Another 4x4 topic...8-)

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Enlighten me, what's the difference between this, and just getting a multi cpu board and shoving some opterons on it? Obviously AMD will 'tweak' some things, or at least claim to.

There's an old saying, that goes "you can't polish a turd" the turd being the FX cpu's which are not going to match intel's core2's on raw speed.
I just can't figure out who 4x4 is aimed at...

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
We have an expert about 4x4 here on THG, its inventor, known as BaronMatrix. He'll explain everything you need to know about 4x4, also by listening to him you'll get extra discount and get the 4x4 setup for half price and get a his free CD of AMD country music.

Basically there is no difference between 4x4 and any other server or workstation board. Programs and operating systems that can take advantage of four cores should see performance increases with a Socket 4x4 chipset system. The 4x4 socket is supposed to help AMD compete with Intel, which launched its new Conroe desktop microprocessors in late July 2006 and will launch its multi-chip module quad-core Kenstfield in early 2007 as the Intel QX6700.

In each socket will reside an AMD Athlon 64 FX CPU. Each socket will be connected using AMD's Direct Connect Architecture, which provides a dedicated channel between the CPU cores and from each CPU out to the system memory. Due to the nature of the Direct Connect architecture, each CPU can access the other's dedicated memory store.

All you are paying for is a board and CPU's that are aimed at gaming.

1616large73zo0.png

More heat, more power, same thing as the Kentsfield, with the exception that you can probably progress to octal cores. You essentailly buying a server system, that can game.
Hope this helps.
Ninja

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
We have an expert about 4x4 here on THG, its inventor, known as BaronMatrix. He'll explain everything you need to know about 4x4, also by listening to him you'll get extra discount and get the 4x4 setup for half price and get a his free CD of AMD country music.

ANd you'll also get instructions on how to make gojdos life revolve around your every word. Talk about a bargain.

ANd you'll also get instructions on how to make gojdos life revolve around your every word. Talk about a bargain.
Seriously, do the two of you ever turn it off? Not one time can the two of you be on one thread, and someone isn't saying something or flaming someone.

Don't give me the "he started it" crap either, because if you are as big of a man that you profess to be, you can ignore the comment and just add what you know.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished
Enlighten me, what's the difference between this, and just getting a multi cpu board and shoving some opterons on it? Obviously AMD will 'tweak' some things, or at least claim to.

There's an old saying, that goes "you can't polish a turd" the turd being the FX cpu's which are not going to match intel's core2's on raw speed.

It's aimed at AMD fans who refuse to switch to Intel no matter how superior Intel's offering is at the time. It allows AMD fans to claim to be running a Quad Core CPU and claim some level of eliteness.

Honestly.. 4x4 right now is sh!t. It will be good in time with the arrival of K8L, but as of right now.. it's total and utter crap. Useless crap, like a waste of hard earned cash.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

It's aimed at AMD fans who refuse to switch to Intel no matter how superior Intel's offering is at the time. It allows AMD fans to claim to be running a Quad Core CPU and claim some level of eliteness.

Honestly.. 4x4 right now is sh!t. It will be good in time with the arrival of K8L, but as of right now.. it's total and utter crap. Useless crap, like a waste of hard earned cash.

So you're saying they've turned in to HeatBurst just because Core 2 is faster?

Right, AMD is naturally progressing the FX platform. They can't clock 1GHz higher so the thing to do is make FX dual socket. If the 80% reported at the demo is correct that means Intel will HAVE TO HAVE Kentsfield to keep the Extreme Gamer title.

X6800 would probably need to be clocked to 4.0GHz to beat out to FX70. FX74 has the potential to defeat kentsfield.

We all know FX IS NOT A JOKE CPU.

Just like nVidia could release a two card single slot GPU and be faster AMD can add a second socket to FX.

What's the problem. Should AMD lay down and die because Intel finally stopped melting cases and is really competitive with K8?

I don't think so.

kmjohnso

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
It's more like a great idea that's 2years late. If they had introduced a consumer level 2-way system when dual-cores weren't available, it would have been something...

gallag

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

Right, AMD is naturally progressing the FX platform. They can't clock 1GHz higher so the thing to do is make FX dual socket. If the 80% reported at the demo is correct that means Intel will HAVE TO HAVE Kentsfield to keep the Extreme Gamer title.

X6800 would probably need to be clocked to 4.0GHz to beat out to FX70. FX74 has the potential to defeat kentsfield.

Just like nVidia could release a two card single slot GPU and be faster AMD can add a second socket to FX.

What's the problem. Should AMD lay down and die because Intel finally stopped melting cases and is really competitive with K8?

I don't think so.

so, in one breath you say "dont buy conroe for gameing because at high settings there is no advantage over a k8" then in another you say this crap.

question

Would you agree that a $1500 fx74 would be the same for a gamer as a e6300 (or within a few fps)?

djgandy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Basically there is no difference between 4x4 and any other server or workstation board. Programs and operating systems that can take advantage of four cores should see performance increases with a Socket 4x4 chipset system. The 4x4 socket is supposed to help AMD compete with Intel, which launched its new Conroe desktop microprocessors in late July 2006 and will launch its multi-chip module quad-core Kenstfield in early 2007 as the Intel QX6700.

In each socket will reside an AMD Athlon 64 FX CPU. Each socket will be connected using AMD's Direct Connect Architecture, which provides a dedicated channel between the CPU cores and from each CPU out to the system memory. Due to the nature of the Direct Connect architecture, each CPU can access the other's dedicated memory store.

All you are paying for is a board and CPU's that are aimed at gaming.

1616large73zo0.png

More heat, more power, same thing as the Kentsfield, with the exception that you can probably progress to octal cores. You essentailly buying a server system, that can game.
Hope this helps.
Ninja

Basically what i thought. It's a load of rubbish! It's nothing new, just rebranding already available technology to make it look nice to the consumer.

I can't see why gamers would need it. If more cores in the way, why not get a 4 socket board. If more raw single core power is the way, get a Core2 processor.
As we know for gaming, single core power is more important than multiple cores and all the fancy effects are done on the graphics card.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

I don't think so.

Uh? What have you been smoking?

Where is this report of an 80% performance increase per clock over Core 2 Duo?

The initial 4x4, is nothing more then Two K8 Dual Core CPU's on a single motherboard. In heavy Multithreaded applications it will perform admirably yet noticeably slower then Kentsfield.

Under games and other apps it will lag behind a Core 2 Duo E6700 and maybe even E6600. It's all logical. No games out there, save for Quake 4, take advantage of more then two cores. Most that take advantage of Multiple Cores don't even get that large of an increase in performance. The proof is achieved when looking at how Kentsfield performs under the current crop of games.

4x4 K8 will be slower then Kentfield under all applications save for a few memory benchmarks and any applications (can't think of one though) that may be limited by Kentsfield's memory bandwidth. 4x4 K8 will be slower then Core 2 Duo under all games and the vast majority of applications.

So seriously.. why waste cash on something inferior?

I'm not saying AMD should roll over and die. I'm saying consumers should use there head when purchasing.

And also.. I think all AMD fanboys and/or Intel fanboys should roll over and die.

My 2 Cents.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I don't think so.

so, in one breath you say "dont buy conroe for gameing because at high settings there is no advantage over a k8" then in another you say this crap.

question

Would you agree that a $1500 fx74 would be the same for a gamer as a e6300 (or within a few fps)?

Yet another Pnut gallery member. I have advised several people to go with Core 2. I would never tell anyone what to buy with their money. I would say and have said that any X2 or Core 2 will suit any user so it doesn't matter which one you get. That doesn't sound like "don't buy it" a-hole.

You can't tell if you're running at 70fps or 80fps.

Try getting a life.

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Usualy after taking the LSD therapy he smokes crack.

In his stupid world of illusions.

The initial 4x4, is nothing more then Two K8 Dual Core CPU's on a single motherboard...................................................................................................4x4 K8 will be slower then Core 2 Duo under all games and the vast majority of applications.
Try to explain this to the keyboard first. It is smarter than BaronBS.

Because he is retarded moron.

And also.. I think all AMD fanboys and/or Intel fanboys should roll over and die.
No.....trolls like BaronBS are fun, especialy when they get more frustrations while trolling on the forums.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

The initial 4x4, is nothing more then Two K8 Dual Core CPU's on a single motherboard...................................................................................................4x4 K8 will be slower then Core 2 Duo under all games and the vast majority of applications.

Because he is retarded moron.

No.....trolls like BaronBS are fun, especialy when they get more frustrations while trolling on the forums.

WOW, remind me never to get on your bad side. Your worse than actionman lol. I love the pics though, keep em coming, i've saved them all. :wink:

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

Becouse he is retarded moron.

LMAO, very entertaining post..

I must stress though that I don't hate BM. He's not as bad as some peeps I've encountered. Heck, some AMD fanboys whom I enjoy discussing with are MadModMike (I hear he goes by MrsBytch here) and my ex-co-worker Adam... he's an AMD nut. The only person I despise is Sharikou PHd. I hate that bastard... yes hate.

I don't like the extremism he oozes. Sadly some feel the only way you can counter extremism is with opposing extremism. I find a factual middle of the road approach works best.

BM needs to realize that he can't take what others say as factual information. It is an opinion. Especially not Sharikou PhD. If you don't discover it by yourself and are relying on someone else's interpretation then scrutinize every word of there interpretation and do more research into finding more sources.

My FTC link that I posted regarding HTT being an AMD innovation in name-only and that it is in fact just AMD taking an already existing working technology found on the Alpha EV7 and bringing it to the masses renaming it Hyper-transport. It is pretty clear that BaronMatrix get's overly excited from hearsay. Someone posts something about AMD and he jumps the gun without using rational judgment or doing a little bit of research. This has hurt his credibility.

To my credit I've been following semiconductor technology for well over a decade therefore I have had sort of a head start. Sorry if I'm a tad flamboyant in my presentation sometimes.. but mis-information infuriates me. Especially when I see a bunch of everyday consumers taking this sort of information as fact.

You know something gives me the feeling that any discussion on this topic ended with the third post....
Ah what the hell, it'll be fun to sit back and watch this one for now... you want any popcorn? [/enjoys the show]

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
You know something gives me the feeling that any discussion on this topic ended with the third post....
Ah what the hell, it'll be fun to sit back and watch this one for now... you want any popcorn? [/enjoys the show]
Yeah, but you have to admit, the thread title is somewhat flamebait. No offense to the OP. :p

Besides, we need a good flame war to get out the tensions every now and then.

No thanks, I've got kettle corn today. :D

busygamer01

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Why don't we just wait until 4x4 and that Intel chipset is released then we can say "Ha I told you, you f*cking Intel fanboy". I say all of your information is inaccurate. Besides what's wrong with being an AMD fanboy, huh? In this great capitalist country I can buy whatever the f*ck I want, and I don't give a sh*t about what others have to say. :D

NumenorLord

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Someone said that 4x4 will be good in time with the launching of K8L. Wouldn't it be better to mature the technology a little bit so at least the drivers can be solid when Barcelona comes out? Don't get me wrong - I'll never slap two processors in a 4x4 board. However, Rahul Sood said that there will be other possibilities for the board. From everything I've heard of so far, both quad core offerings (AMD and Intel both) are going to be awesome, so putting two of those in a computer is excessive by any degree.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Seriously, do the two of you ever turn it off? Not one time can the two of you be on one thread, and someone isn't saying something or flaming someone.

Don't give me the "he started it" crap either, because if you are as big of a man that you profess to be, you can ignore the comment and just add what you know.

O cmon, you gotta admit...

the non derogatory part had some good clean humor value to it. ...get a free CD of AMD country music---thats funny :lol:

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Why don't we just wait until 4x4 and that Intel chipset is released then we can say "Ha I told you, you f*cking Intel fanboy". I say all of your information is inaccurate. Besides what's wrong with being an AMD fanboy, huh? In this great capitalist country I can buy whatever the f*ck I want, and I don't give a sh*t about what others have to say. :D

Weve tried that route....believe me. Its the only logical route.
Some people refuse to wait till a CPU even has legitimate ES benchmarks let alone hits retail before making proclamations such as "Sliced bread ---bah nothing in comparison to this" " The Hoover dam? Peanuts" (this next one's my personal favorite) "..the darkside of Conroe". That one still makes me laugh. So others of us will jump in (Im am a horrible offender about that) to counter those claims to prevent people who dont know better from being hoodwinked.

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006

Weve tried that route....believe me. Its the only logical route.
Some people refuse to wait till a CPU even has legitimate ES benchmarks let alone hits retail before making proclamations such as "Sliced bread ---bah nothing in comparison to this" " The Hoover dam? Peanuts" (this next one's my personal favorite) "..the darkside of Conroe". That one still makes me laugh. So others of us will jump in (Im am a horrible offender about that) to counter those claims to prevent people who dont know better from being hoodwinked.

LOL, the darkside of conroe. What is that the back? 8)

Nevermind, stupid me. Its obviously relative to the light source. :roll:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I don't think so.

The initial 4x4, is nothing more then Two K8 Dual Core CPU's on a single motherboard. In heavy Multithreaded applications it will perform admirably yet noticeably slower then Kentsfield.

Under games and other apps it will lag behind a Core 2 Duo E6700 and maybe even E6600. It's all logical. No games out there, save for Quake 4, take advantage of more then two cores. Most that take advantage of Multiple Cores don't even get that large of an increase in performance. The proof is achieved when looking at how Kentsfield performs under the current crop of games.

4x4 K8 will be slower then Kentfield under all applications save for a few memory benchmarks and any applications (can't think of one though) that may be limited by Kentsfield's memory bandwidth. 4x4 K8 will be slower then Core 2 Duo under all games and the vast majority of applications.

I'm not saying AMD should roll over and die. I'm saying consumers should use there head when purchasing.

My 2 Cents.

Hopefully not what you've been smoking. I only compare AMD products to other AMD products so 4x4 is 80% faster THAN FX62.

Since 4x4 is SAID to be 80% faster in multithreading and allows you to shunt OS threads to two extra cores the beauty of it will be that it's much faster than FX62 and will carry twice as many active threads.

I would say that the 3.0GHz versions will get close to or pass Q6700 in certain FP applications like ScienceMark which means that engr's will be LOVING IT.

I'm sorry you hate AMD but that doesn't change the fact that if an FX62 system is $1700 and a 4x4 system is $2200 you are paying $500 for up to 80% more perf. That's a good deal. High end GPUs use up to 250W so I guess no one should buy those either.

Power Consumption
Watts
X1950XTX X1900XT 256MB X1950 Pro

Idle

Load

Power consumption with the 80nm die shrink is quite impressive. Under load the Radeon X1950 Pro manages to consume a mere 225 watts—54 watts less than the Radeon X1900XT 256MB. While the Radeon X1900XT 256MB delivers more pixel shading power, the Radeon X1950 Pro offers slightly better performance-per-watt in gaming.

Linkage for the weak.

Xeon Dempsey uses enough power to run a refrigerator nearly.
Linkage for the weak

965 EE loses in lots of benchmarks to X2 3800+ and probably uses 3X the power.

Where is your indignation about that? Where was your outrage as more HeatBurst SKUs were added?

Get a life. AMD has one.

ElMoIsEviL

Distinguished

I don't think so.

My 2 Cents.

Hopefully not what you've been smoking. I only compare AMD products to other AMD products so 4x4 is 80% faster THAN FX62.

Since 4x4 is SAID to be 80% faster in multithreading and allows you to shunt OS threads to two extra cores the beauty of it will be that it's much faster than FX62 and will carry twice as many active threads.

I would say that the 3.0GHz versions will get close to or pass Q6700 in certain FP applications like ScienceMark which means that engr's will be LOVING IT.

I'm sorry you hate AMD but that doesn't change the fact that if an FX62 system is $1700 and a 4x4 system is $2200 you are paying $500 for up to 80% more perf. That's a good deal. High end GPUs use up to 250W so I guess no one should buy those either.

Power Consumption
Watts
X1950XTX X1900XT 256MB X1950 Pro

Idle

Load

Power consumption with the 80nm die shrink is quite impressive. Under load the Radeon X1950 Pro manages to consume a mere 225 watts—54 watts less than the Radeon X1900XT 256MB. While the Radeon X1900XT 256MB delivers more pixel shading power, the Radeon X1950 Pro offers slightly better performance-per-watt in gaming.

Linkage for the weak.

Xeon Dempsey uses enough power to run a refrigerator nearly.
Linkage for the weak

965 EE loses in lots of benchmarks to X2 3800+ and probably uses 3X the power.

Where is your indignation about that? Where was your outrage as more HeatBurst SKUs were added?

Get a life. AMD has one.

UH? You sound like an even bigger idiot then before (if that's possible).

Why should I be outraged now about Netburst? It served it's purpose, and as far as i'm concerned died after the Pentium 4C. (yes idiot, Pentium 4C was an overall superior and more useful processor then the AthlonXP, Prescott was crap, I didn't buy one and I sure as hell have NEVER recommended one).

So 4x4 is up to 80% faster then an Athlon64 FX-62 according to you. Now could you kindly show us where you obtained this number?

Also I'd like to know under which applications. Now if it's 80% faster then an Athlon64 FX-62 when running Multithreaded applications, well no offense.. but umm NO SH!T! It's using two AMD Athlon64 FX level CPU's.. the same as having two Athlon64 FX-62 pretty much in SMP. So yes, it can now run 4 threads simultaneously and in applications sensitive to Multiple threads (like encoding) it could very well reach an 80% improvement.

But now, let's get something straight here. Per clock Core 2 Duo is 20-40% faster then AMD Athlon64 FX. Therefore if the 4x4 design gives you an 80% increase over a single AMD Athlon64 FX-62 then that would mean that Kentsfield would be around 100-120% faster then an AMD Athlon64 FX-62, thus still 20-40% faster per clock then 4x4.

Get my drift?

As for engineers loving a CPU that is faster under a single benchmarking program, I doubt it. Engineers use as many tweaks and tricks to get the best performance out of there software. Right now, Integer performance is more important then FPU performance. Even then, you're left with Core 2 Duo being faster per clock then Athlon64 FX-62 in sciencemark, therefore Kentsfield... you got it.. will be faster then 4x4 still.

Sisoft Memory Benchmark should be about just the only place 4x4 wins. :p I don't hate AMD, I'm a realist.. and I don't take too kindly to liars.