Remonster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I've spent the last couple of months coming up with a few good projects to get some of the kids (a group of 4 or 5) i work with interested and educated about electronics. I think a good way to wrap everything up is to walk the kids through their first desktop build. However my rather puny budget (it's all coming out of my pocket) has me stymied. In order to provide the parts needed for the kids to build the system, without my having to part with organs for funs, I've limited myself to a $150 per kid budget.

I began my scanvenging where it was most familiar for me: the discount parts bin and came up with a fairly cheap ($115) solution from WeirdStuff. While I could live with handing the kids 1.6ghz Durons, the thought of giving them used parts left me feeling a bit sick to my stomach.

As my search continued, I ran across this litte gem. The specs are close to those of the first system i came up with with only a slightly higher cost (btw, I plan on having them run Linux). Giving the kids a system that's already assembled would really put a damper on the whole building experience and I feel that it would be risky for me to tear the machines apart just to have the kids rebuild them again. Furthermore, I believe it should be possible to provide at least 256mb ram and somewhat newer hardware.

With the assistance of Newegg, I came up with a socket 754 Sempron 64 system for about $177. Despite having a motherboard that was adequate at best and a questionable power supply, I was pleased with what I had come up with. Unfortunately, shipping and handling left me with a staggering $205 per machine.

As much as I would like to spend a grand on this little project, it's simply not in my budget; with the money going into S&H I should be able to aquire parts for a sixth machine. I think it'd be best to aquire the case, hard drive, ram, power supply, and optical/floppy drives from local stores and get the motherboards and CPUs online. I've found 256mb of pc 2700 for about $25 and a 100gb pata 133 hard drive for $49.99 in local stores. I can scrounge for optical/flopply drives as well as cases. Though I am at a loss when it comes to finding a reliable power supply.

Most of the people i've asked to assist me on my little quest simply stare at me blankly and ask why I would waste my money in such a manner. I would greatly appreciate constructive feedback on building a computer on such a restricted budget. There are still quite a few things to work out... is the previously metioned Sempron the best choice to work with? Could an intel based system work better? Should I settle for AGP motherboards or attempt to find one with PCIx16? what should i do for the power supplies?

Sorry for the somewhat long, unorthodox post, but I think it's important to get feeback from those who actually know about this stuff before I commit to anything.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Is the $150 budget for the whole computer or just the motherboard+CPU?

So we are trying to make a $150 computer for kids? That doesn't sound too hard. I'll take that as a challenge!

So, what parts are we buying online? The whole computer? Some sites to give a look at:

slickdeals.net
fatwallet.com
geeks.com

Would getting a barebones kit be cheating? They can squeeze a lot of stuff in a small price. What you could do is get the kits, break them down, and then build it together.

Sempron is nice, Intel may be cheaper. AGP is fine, PCI-e will provide a longer upgrade path.

I have a question: Are we building these machines to last a while and be upgraded or just build a good, cheap, reliable rig, albeit one that is a dead-end? I'm asking so that we can choose on what socket. 754 is dead, 939 is dying, AM2 is new, but expensive. I'd go with 939.

Onboard video is OK, right?

Reply back and I think we should be able to do it!

~Ibrahim~

P.S. For our purposes, a case PSU will be just fine.

Remonster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
150 doesn't sound like a lot, but multiplied by five or six, the costs really start to add up quickly.

I was originally looking to buy the whole thing online, as the stores around here tend to mark up everything, but shipping costs for the whole thing add a lot to the cost. There's several computer stores in the area where i've seen parts going cheaply, such as cases (~26 dollars after rebate w/ 250w supply), ram and hard drives from fry's. and i've got cd drives laying around from a few old computers that i've come to realized i may have to use.

I've looked at geeks.com, as well as several other sites, but most lead to dead ends and shady looking deals.

Barebones wouldn't be cheating, in fact, i looked at that first, but was dismayed to find that they were a bit out of budget.

I'll be happy if the computers last the kids 3 years, with some options to upgrade (some of these kids can't even afford to buy shoes regularly) so that they can last longer if need be.

Onboard video is fine for now, Though i hope to add video cards later on to go through image editing with them.

ps. thanks for taking the challenge!

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
So, what do I need to fit inside this $150? How much do I need to leave over for your parts that you are buying locally?

~Ibrahim~

P.S. Sorry for so many questions!

Remonster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
for the moment, i think the cases ($30 dollars for one with a ~250w psu) are the only things that i don't want to get online (simply because shipping costs would be staggering). maybe one or two cdr drives (i have two sitting around). Though it's all pretty much up to you

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Wishlist!

OK, I've went overboard. I tried and tried, I can't fit the things I want in a $150 budget. I'm $13 over. Let me explain my choices:

DFI is a great motherboard maker and it is cheap. Good features, too.

The Sempron is clocked a little low, but it should equal a 2.8Ghz P4.

256MB is enough, right?

I had to squeeze in 80GB, I couldn't live with them only having 40GB.

I also could not live without a DVD player, they need at least that, right?

How is it? I can squeeze other places, but I think this is all right. If we can't fit stuff in this, we can try a P4 S. 478 build..

~Ibrahim~

Remonster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I couldn't see wishlist :-\.

when i went through and got everything iwanted i ended up $27 and 50 dollars over with tax and shipping.

DVD roms here are pretty much superfluous at the moment; i think it's more important for them to have cd-rw (for music work).

it's important to have 256, because i hope to have them work with all sorts of programs including the gimp, or if they want to move to windows.

I too went for the 80GB, at the local store offers a 100GB PATA-133 drive for 50 bucks.

Would going with Intel be cheaper? To be honest, I don't know enough about their chips to know what works best.

The budget doesn't need to include anything outside of the case. I'm more than certain that i can aquire monitors, keyboards, mice, and speakers elsewhere.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I'm sure there's a $150 computer somewhere. Like them yard sale or flea market or whatever, I know I've seen some but the pc was good enough to do some internet surfing. But building it with $150? That's the very hard part.

Remonster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
http://shop2.outpost.com/product/4714029

the only new prebuilt system i've ever seen for 150,but it ruins the whole point of having the kids build it. Giving them something used is totally out of the question since I want them to have something that is reliable.

yea, it is quite a challenge to provide something descent to build at that cost, but it is possible.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Stupid stupid stupid me. I've been forewarned that Wishlists sometimes do not go up and I've always responded "Nah, mine always work." I forgot to "Share" it. I'm sorry!

Here is the new 100% working link:

Working Wishlist!

Well, the DVD drive was only like $4 more, so I said, what the heck. P4 is cheaper, but slower. Chipsets don't matter too much, the 865 isn't bad. If this one doesn't work out, we can go for a P4 build.

~Ibrahim~

Remonster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
that looks like a good setup, though I am curious to see how much we'd save with an Intel system.

Alas, I tried to check how much it would run at with shipping and tax only to find that newegg has run out of the motherboards and hard drives.

I'm wondgering if it's possible to go with this ram: Corsair 256MB PC2700

That ram and the casestake ~$53 out of the budget, leaving about $87 for the Motherboard, ram and Hard drive.

Frys also has this hard drive: MXT-L01P100 100GB

but i think it's only available online as I've never seen those drives at the store.

I'm starting to wonder if I should find an even cheaper case, since the budget just keeps shrinking with each part. or try and move the budget up to 160ish?

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Damn, that was certainly unexpected! Can't believe they got rid of both products. Sure, there were old, but jeez! [sarcastic] Thanks NewEgg![/sarcastic]

That RAM is perfectly fine, it'll work great. The hard drive looks good, as well.

Well, the more money we can spend, it will be easier to get higher-quality components. I'm still looking for a replacement motherboard.

~Ibrahim~

mrreality13

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006

I tried to beat this and could'nt and im a really cheap bast@#d,but i found this combo
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813186029

Um also what about a os??
AND if you live near a micro center the store mgr might help you out if its for local kids ive found the one near me has a verry nice staff

I tried to beat this and could'nt and im a really cheap bast@#d,but i found this combo
http://www.newegg.com/product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813186029
Excellent find, let's add that to the list:

Foxconn K7S741GXMG-6L Socket A (Socket 462) + AMD Duron 1.6GHz$49.99
AMPO 256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) System Memory Model 35134588-P - Retail $24.99
Western Digital Caviar WD800BB 80GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA100 Hard Drive - OEM $41.99
ASUS Black E-IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM Drive Model CD-S520B - OEM $12.49
MASSCOOL Socket A Cooling kit 5R281B1H3G 60mm Ball Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail $4.99

Total = $134.45 before shipping

Um also what about a os??
He's going to use Linux I believe and buy cases locally to save on shipping.

Remonster

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I like linux, aside from the lack of good instruction manuals for some things. I'll probably go with the latest version of Ubuntu; it's relatively easy to use.

How reliable are refurbished hard drives?

Sweet, i like the $134.45 list, with the case it comes out to 164.45, and we can knock off another dollar (as well as shipping)if we go with the ram i mentioned earlier.

I'll try and go to the store today or tomorrow and see what they actually have in stock to see if more can come off that price tag.

Thanks for the help so far!

There's a flavor of Ubuntu made for kids called Edubuntu that you could try also.

I tried Linux but I could never get my wireless to work with any distribution except for SuSE 10.0. I always ran into a catch-22 with Ubuntu: I needed internet access to get something from the universal repository to get the wireless working, but I couldn't get internet access because my wireless wouldn't work!

I'm sure the refurb hard drive would work just fine, but it's only 40GB if that's OK. Newegg also has a refurb section you can browse to save money but I figured you were looking for new parts.