Sign in with
Your question

Asus P5B Basic Overclocking Review (Bios 709)

Last response: in Overclocking
October 10, 2006 3:43:01 PM

Ok, so I got a chance to test the overclocking capabilities of this motherboard, and though the new bios fixes many issues that the old bios has had, the overclocking ability is still minimum.

The P5B Basic, is not the same Motherboard, Bios, nor does it even seem related to ANY other P5B motheboard made by Asus. This means that if you own a P5B Deluxe, you have a COMPLETELY different MoBo. If you own a P5B Deluxe, then I am assured that you will find that the issues in this article are not true to your application.

On the older versions of the Bios (509) the ability to increase the Multiplier was added to the X6800 and was set to a maximum x13. This remains true, and is significantly low compaired to the x15 on almost any other manufacturers have.

A multiplier of x13 is completely unstable and will not boot windows, regardless of FSB settings that would lead to underclocking every aspect of the motherboard. (example: 200 x 13 = 2600). This remains true.

Previous Bios (509) allowed the X6800 to overclock the Multiplier to 12x and still run 1066mhz memory. At 1:1 (533mhz Memory) a single increase of FSB on the (11x or 12x) would lead to a failure on Boot, or complete system instability

I was able to overclock my X6800 from 2.93ghz to around 3.3ghz, at a 1.40v, and a 1000mhz memory speed (66mhz underclock)! Prime95 -t duel instance failed after 1 hour. (300 x 11 = 3300).

I was able to run the MoBo at (280 x 12 = 3360) though I havent yet smashed it with a long test of Prime95. My memory speeds will drop due to the lower FSB.

All tests show that an increase of 1 on the FSB numbers above, leads to a failure of the Duel Prime95 after just a few minutes.

The limitation of 2.1v on the memory continues to be an area of concern and a major limitation of this Motherboard. Corsair and many 1066 memory requires 2.2v!

Though I did drop my memory multiplier 1 step for both tests; Lower Memory Multipliers (1:1) seem to provided no additional system stability or overclocking ability.

The Northbridge heatsink runs hot (you can put your finger on it but it is uncomfortable). I upgraded the passive aluminum heatsink on the northbridge of the Asus P5B to a copper swiftech fan based heatsink, and found that this did nothing to improve the performance of the overclocking.

Note: a single instance of Prime95 on either processor will run forever.

No tests were done to confirm any improvements to the RAID ability of the Motherboard.

Pro's: Additional overclocking ability has been added. Stable Product for the non-overclocker. Lowest Priced P965 Asus Mobo. Each BIOS upgrade improves motherboard performance. Lower CPU temps then 509. Solid PIDE performance even with duel CD/DVD Rom Reader and Writer's. Fast BIOS release schedule.

Con's: As a relative midranged priced MoBo, $144.99, this board continues to have very limited overclocking ability. The history of this board and its bios limitations continue to provide useless as a stable platform for the expert user. Product support is vertually non-existant. Asus Product and Sales website is fast, offering quick responses and fast descriptions of product details, while the Asus's support Forums, Driver Downloads, and all support related materials become unavailable during long lasting peak times. Website users password accounts require the user to constantly request a new password to log in. Long forms with a huge list of required product details and other added products creates a very long time to ask simple online support questions. Hours spent seeking online support, has lead to no return emails or answers. High end water cooled system (with C2E disabled) temps are MUCH higher then any other reported aircooled system.

Users who want a great motherboard without the additional features the "High-End" (aka "High Priced") MoBo's offer, should look elsewhere. No current P965 Mobo supports SLI or Crossfire support. Higher costing Motherboards that offer duel x16 PCI Express slots a very expensive option. No current add-on products other then the VideoCard Market require or offer support for PCI x16 Slots.

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 which is priced at the same level as the P5B, is reported to offer some of the best overclocking ability. An additional 2 SATA devices, DUEL BIOS PROTECTION, and the great online support offered by Gigabyte makes this product a complete waste of money.

Other Asus Mobo's have been reported as reliable and great products, with high prices. Many people on this website love Asus, and havent experianced the P5B BASIC product problem list. Based on Asus's product support and product quality. I will never buy another Asus product, and recommend others to look elsewhere for all products.

Final Thoughts: I will keep using this motherboard at a lower stable overclocking speed with low CPU voltages. X6800 is a very fast processor that currently doesnt really need a high clockspeed to perform the toughest applications. Hopefully Asus will improve this product to a suitable solution to me.
October 10, 2006 4:32:01 PM

thanks very useful!

in my exeperiance most asus bords are very solid (allthough often nothing fancy) but there web site (support) is a joke (i will never use an asus a web server lol)

on the other hand have you tryed anything by pcChips!
October 11, 2006 1:21:02 AM

I have tested the machine further and find it unstable at 295 x 11 with less then 1 hour. I will attempt to set it to 267x11 and see if it also fails.

I have a nagging urge to rush out and buy a new board, but my gut tells me to wait for bigger better things. Maybe the Quads will come out, and we will be able to buy Extreme Processors for like $100, and they will come out with $100 duel or quad processor motherboards.

Then again... hell may freeze over.
Related resources
October 11, 2006 4:12:12 PM

Thats it... Ive had enough...

Failures on Prime, High CPU temps, failures on prime.

I have a feeling it is a problem with Corsairs 8500c5. The asus low memory voltage and incorrectly setting the memory to 5-6-6-15.

Giga-byte S3 lists Corsairs 8500c5 as compatable.

I just bought a Giga-Byte S3

F#@$ YOU ASUS!

Mike

BTW; Anyone want to buy a Asus P5B?
October 14, 2006 8:44:26 PM

Very nice report. I would like to see more reports like this among this forums :) 
October 14, 2006 10:04:07 PM

Quote:
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 which is priced at the same level as the P5B, is reported to offer some of the best overclocking ability. An additional 2 SATA devices, DUEL BIOS PROTECTION, and the great online support offered by Gigabyte makes this product a complete waste of money.

What? :?

Edit: Oh wait you were talking about the Asus. Kinda confusing.
October 15, 2006 2:33:19 AM

hehe, yeah...

Well I havent gotten it yet... I was going to get it friday, but Buffalo NY got hit with 24" of snow in 12 hours... I live in Rochester (1 hour), and we didnt even get a slight dusting on the ground. So UPS is shut down in Buffalo. I hope to get it Monday... that reminds me, I got to check the status.
October 19, 2006 10:57:45 AM

YOU ARE AN IDIOT! You bought the x6800 which is the most expensive C2D , but failed to buy a decent mobo for that superb cpu, so, you must be an idiot. actualy you are the king of all idiots. :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy: :trophy:
October 19, 2006 11:01:56 AM

actualy is not asus to be blammed for your stupidity!
October 19, 2006 11:47:13 AM

Who is this guy!? 6 posts and already insulting??
He can have enough fun with the multiplier alone but he did make a mistake on getting the P5B but for me, he made up for exploring it well once he had it. Now hes selling it.
October 19, 2006 12:10:38 PM

Quote:
Who is this guy!? 6 posts and already insulting??
He can have enough fun with the multiplier alone but he did make a mistake on getting the P5B but for me, he made up for exploring it well once he had it. Now hes selling it.
you are right man, I should have not insulted him, BUT just take a look at what this guy bought: the best cpu with a cheap mobo, NOW , everybody knows that the components must be in the same range of performence. And by the way, he was the one how insulted first, he insulted asus. that is an asus for intel procs with intel chipset on it............ quad erat demonstrandum.
October 19, 2006 1:14:24 PM

a $150 mobo, is not a cheap mobo.

The design for the Asus Deluxe includes heatsinks that require a air cooled machine. I run a watercooled machine.

Sorry, but the Asus P5B Basic seemed like the best choice for a watercooler, if you could assume that P5B's where all different levels of the same MoBo. Ofcourse that assumption was wrong.

Now I bought a Giga-byte for the same price as the Asus P5B Basic, and it is much better.

Sorry, but I just didnt need the features of the Deluxe versions. Why should I pay money for 2 PCI-Ex16's when their not crossfire capable, and the design requires watercooling.

The decision to buy the P5B over the deluxe edition was based on good solid information available at the time. It is unfortunate that Asus Sold a board claiming it supported the X6800 when it simply does not. I do not expect products of higher cost to be of better design. Especially when they are labeled as if they are in the same product line.

Mike
October 19, 2006 1:38:53 PM

Youve got the Gigabyte DS3 or DQ6?? *crosses fingers*

The Asus P5B Deluxe and P5W DH included a fan for the heatsinks in case youre using water.
October 19, 2006 3:25:47 PM

DS3

Its a very good motherboard; overclocks well...
October 19, 2006 5:12:16 PM

Quote:
a $150 mobo, is not a cheap mobo.

The design for the Asus Deluxe includes heatsinks that require a air cooled machine. I run a watercooled machine.

Sorry, but the Asus P5B Basic seemed like the best choice for a watercooler, if you could assume that P5B's where all different levels of the same MoBo. Ofcourse that assumption was wrong.

Now I bought a Giga-byte for the same price as the Asus P5B Basic, and it is much better.

Sorry, but I just didnt need the features of the Deluxe versions. Why should I pay money for 2 PCI-Ex16's when their not crossfire capable, and the design requires watercooling.

The decision to buy the P5B over the deluxe edition was based on good solid information available at the time. It is unfortunate that Asus Sold a board claiming it supported the X6800 when it simply does not. I do not expect products of higher cost to be of better design. Especially when they are labeled as if they are in the same product line.

Mike
You are making mistake after mistake: first of all the p5b is a cheap mobo compared to over models from asus which suport C2D. second: the P5B deluxe does not have 2 pci-e, actualy there is no mobo with 965p chipset to have 2 pci-e, you shpuld really make your homework on mobos before talking about them and saying things that are not true, to hell, you could very well be a gigabyte worker that wants to discredit Asus.
October 19, 2006 6:11:25 PM

I'm not sure you did your homework either. What 965P are you talking about? The Gigabyte DQ6 is listed as a 965P, but uses the P965 chipset, and has 2 PCI-E X16 slots, 3 PCI-E X1 slots and 2 PCI slots. Run a search on Newegg and you'll find several of P965 boards with mutlitple PCI-E X16 and PCI-E X1 slots.
October 19, 2006 6:37:57 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure you did your homework either. What 965P are you talking about? The Gigabyte DQ6 is listed as a 965P, but uses the P965 chipset, and has 2 PCI-E X16 slots, 3 PCI-E X1 slots and 2 PCI slots. Run a search on Newegg and you'll find several of P965 boards with mutlitple PCI-E X16 and PCI-E X1 slots.

Actualy, the DQ6 and the other mobos you are speaking of , they have the P965 Expres chipset, not the P965, I was speaking in my old post about the P5B series that have the P965.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 19, 2006 6:45:20 PM

deceneu may have been referring to the second PCIe being only 4x instead of full 16x on the P5B-Deluxe. However, it is in error to say that the P5B-Deluxe or DQ6 do not have 2 PCIe's because they actually do.
October 19, 2006 7:38:05 PM

Quote:
Actualy, the DQ6 and the other mobos you are speaking of , they have the P965 Expres chipset, not the P965, I was speaking in my old post about the P5B series that have the P965.

:?:

According to Intel, the P965 Express is the only 965 chipset aside from the Q and G. In other words, the P965 and the P965 Express are one and the same. In fact, all ASUS P965 boards currently listed on Newegg are noted as having the P965 Express chipset. As well as all P965 boards on Asus' website are noted as having the P965 Express chipset.

I think it's just a simple mistake of online sites not correctly describing the product all the time not actually two different P965 chipsets.

I can agree with rwpritchett's explanantion too.
October 19, 2006 7:54:18 PM

Quote:
deceneu may have been referring to the second PCIe being only 4x instead of full 16x on the P5B-Deluxe. However, it is in error to say that the P5B-Deluxe or DQ6 do not have 2 PCIe's because they actually do.

well, when your wrong your wrong, there is no shame in it, I was wrong, but it is also true that some site depict their product in a bad manner. however I can not understand why some mobos with P965 have 2 pci-e slots and others have just 1 slot? And those that have 2 slots why is one of those just a 4x slot, is it whorty buying 2 cards for those mobos?
October 19, 2006 9:45:00 PM

Quote:
DS3

Its a very good motherboard; overclocks well...

Its a really good board for the price. The DQ6 has two PCIe X16 and reaches higher voltages but hey with an X6800, who needs it?? lol

Just out of curiosity, whats the top FSB settable in the DS3?
October 19, 2006 11:24:11 PM

I got it running stable at 1.45v with 322fsb

11x322=3.542ghz

I can go farther, of course but I am happy with a lower vCore. I drew the line in the sand at 1.45v! I need a long lasting chip and with a high end watercooling system like I have, this chip should last along time (we hope)

Asus Motherboards are the some of the most expensive motherboards on the market.
October 19, 2006 11:29:46 PM

The max it sais in the bios is 700. But I would like to see someone get there.
October 20, 2006 12:25:01 AM

Quote:
The max it sais in the bios is 700. But I would like to see someone get there.

Weird, I read a review where it was 500 then this guy tols me it was 600. Youre sure of this and youre using the lastest BIOS update?
October 20, 2006 12:36:10 AM

Im using F6. The latest one is F7. I will install it and keep you updated
October 20, 2006 1:15:05 AM

I upgraded to F7 and it is still 700mhz. Are you sure your sources had bios updates?
October 20, 2006 1:40:07 AM

The max could be 10,000...

that doesnt make me feel any safer at pushing it that far:) 

The Giga-byte is an overbuilt monster, for an amazing price. I am in aww at all the large components on the board, esspecially when you put it against Asus's P5B (basic).

Makes me feel warm inside that the power the components will receive will be nice and conditioned (only after shampoo'ing ofcourse)

:) 
October 20, 2006 1:41:40 AM

Did you overclock it yet? How high have you gotten?
October 20, 2006 2:09:32 AM

322x11
at 1.45vCore
+.1 FSB
+.1 vMCH

Increasing FSB or vMCH doesnt seem to allow for an increase in speed...

and the vCore is as high as Im going to go...

I am happy with a 3.5+ ghz processor, that runs on PRIME95 under 55c, and is only 1.45 vCore.

Im going to see if I can drop the vCore some without loosing performance.

I know that the vCore requirements started to really pile up after 300mhz FSB. Seems like I needed to raise the vCore up over .15 for every 10mhz I increase the FSB...

I am happy with what I got... Im not looking to have a high clock speed... I will save that OCing for a few years when I really need it. I am looking for settings that will provide years of opperation. I bought the X6800 cause I new it would be the best of the bin products. I bought a watercooling to allow me to overclock safely. I got both of thoose goals met, and am very happy with my machine (FINALLY)! I am only waiting to find out why the memory wont run at 1066. Above 950mhz, it starts to fail. I have Corsairs 8500c5 and it is listed as compatable, but it doesnt run at 1066. I do have the memory running high, though I dont remember what it is off the top of my head.

Mike

P.S. The GigaByte runs the X6800 at the above settings 5-10 degrees lower then a FSB 266mhz Asus P5B with c2e off. I am amazed at the high prices Asus MoBo's are... They are the most expensive ones around... yet everything I see about GigaByte is good, with the exception of thoose with DOA boards. I will be buying Gigabyte from now on...
October 20, 2006 2:14:36 AM

Ya I couldn't get any farther if I increased fsb and mch voltage. It would go just as high as it did when It was on regular. So I just leave them alone.
October 20, 2006 2:31:34 AM

Im no crazed Overclocker... just a guy who wants the most for his money, and some fun doing it... Im sure I could hit 3.8ghz, but I just dont want to push things...

Mike
October 20, 2006 5:09:28 AM

I trust you more, an owner with the F7 BIOS, than my "sources".
!