Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Core
  • AMD
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
October 10, 2006 1:33:55 PM

Hi Guys, I currently deciding on what PC to get. I am a long time AMD fan but in recent news ever since the Core 2 came out and killed the AMD so badly I'm leaning more to the E6400.

I wanted to know what MB to for if using the E6400. I know my AMD stuff but when it comes to Intel I'm completely lost. I have access to the Gigabyte and Intel boards. Not sure what to go for. I know I should go for a board that can use DDR2 800 but other than that...

Please can I get some suggestions. Oh yes. I'm also interested in overclocking. So the board has to be pretty decent at overclocking also.

Thanks

More about : motherboards core duo

October 10, 2006 2:55:12 PM

Howzit...Buget is not really an issue...due to the fact that 'm buying everything piece by piece and also i'm in South Africa so the pricing structure here is a little bit different to you guys. I already have an Nvidia 6600GT PCI-e. Looking to get bout a 2.8Ghz clock out of the chip. Unfortunately I am currently limited to Gigabyte and Intel cos I buy directly from the dealers.
Related resources
October 10, 2006 2:59:57 PM

I guess that pretty much negates my suggestions above if you can only get Gibabyte or Intel. I'll see if I can dig up a review on a board from them.
October 10, 2006 3:11:13 PM

I was just going to recommend the same board.

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

From what I've seen, I would not recommend an Intel board at the moment. There might be one, I'm just not aware of it.

I'd stick with the Gigabyte above or if you can get one of the boards I mentioned, one of those would be the way to go.
October 10, 2006 3:18:07 PM

I quoted the DS3, you said the S3. S3 is a little cheaper(117 vs 143) and only difference i can see is that it doesn't have a RAID controller. If you see any other difference that I may have missed, post for the OP.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2006 4:02:28 PM

I think I read somewhere that the DS3 has the solid state? capacitors while the S3 has the older style. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
October 10, 2006 4:10:47 PM

Correct about the Solid Caps,

I Love my DS3, Never had a Problem, Im limited to around 465FSB Due to my memory topping out at around 930mhz..

Nice board, and nice price :) 
October 11, 2006 5:58:18 AM

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have a look at all the boards suggested.

Also...what is the difference between solid state caps and normal caps? Is there really a difference?
October 11, 2006 2:41:47 PM

Quote:

Also...what is the difference between solid state caps and normal caps? Is there really a difference?

supposedly only in durability.
Conventional cap mobos are expected to last 3-4 years & the solid ones add 1-2 years to that.

Btw nobody has mentioned the Gigabyte DS4 which is probably the 1 that I would opt for if going 965 (it & the Biostar Tforce 965sare not available in the US cyrrently) - I'm probably going 975 & a 6600 though.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 11, 2006 4:31:26 PM

I was going to get a DS4 before I ended up with the P5B-Deluxe. But, yeah, I found out then that it's not available yet in USA.
!