Shared system memory

Mattthew_H

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Hey everyone. I'm running Windows 7 64bit and it's reporting that only 8GB of my actual 12GB of RAM installed is usable.
Apparently the missing 4GB has gone to my graphics card, a 6850, which under the "Performance Information and Tools", which says the following:

Model EX58-UD5
Total amount of system memory 12.0 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system

Graphics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Display adapter type AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Total available graphics memory 4862 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3838 MB

I'm wondering how to turn this off. You can see my motherboard model above. When I first built my computer I had a 5770, and it had the same problem. I need my full 12GB. On my motherboard it says 'FF' on the little screen, meaning that the CPU is Fully Functional.
Could this be a motherboard issue? I've always updated to the latest drivers, and have tried each RAM stick by themselves.

I've been doing some heavy searching and can't seem to find any answers. Could anyone please be of assistance?

EnderWiggin

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I don't think you are missing memory, I think this is just how Windows is handling the system and display memory. By default system memory (RAM) is shared between the system (hardware) and processes (applications), so your GPU has 1 GB on-board, and Windows is using 3.8 GB of RAM for when it needs it specifically for graphics processes, leaving you with about 8 GB left over for other hardware and processes. If you examine the Performance tab of Windows Task Manager, you should see under Physical Memory a total of 12 GB.

DilusionInc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Hello there...in case u'r using windows 7 (home basic 64 bit), ur pc will recognise a max. of 8gb ram only, unless u switch to home premium and above versions of windows 7. it's got nothing to do with your graphics card. check the comparison chart on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions for more details. Note: Windows 7 professional and ultimate (64 bit only) can detect upto 192 gb ram...incredible but true!

DilusionInc

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011

Hello there...in case u'r using windows 7 (home basic 64 bit), ur pc will recognise a max. of 8gb ram only, unless u switch to home premium and above versions of windows 7. it's got nothing to do with your graphics card. check the comparison chart on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_editions for more details. Note: Windows 7 professional and ultimate (64 bit only) can detect upto 192 gb ram...incredible but true!

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
On my i5 with 8GB RAM, I have a 512MB discrete graphics card, and the GPU says it has 4GB shared. What do you get in system properties, 12GB ram (8GB usable)? You could have broken pins on the CPU - the memory controller is in it with many newer intel cpus.