ram setting, but I am not sure what it is supposed to be set at.

System:
MB: P5W DH
CPU: E6600 Core 2 Duo
Ram: TWIN2XP2048-6400C4
Video: ATI All in Wonder X1900
HD: 2 X 320GB Westen Digital SATA II HDs
DVD: Sony IDE DVD Drive
PS: Coolermaster Realpower 550W

Thanks.

jr2408

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I assume by rebooting you mean that the screeen just goes balnk and it restarts, raher than a graceful reboot? I have had a similar problem with my recent build.

Look in your system event logs to check for errors, and also for warnings that refer to a minidump being created after the crash. In my case I put some of the minidumps up on experts exchange and they pointed to a driver issue with the onboard sound. I found that the version I had installed from Windows update had caused the problem and that the latest version on the ASUS site resolved the issue. In general check that you have the latest version of all your drivers from the manufacturer site (don't trust the ones on windows update if you want my opinion).

I would not recommend messing with the BIOS - put it back to default settings and then switch off devices that you do not need (e.g. firewire, Jmicron if you are not using it) - you need to eliminate as many causes as possible. Also check device manager for device issues.

_TOMO_

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
are you overclocking by any chance?

by this i mean cpu overclocking or just running your memory faster than it was meant to go.

You say this is a recent build, have you checked your RAM. I would run Memtest on you system. Bad RAM can cause spontaneous reboots. Failing power supplies can cause the same thing. Personally I would try running Memtest first. Once you download the image, burn it to CD and boot from it. It doesn't run in Windows, so if the problem is memory related, it won't reboot. If it reboots while in Memtest, it's more likely to be your power supply.

Here is a link for downloading:

LINK

All the instructions you'll need should be on this site. If you can eliminate your RAM as the failure, then try to obtain another PSU and give that a try.

Another reason could be overheating. What does you BIOS say for temperature? A lot of people have been having trouble getting good contact between the heatspreader and the heatsink on their Core 2's.

Again I would start with the easiest first.

P.S. As someone else said, start your troubleshooting with everything at default in the BIOS.

jr2408

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Just to follow up on this, take things slow and don't panic.

- Get the BIOS back to near default.
- Check memory
- Check temperatures
- Check drivers

I had pretty much the same issues and worked in that order to find the driver issue. I also realised that I had temperature issues and that I had put my cooling fan on the wrong way (so the cooler was blowing air into the case and the case exhaust fan was sucking air away from the heatsink, but that is another story ;-) This building your own sure teaches you a lot ;-)

Also, back up data and windows itself if you have an imaging solution. Random reboots are not good for windows or for data......

DustRider

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I appreciate everyone's responses. Ironically, I did update the audio driver via the windows update feature and when I restart I do get a minidump file from windows, so I will definitely try what you suggest. And yes, when I say spontaneously reboot, I mean the screen just goes blank, and then the system reboots. Finally, this is a brand new system build (i.e. all of the components are brand new. Also, I am not looking to overclock, I just want a rocking stock system.

Thanks again!

DustRider

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Update:

Hah. I installed the asus audio drivers as suggested. Wow, problem appears solved. Thank you!! I don't believe I ever would have looked at the audio drivers as the problem. Go Figure..... :)

Thanks for everyone's help.

Update:

Hah. I installed the asus audio drivers as suggested. Wow, problem appears solved. Thank you!! I don't believe I ever would have looked at the audio drivers as the problem. Go Figure..... :)

Thanks for everyone's help.

Interesting, I guess I never experienced those problems cause I'm too picky. Onboard sound isn't good enough for me, I always stick with a discrete audio card. Good to see you have worked out your problem though.

pgarnold

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
DustRider,

Just in case the problem reappears, I thought I would add what I found with my new system. I had the same symptoms as you described but my problem was the result of a bad memory stick.

The failure only happened after the memory had heated up. So if the system was worked hard if failed more quickly. From cold start it worked for a few hours before it would fail. I ran memtest and it found NO problem. Success with a memtest is no guarantee that your memory is good. The way I was finally able to isolate the problem was to remove one stick of memory at a time and see how long the system worked.

I have read of similiar problem with Corsair memory over at NewEgg where I purchased mine. NewEgg replaced the bad memory (both sticks) once I was able to isolate the cause, quickly at no cost. I think Corsair is very good memory and would buy it again. They probably don't test each memory stick for hours to find these types of problems.

Good Luck with your system,
Paul