Microtek scanner made my PC unusable.

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt (More info?)

I had a Microtek Slimscan C3 scanner that used to be attached to a
Windows 98 system. I wanted to connect it to a Windows 2000 system. I
asked Microtek about some cable connection issues (USB vs. parallel).
Unfortunately, I forgot to mention that I was moving it from a Windows
98 machine to a Windows 2000 machine. I took their advice and
installed the software. Now my Windows 2000 system is pretty much
nonfunctional: it goes very, very slowly. It takes an hour or more
simply to boot-up. Simple operations like opening windows or executing
commands take similar long times or longer.
Here's what I wrote Microtek after I had this problem on installing
their software:

Ack! I realize now I should have been more specific.
When I said the scanner worked fine, I meant it worked
on another computer that was running Windows 98.
However, I wanted to connect it to a computer running
Windows 2000 Profesional. When I installed the
software this computer got hung up. More precisely, it
is now running very, very slowly. I looked online and
find out you need a new driver for Windows 2000.
What I tried to do is uninstall the software for the
scanner but the computer is going so slowly, I can't
even go through the process of removing software in
Windows: it gets to the "Add/Remove software" window
and just seems to hang there, not listing the
available software for removal.
I also tried using the "last good configuration"
function but that option did not pop up when I did a
Restart.
Do you think it would work to install the new driver
at this stage? If so, to what directory? I'm not sure
I could even install it. It would require getting the
computer to read from the floppy disk drive: the
computer is going so slowly I don't think it could
download from the internet.

They gave me some advice about how to uninstall which I followed but
it is still running very, very slowly:

Thanks for the response. I followed your instructions
closely except for installing the new driver, since I
wanted to just uninstall the scanner software. But the
computer is still running very, very slowly.
Installing the new driver would be very difficult
since I can not use an IE browser window. The window
just hangs there with no data downloaded when I
attempt to open one.
I noticed that when I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up
the Task Manager window and clicked the processes tab,
that the CPU usage was at 100% usage even when I had
no windows open or apparent programs running.
Apparently, there is some process running in the
background that is using up the CPU resources. I don't
know what that can be. I presume it is related to the
installation of the software for the scanner since the
problem started then.
Any ideas?

Bob Clark

=======================================

So any ideas how to solve this?

Bob C.
5 answers Last reply
More about microtek scanner made unusable
  1. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt (More info?)

    Reboot in safe mode and remove the scanner drivers.

    > So any ideas how to solve this?
    >

    > Bob C.
  2. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt (More info?)

    "AS" <ars@TrasH.net> wrote in message news:<ld0Bc.15226$Vf.847016@news000.worldonline.dk>...
    > Reboot in safe mode and remove the scanner drivers.
    >

    > > So any ideas how to solve this?
    > >

    > > Bob C.

    This didn't work.

    Bob C.
  3. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt (More info?)

    "Robert Clark" <rgregoryclark@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "AS" <ars@TrasH.net> wrote in message
    > > Reboot in safe mode and remove the scanner drivers.
    > >

    > > > So any ideas how to solve this?
    > > >

    > > > Bob C.
    >
    > This didn't work.
    >
    > Bob C.

    Are you sure that you got ALL of the files and the Registry entries?

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message news:<s_HBc.2233$7l.1510@newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>...
    > "Robert Clark" <rgregoryclark@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > "AS" <ars@TrasH.net> wrote in message
    > > > Reboot in safe mode and remove the scanner drivers.

    > > This didn't work.
    > >
    > > Bob C.
    >
    > Are you sure that you got ALL of the files and the Registry entries?

    Here are the instructions I received which I followed:

    Dear Robert,

    Below are the instructions to try uninstalling the driver in
    Safe Mode.

    Note: For Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 & XP. You will need to tap the F8
    key during the boot-up process in to command Windows to display the
    Windows
    Start Up Menu.

    Tip: tap the F8 key 2 times per second and begin the tapping 4
    seconds
    after you have started your computer from a cold boot. This will bring
    the Windows Start Up Menu where you will need to select option number
    3 or
    the SAFE MODE option and press enter on your keyboard.

    1. Uninstalling and cleaning out the entire ScanWizard 5 driver files
    from your computer.

    Note: During the uninstall process in step "1a", you may get a notice
    in a popup menu that reads, " Do you want to delete shared files".
    Click on
    the Yes To All button and then continue to step 1b.

    a. From your computers Desktop click on the Start button. Then
    go to Programs and you will notice Programs roll down appear. From
    the
    Programs roll down select Microtek ScanWizard 5 for Windows. From the
    ScanWizard 5 for Windows roll down menu select and click on the option
    to Uninstall Microtek ScanWizard 5 for Windows. You will notice an
    Uninstall Shield splash on your monitor and it will display all the
    files that it will
    uninstall.

    Note: For Windows, 2000 & XP. You will need to skip step "b" through
    "e" and go directly to step f.

    b. Close the Uninstall shield once it has completed the
    uninstallation of ScanWizard and return to your Desktop. From the
    Desktop click on the
    Start button. Then go to Search or Find. A roll down menu will
    display for Search or Find, where you will select and click on Files
    or
    Folders. This will in turn open a window named Search or Find Results
    where you need to locate a field called NAMED. In the named field
    type
    the file name TWAIN and make sure to select the C:\ Drive in the Look
    In
    field. Then click the Search or Find button.

    c. Once your computer has finished searching the C:\ for all
    files with the name TWAIN. You will need to delete all files with the
    file
    name TWAIN located in the [C:\Windows] directory ONLY. Do not delete
    TWAIN
    files located in any other directory including any sub directories of
    C:\Windows\.

    d. After deleting the TWAIN files in the C:\Windows directory; we
    will perform a new search. Therefore click inside of the named field
    and
    delete the word TWAIN and type in a new file name TWUNK. Then click
    the
    Search or Find button. Once your computer has finished searching the
    C:\ for all files with the name TWUNK. You will need to delete all
    files with the
    file name TWUNK located in the [C:\Windows] directory ONLY. Do not
    delete
    TWUNK files located in any other directory including any sub
    directories of
    C:\Windows\.

    e. After deleting the TWUNK files in the C:\Windows directory;
    we
    will perform a new search. Therefore click inside of the named field
    and delete the word TWUNK and type in a new file named MICROTEK. Make
    sure
    that you type in C:\ in the look in field. Then click the Search or
    Find
    button.

    f. From your computers the Desktop click on the Start button.
    Then go to Search or Find a roll down menu will display for Search or
    Find,
    where you will select and click on Files or Folders. This will in
    turn
    open a window named Search or Find Results where you need to locate a
    field called NAMED. In the named field type the file name Microtek
    and make
    sure to select the C:\ Drive in the Look In field. Then click the
    Search or
    Find button. Once your computer has finished searching the C:\ for all
    files with the name MICROTEK. You will need to delete a folder with
    the file name MICROTEK located in the C:\ directory ONLY. Do not
    delete
    MICROTEK files or folders located in any other directory including any
    sub directories of C:\. Return to the Desktop once procedure has been
    completed.

    Note: If the computer does not find a Microtek folder in the C:\
    directory just go ahead and close the search window and return to the
    computer's Desktop.

    Once you have un-installed the driver , restart the computer in
    Regular
    mode to download the driver from our web site.

    2. Downloading the ScanWizard Driver from the Microtek Support Site.

    Note: Please make sure that you download only the corresponding
    driver
    to your scanner. Installing a driver other than the driver
    recommended by
    Microtek or Microtek technicians can result in the improper function
    and or corruption of the scanner driver installation.

    a. From the Microtek home page, click on Driver Downloads. If you
    are not at the Microtek web site click on the following link,
    http://www.support.microtek.com/driver_download.phtml and then go to
    step "b".

    Note: The following page offers to "Find Drivers" by Product Category
    or by Model Name. For purposes of this step-by-step guide we will
    continue
    by selecting the option to Find Driver by Product Category.

    b. Open the roll down menu under the "By Product Category" field
    and select "Discontinued Products".

    Note: It is very important that you select the correct Microtek
    scanner. Selecting a model other than the one you currently own can
    result in a download of the wrong driver. If you do not know the
    scanner
    model you currently own please locate the scanner model number label
    on your
    scanner and contact Microtek Customer Service at 310-687-5940 or email
    <mailto:sales@microtek.com>sales@microtek.com with that
    information. Customer Service representatives will help you in
    determining what model Scanner you own.

    c. This will bring you to Step 2 where you will select the
    scanner
    model from the roll down menu.

    d. Make sure to select the current Operating System installed on
    your computer from the list of operating systems category in Step 3.
    Once
    you have made your OS selection press the GO button just below the OS
    menu.

    e. Locate and select your Internet connection speed type in the
    driver
    downloads window and then press the GO button to continue.

    f. Under the Description category you will see a description of
    the latest driver and update software for your scanner model. Click
    on the
    File or Files link just to the right of the file description menu, to
    begin the download process of the latest scanner driver and driver
    extras
    software.

    g. A File Download window will splash on your monitor prompting
    you to select whether you want to save the driver files or run from
    the
    current location. We recommend that you save to your computer. Click
    the Save
    button to continue.

    h. Now a Save As window will splash, select the Desktop from the
    roll down menu in the Save In field.

    i. Next click on the "Create New Folder Icon" just to the right
    of the Save In field. The icon is an image of a yellow folder with a
    yellow asterisk on the upper right hand corner of the icon.

    j. A new folder will splash in the Save As window with a prompt
    that will allow you to rename the folder from "new folder" to
    "ScanWizard
    Driver".

    k. Once you have renamed the folder ScanWizard Driver double
    click
    on it.

    l. Notice that the folder named ScanWizard Driver is now in the
    save in field. When this has happened click the Save button at the
    lower
    right side of the Save As window and the files will begin to download
    to the
    ScanWizard Driver folder.

    Note: Follow the same procedure for all files that you are required
    download.

    m. Once you have downloaded all digital files to the ScanWizard
    Driver folder on your Desktop, we will need to reboot your computer in
    safe
    mode on more time..

    Note: For Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 & XP. You will need to tap the F8
    key during the boot-up process in to command Windows to display the
    Windows
    Start Up Menu.

    Tip: tap the F8 key 2 times per second and begin the tapping 4
    seconds
    after you have started your computer from a cold boot. This will bring
    the Windows Start Up Menu where you will need to select option number
    3 or
    the SAFE MODE option and press enter on your keyboard.

    3. Unzipping Downloaded Files From ScanWizard Driver Folder

    a. You will now need to unzip the files you downloaded to the
    ScanWizard Driver folder on your Desktop. The files should be
    unzipped
    while the computer is running in safe mode. Click on each one of the
    files you downloaded and you will see window splash that will ask if
    you want
    to unzip the files.

    Note: Make a note of the directory that the WinZip extractor program
    will use to extract the driver files. Usually it is in a folder in
    the C:\
    drive.

    b. Click the unzip button and the computer will unzip the
    files
    to C:\ sw260 directory. Repeat the same step for all files that were
    downloaded. Once all files have been unzipped the files are ready to
    be installed to your computer.

    4. Installing The Unzipped Scanner Driver Files

    Important Note: Please make sure that your scanner cable is
    disconnected from your computer prior to installation of the
    ScanWizard driver.

    a. From the Desktop locate the My Computer icon and double click
    on the icon. A screen called My Computer will splash on the monitor.

    b. Look for the C:/ drive and double click.

    c. Locate the sw260 folder with the extracted scanner driver
    files and double click on the folder.

    d. Inside the sw260 folder you will find one or more file
    folders. The SETUP icon will be located in the first file folder.
    You
    will need to double click on the Disk 1 folder.

    e. Inside of the Disk 1 folder, you will find several more
    icons,
    one of which will be identified as a SETUP.EXE or just SETUP. The
    important thing is that it looks like a picture of a monitor with a
    blue screen and it has an open floppy box in front of it. When you
    find the Setup icon double click on it. This will begin your
    ScanWizard installation in
    safe mode.

    f. Follow the installation wizard instructions on the monitor.

    Note: A message will appear on your screen asking you "Do you want to
    test the unit?" At this point Connect your scanner cable to your
    computer
    and make sure that your scanner is on and ready. Then Click "NO" to
    continue. Your computer will automatically reboot into normal mode
    once the computer is restarted.

    5. Testing The Scanner

    a. Once you have booted to the Desktop, test the scanner by going
    to START>PROGRAMS>Microtek ScanWizard for Windows>Scanner Test.

    b. A Scanner Test Window will splash on your monitor, click on
    the flat bed icon once.

    c. This will activate the scanner test function. The scanner
    will then perform a rough draft scan of your image.

    Note: If the scanner passes this test then you have successfully
    installed your scanner driver software.

    Thank you for using pcsupport2@microtek.com. We hope we have
    answered your questions and have resolved any troubleshooting issues.
    If you
    have more questions or need further instruction, you may visit our web
    site
    at www.support.microtek.com or send a blank email to our automated
    email
    responder at helpdesk@support.microtek.com. If you require live
    technical support you can call our technical consultants at
    310-687-5800 from 7am to 5pm PST M- T- Th- F and from 7am to 3pm PST
    on Wednesdays.

    Dear Customer,

    Below are instructions on how to remove the Microtek entries in the
    Windows registry to resolve the Installation loop you are
    experiencing. Please be certain to follow every step in the
    instructions and do not remove any entries if there are discrepancies.

    *disclaimer:
    Microtek assumes no responsibility for errors or malfunctions
    resulting from the removal of wrong entries in the registry

    1. Go to Start --> Run --> Type "regedit" in the textbox (without the
    quotes)

    2. From the Registry, you will see 5 or 6 main headings on the left
    panel. All items on this panel are folders. The larger right panel
    displays the contents of these folders. Go to the left panel and click
    on the "+" sign next to the items listed below following the order
    on the list:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Software
    Microsoft
    Windows
    CurrentVersion
    Uninstall

    *where the Software folder is inside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and Microsoft
    folder is inside Software folder etc.

    3. Once you click on the "+" sign next to Uninstall folder, you will
    see sub folders similar to the ones displayed below:

    {9224A84C-DFB3-4550-AE58-8ADE66BE4B3F}
    {A4409609-BC39-49BD-8D28-0F19AF6122C6}
    {B08D262E-D902-11D5-9C28-0080C85A0C2D}

    Click once on each of these folders with random characters and look at
    its contents on the right panel. If you find a folder that contains
    "microtek " or "Scanwizard", remove the folder. To remove the folder,
    highlight the folder and press "delete " on your keyboard. Check all
    the folders with random characters until you reach the last folder.
    The rest of the folders on the list will have manufacture or software
    names. Look for folders named "Microtek..." or "Scanwizard" and delete
    those as well.

    Microtek entries are now removed from the Registry.

    4. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

    5. Run the setup for Scanwizard Version 5.7x. You can find the latest
    Scanwizard drivers for your scanner by clicking on the link below :

    http://www.support.microtek.com

    The Scanwizard version 5.7x should load setup and should proceed to
    install the software.

    Microtek Lab, Inc.
    16941 Keegan Avenue
    Carson, CA 90746
    Customer Service: 310-687-5940
    Basic Installation Group PC: 310-687-5911
    Basic Installation Group Mac: 310-687-5912
    Advance Consulting Group PC: 310-687-5921
    Advance Consulting Group Mac: 310-687-5922
    High-End Support PC & Mac: 310-687-5930
    Automated E-Mail Support: helpdesk@support.microtek.com
    Web Support: www.support.microtek.com

  5. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.scanners,alt.comp.periphs.scanner,comp.os.ms-windows.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt (More info?)

    Top post because of long quoted message.

    Looks like you got all of the instructions you needed.

    If you are still having computer problems, you may have to do a clean
    install of Windows. That means format the partition that windows is
    installed in and start from a blank formatted partition. That also means
    reinstalling all of your applications.

    Backup all of your data before formatting the hard drive!

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> [...]
    > The rest of the folders on the list will have manufacture or software
    > names. Look for folders named "Microtek..." or "Scanwizard" and delete
    > those as well.
    >
    > Microtek entries are now removed from the Registry.
    >
    > 4. Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.
    >
    > 5. Run the setup for Scanwizard Version 5.7x. You can find the latest
    > Scanwizard drivers for your scanner by clicking on the link below :
    >
    > http://www.support.microtek.com
    >
    > The Scanwizard version 5.7x should load setup and should proceed to
    > install the software.
    >

    > Microtek Lab, Inc.
    > 16941 Keegan Avenue
    > Carson, CA 90746
    > Customer Service: 310-687-5940
    > Basic Installation Group PC: 310-687-5911
    > Basic Installation Group Mac: 310-687-5912
    > Advance Consulting Group PC: 310-687-5921
    > Advance Consulting Group Mac: 310-687-5922

Scanners Windows 2000 Microtek Peripherals