Nikon digital camera installation

November 26, 2004 7:29:10 AM

I am trying to install the drivers for my Nikon camera. I've tried on my PC
(XP Home) and laptop (XP Pro) but at the point of "Installing PTP driver INF
files" I get the same error message on both computers
Q317181 Setup Error
Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of the system installed is
newer than the update you are applying to it.
You can only install this update on a computer with no Serive Packs installed.
I've looked through the Support pages and see there is an issue but can't
see how to resolve it. I had XP Service Pack 2 on the PC and uninstalled it
thinking that might be the issue but it hasn't made any difference.

MS PictureIt doesn't detect the camera either.

I have a couple of photos that I need to send to someone fairly urgently so
help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in anticipation
November 26, 2004 11:30:15 AM

On Friday, November 26, 2004 7:29 AM ,
Kathryn <Kathryn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install the drivers for my Nikon camera. I've tried on
> my PC (XP Home) and laptop (XP Pro) but at the point of "Installing
> PTP driver INF files" I get the same error message on both computers
> Q317181 Setup Error

> Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of the system
> installed is newer than the update you are applying to it.
> You can only install this update on a computer with no Serive Packs
> installed. I've looked through the Support pages and see there is an
> issue but can't
> see how to resolve it. I had XP Service Pack 2 on the PC and
> uninstalled it thinking that might be the issue but it hasn't made
> any difference.

Kathryn,

According to Microsoft, this issue was resolved in SP1.

Have you tried simply plugging in the cam via USB, turning it on, and
running the scanners/cameras wizard in Control panel?

> MS PictureIt doesn't detect the camera either.

Nothing will, until you "set the camera up" as described above.

Hey? It's worth a shot if you haven't tried it already.

Bill
<snip>
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 4:58:31 PM

The easiest and most sure-fire solution is to set the camera to "Mass
Storage" instead of PTP. Then when you plug the camera (or card reader) into
the computer it (the computer) will simply see the camera / card reader as
another disk drive. You can then drag or copy the files from the camera
"drive" to your hard drive.

The above method does not require the installation of any Nikon programs.

Hope this resolves your problem.
!