Administrator account

I have only one account on Windows Xp pro, an administrator account. When I
go to create a new account, XP tells me I must first create an administrator
account. So I do so, and all my data/settings I had with the old
Administrator account are lost. It seems that my current Administrator
account isn't approved! How do I get about this? I need to create new limited
accounts but cant do so "without an administrator account"!
11 answers Last reply
More about administrator account

    F||SHY-_- wrote:
    > I have only one account on Windows Xp pro, an administrator account. When I
    > go to create a new account, XP tells me I must first create an administrator
    > account. So I do so, and all my data/settings I had with the old
    > Administrator account are lost. It seems that my current Administrator
    > account isn't approved! How do I get about this? I need to create new limited
    > accounts but cant do so "without an administrator account"!

    As you've just learned, once any additional user accounts have
    been created, the Administrator account will no longer be displayed on
    the Welcome Screen. This is a default security feature. By design,
    the only way to log into the Administrator account of WinXP Home is to
    reboot into Safe Mode. For WinXP Pro, pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
    the Welcome Screen will produce the standard login dialog box.

    The built-in Administrator account isn't intended to be used for
    day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to set a
    strong password on it and use it only to create another account for
    regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door" in
    case something corrupts your regular account(s).

    A wiser course of action would be to create another user account
    for your father's daily use, and copy desired the files and settings
    from the Administrator account to this newly created user profile.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Cause you shouldn't be using that one. As soon as you create an admin account it will hide the inbuilt admin account.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5816D486-F7EA-4449-92F3-36BE27F72D08@microsoft.com...
    >I have only one account on Windows Xp pro, an administrator account. When I
    > go to create a new account, XP tells me I must first create an administrator
    > account. So I do so, and all my data/settings I had with the old
    > Administrator account are lost. It seems that my current Administrator
    > account isn't approved! How do I get about this? I need to create new limited
    > accounts but cant do so "without an administrator account"!

    So what about all the stuff and settings I lose? Is there a way I can
    transfer everything?

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Cause you shouldn't be using that one. As soon as you create an admin account it will hide the inbuilt admin account.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5816D486-F7EA-4449-92F3-36BE27F72D08@microsoft.com...
    > >I have only one account on Windows Xp pro, an administrator account. When I
    > > go to create a new account, XP tells me I must first create an administrator
    > > account. So I do so, and all my data/settings I had with the old
    > > Administrator account are lost. It seems that my current Administrator
    > > account isn't approved! How do I get about this? I need to create new limited
    > > accounts but cant do so "without an administrator account"!

    Type in Help
    copy profile

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B64D584D-B441-4234-B134-C05062FD41A2@microsoft.com...
    > So what about all the stuff and settings I lose? Is there a way I can
    > transfer everything?
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> Cause you shouldn't be using that one. As soon as you create an admin account it will hide the inbuilt admin account.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5816D486-F7EA-4449-92F3-36BE27F72D08@microsoft.com...
    >> >I have only one account on Windows Xp pro, an administrator account. When I
    >> > go to create a new account, XP tells me I must first create an administrator
    >> > account. So I do so, and all my data/settings I had with the old
    >> > Administrator account are lost. It seems that my current Administrator
    >> > account isn't approved! How do I get about this? I need to create new limited
    >> > accounts but cant do so "without an administrator account"!

    It doesnt let me copy the profile.
    It says "Failed to set Security on the Destiniation Profile. Error - Access
    is denied."
    I am trying to copy the profile to C:\Documents and Settings\*new
    administrator account*.

    Am I doing something wrong?

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Type in Help
    > copy profile

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B64D584D-B441-4234-B134-C05062FD41A2@microsoft.com...
    > > So what about all the stuff and settings I lose? Is there a way I can
    > > transfer everything?
    > >
    > > "David Candy" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Cause you shouldn't be using that one. As soon as you create an admin account it will hide the inbuilt admin account.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> http://www.uscricket.com

    You have to do it wth a user account not involved in the copy.

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7EB09C4-5D0C-41BB-8D2F-8B3486C3C240@microsoft.com...
    > It doesnt let me copy the profile.
    > It says "Failed to set Security on the Destiniation Profile. Error - Access
    > is denied."
    > I am trying to copy the profile to C:\Documents and Settings\*new
    > administrator account*.
    >
    > Am I doing something wrong?
    >

    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> Type in Help
    >> copy profile
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B64D584D-B441-4234-B134-C05062FD41A2@microsoft.com...
    >> > So what about all the stuff and settings I lose? Is there a way I can
    >> > transfer everything?

    I created another administrator account and tried to do the copy, but it
    still gives me the same error.

    Thanks for your help btw...much appreciated

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > You have to do it wth a user account not involved in the copy.

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7EB09C4-5D0C-41BB-8D2F-8B3486C3C240@microsoft.com...
    > > It doesnt let me copy the profile.
    > > It says "Failed to set Security on the Destiniation Profile. Error - Access
    > > is denied."
    > > I am trying to copy the profile to C:\Documents and Settings\*new
    > > administrator account*.
    > >
    > > Am I doing something wrong?
    > >

    > > "David Candy" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Type in Help
    > >> copy profile
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> http://www.uscricket.com

    Have you marked your files private or anything?

    http://www.uscricket.com
    "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:660EAB2D-37D6-4B72-95B5-08E680804169@microsoft.com...
    >I created another administrator account and tried to do the copy, but it
    > still gives me the same error.
    >
    > Thanks for your help btw...much appreciated
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> You have to do it wth a user account not involved in the copy.
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7EB09C4-5D0C-41BB-8D2F-8B3486C3C240@microsoft.com...
    >> > It doesnt let me copy the profile.
    >> > It says "Failed to set Security on the Destiniation Profile. Error - Access
    >> > is denied."
    >> > I am trying to copy the profile to C:\Documents and Settings\*new
    >> > administrator account*.

    Not that i know of, i dont recall marking any files,
    can i check if they are?

    "David Candy" wrote:

    > Have you marked your files private or anything?

    > http://www.uscricket.com
    > "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:660EAB2D-37D6-4B72-95B5-08E680804169@microsoft.com...
    > >I created another administrator account and tried to do the copy, but it
    > > still gives me the same error.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help btw...much appreciated
    > >
    > > "David Candy" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You have to do it wth a user account not involved in the copy.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> http://www.uscricket.com

    You can but I don;t know how as I use advanced interface.

    Type in Start - Run
    Control userpasswords2
    Add your account using the Add button. Then on the Advanced tab click the Advanced button, select your new account under users - Properties - Profile and enter the path for the user's folder. Let windows create the folder.

    It seems to work to change the current logged on user too.

    So log on and do this to the logged on user.
    http://www.uscricket.com
    "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0031E3FB-F1B7-4F59-BBD4-6CB5516B5DA9@microsoft.com...
    > Not that i know of, i dont recall marking any files,
    > can i check if they are?
    >
    > "David Candy" wrote:
    >
    >> Have you marked your files private or anything?
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.uscricket.com
    >> "F||SHY-_-" <FSHY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:660EAB2D-37D6-4B72-95B5-08E680804169@microsoft.com...
    >> >I created another administrator account and tried to do the copy, but it
    >> > still gives me the same error.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for your help btw...much appreciated

    No luck...it didnt work. I just did a system restore and deleted all the new
    folders that were created in the C:\Documents and Settings\ folder, so I am
    back to where I was.
    Any more ideas?

Microsoft Windows XP