Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help scanning Negs, Nikon Coolscan IV ED

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 9:27:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

I'm having a strange problem with scanning B&W negatives on the Nikon
coolscan IV ED. Scanning slides and color negs works just fine, great
actually, but for some reason B&W negs are coming out very very dark. I
can barely see the image. I've tried adjusting using curves and the analog
gain, I also tried changing the gamma but that didnt work either. All the
adjustments are doing is brightning up the image but there are no details.
Dark areas are completely black, white areas are weird looking.

I'm using the MA-20 slide adapter and the FH-3 neg strip holder. I'm also
using Nikons scanning software. I figure its something I'm missing since
chromes and color negs are being scanned with no problems.

anyone have any ideas ?

Cheers
-AK
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 2:02:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Are you scanning silver bromide negatives with scratch removal? If yes, try
without it.

"Ara Kotchian" <ara@nospam.kotchian.org> wrote in message
news:Xns950E69B6CA1Cara@199.45.49.11...
> I'm having a strange problem with scanning B&W negatives on the Nikon
> coolscan IV ED. Scanning slides and color negs works just fine, great
> actually, but for some reason B&W negs are coming out very very dark. I
> can barely see the image. I've tried adjusting using curves and the
analog
> gain, I also tried changing the gamma but that didnt work either. All the
> adjustments are doing is brightning up the image but there are no details.
> Dark areas are completely black, white areas are weird looking.
>
> I'm using the MA-20 slide adapter and the FH-3 neg strip holder. I'm also
> using Nikons scanning software. I figure its something I'm missing since
> chromes and color negs are being scanned with no problems.
>
> anyone have any ideas ?
>
> Cheers
> -AK
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 4:30:18 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

In article <Xns950E69B6CA1Cara@199.45.49.11>, Ara Kotchian
<ara@nospam.kotchian.org> writes
>I'm having a strange problem with scanning B&W negatives on the Nikon
>coolscan IV ED. Scanning slides and color negs works just fine, great
>actually, but for some reason B&W negs are coming out very very dark. I
>can barely see the image. I've tried adjusting using curves and the analog
>gain, I also tried changing the gamma but that didnt work either. All the
>adjustments are doing is brightning up the image but there are no details.
>Dark areas are completely black, white areas are weird looking.
>
>I'm using the MA-20 slide adapter and the FH-3 neg strip holder. I'm also
>using Nikons scanning software. I figure its something I'm missing since
>chromes and color negs are being scanned with no problems.
>
>anyone have any ideas ?
>
ICE does not work with film containing residual silver in the emulsion,
such as conventional black and white film. Switch ICE off and your
scans should be OK.
--
Kennedy
Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.
Python Philosophers (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)
Related resources
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 4:34:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

I'm scanning Tmax-100, I'll try switching off ICE and see what happens.
Is this going to be true with any B&W film ? I like ICE, it really
reduces the amount of spotting I have to do :-(

BTW, I switched to Vuescan and its working prefectly, but I suppose
Vuescan is not using ICE.

Thanks

-AK



Kennedy McEwen <rkm@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in


news:+sFeGEEK4h1AFwHw@kennedym.demon.co.uk:

> In article <Xns950E69B6CA1Cara@199.45.49.11>, Ara Kotchian
> <ara@nospam.kotchian.org> writes
>>I'm having a strange problem with scanning B&W negatives on the Nikon
>>coolscan IV ED. Scanning slides and color negs works just fine, great
>>actually, but for some reason B&W negs are coming out very very dark.
>>I can barely see the image. I've tried adjusting using curves and the
>>analog gain, I also tried changing the gamma but that didnt work
>>either. All the adjustments are doing is brightning up the image but
>>there are no details. Dark areas are completely black, white areas are
>>weird looking.
>>
>>I'm using the MA-20 slide adapter and the FH-3 neg strip holder. I'm
>>also using Nikons scanning software. I figure its something I'm
>>missing since chromes and color negs are being scanned with no
>>problems.
>>
>>anyone have any ideas ?
>>
> ICE does not work with film containing residual silver in the
> emulsion, such as conventional black and white film. Switch ICE off
> and your scans should be OK.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 4:45:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

Ok, thanks guys, turning off ICE did the trick. It would have been helpful
if they had put a note or something in the paper and digital manuals or on
the Nikon site regarding the fact that ICE doesn't work with B&W film.
Sheesh!

-AK



>
> news:+sFeGEEK4h1AFwHw@kennedym.demon.co.uk:
>
>>>
>> ICE does not work with film containing residual silver in the
>> emulsion, such as conventional black and white film. Switch ICE off
>> and your scans should be OK.
>
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 6:11:14 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

In article <Xns9510B22944B93ara@199.45.49.11>, Ara Kotchian
<ara@nospam.kotchian.org> writes
>I'm scanning Tmax-100, I'll try switching off ICE and see what happens.
>Is this going to be true with any B&W film ? I like ICE, it really
>reduces the amount of spotting I have to do :-(
>
No, some B&W films are designed to be processed in C-41 chemistry which
bleaches out the silver. They are essentially single layer colour film
with black dye instead of colour. These work fine with ICE.

Suitable films are Kodak BW-400CN or Ilford XP-2.


>BTW, I switched to Vuescan and its working prefectly, but I suppose
>Vuescan is not using ICE.
>
Well it is using the IR channel, which is where the problem lies, if you
have set it up to do so. I think it is switched off by default. Check
under Filter|Infrared Clean if you want, but it won't work either. ;-)
--
Kennedy
Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed.
Python Philosophers (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when replying)
!