Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to upgrade sp1 to sp2 now!

Tags:
  • Support
  • Windows Update
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
October 10, 2006 8:08:04 PM

I know this is the wrong section, but in the software section nobody ever replies to u. Windows update wont open and support for sp1 ended today. i am happy with it but i want support, not trojans crawling through my system. Help? And if there is no hope, can someone send me the file on the email i will provide to them?

More about : upgrade sp1 sp2

October 10, 2006 8:25:16 PM

SP2 is not gonna help you to prevent trojans or malware, if you really want to protect your pc then you have to buy 3rd party software like McAfee or Zonelabs (I like its triple firewall, but it may annoy you because it ask a lot of permission)
October 10, 2006 8:37:42 PM

Sp1 is fine, Microsoft is just doing it to get more money out of people as well as catch people using pirated software/pirated windows.

Here is what I suggest:
If you only have 2 hard drives go buy a 3rd one. If you have 3 hard drives..

Put windows and drivers on 1.
Put programs on the 2nd.
Put games on the 3rd.

If anything goes wrong, scan for virus using panda antivirus or avast.
Spyware check using AdAware SE personal, and Spybot search & destroy.

If the trojan/worm still exists format the affected drive...and reinstall the stuff.
Related resources
October 10, 2006 8:56:18 PM

Yep. SP2 is not that much of a difference from SP1, Windows XP security is crap no matter what version you have.
October 10, 2006 9:04:57 PM

if you really want sp2 (it includes sp1 too) here is a link from microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyI...

Its a 266mb download and is the IT server deployment version but it will work for you. Just hope you have broadband...

P.S. Just ignore all the warning messages about it being for multiple pcs and how its available on windows update, this works fine for 1 pc.
October 10, 2006 10:19:28 PM

You can also order a free CD that contains SP2 directly from Microsoft. I'd get it as it is the only free thing you'll ever get from them.
October 10, 2006 11:46:48 PM

Good call, weilin.

Quote:
Yep. SP2 is not that much of a difference from SP1, Windows XP security is crap no matter what version you have.

Not entirely true. While it's true that the security updates in SP2 are aimed primarily at the user community (not the IT Pro community), there are security enhancements:

Internet Explorer enhancements, Windows Firewall, updated "Windows Security Center", Outlook Express security enhancements and wireless security enhancements.

Quote:
Sp1 is fine, Microsoft is just doing it to get more money out of people as well as catch people using pirated software/pirated windows.

Here is what I suggest:
If you only have 2 hard drives go buy a 3rd one. If you have 3 hard drives..

Put windows and drivers on 1.
Put programs on the 2nd.
Put games on the 3rd.

If anything goes wrong, scan for virus using panda antivirus or avast.
Spyware check using AdAware SE personal, and Spybot search & destroy.

If the trojan/worm still exists format the affected drive...and reinstall the stuff.

OK... you are on crack or something. I'm going to show you something that you should check out: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(computing)". It's called partitioning. I think you're going to like it! :lol: 

Anyway, if MS is trying to get more money out of people why is SP2 free? I am not saying that MS isn't trying to get more money out of consumers (since they obviously are, since that is obviously the point of any for-profit organization), but your rationale seems to be somewhat lacking.

Yes, MS is trying to crack down on piracy. But what's wrong with that? If you invested years of your life to create a product, would you not try to make sure that product was not stolen?

If you people are so against Microsoft, stop using Windows XP and stop whining please!
October 11, 2006 12:11:46 AM

Partitioning a single drive for OS and programs is not nearly as good nor fast as using one harddrive for OC, another for user created data files and another as a scratch/swap disk...
October 11, 2006 12:31:10 AM

Good point, but 3lfk1ng didn't mention anything about performance gains. Plus, CarPcMelee didn't ask about an upgrade he could buy for his PC that would get him a performance gain. He only asked about how to acquire XP SP2.
October 11, 2006 12:34:03 AM

Download the program Drop my Rights and use it for internet like IE or on line games its the safest way.
October 11, 2006 12:57:47 AM

lol thnks guys for all your help. about the partitions, i was one step ahead of u guys 2 years ago :) . Since there is really no diff between the sp's, i wont bother changing. thnks!!!!!!!!!
October 11, 2006 1:22:04 AM

Quote:
Good call, weilin.

Yep. SP2 is not that much of a difference from SP1, Windows XP security is crap no matter what version you have.

Not entirely true. While it's true that the security updates in SP2 are aimed primarily at the user community (not the IT Pro community), there are security enhancements:

Internet Explorer enhancements, Windows Firewall, updated "Windows Security Center", Outlook Express security enhancements and wireless security enhancements.

Quote:
Sp1 is fine, Microsoft is just doing it to get more money out of people as well as catch people using pirated software/pirated windows.

Here is what I suggest:
If you only have 2 hard drives go buy a 3rd one. If you have 3 hard drives..

Put windows and drivers on 1.
Put programs on the 2nd.
Put games on the 3rd.

If anything goes wrong, scan for virus using panda antivirus or avast.
Spyware check using AdAware SE personal, and Spybot search & destroy.

If the trojan/worm still exists format the affected drive...and reinstall the stuff.

OK... you are on crack or something. I'm going to show you something that you should check out: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(computing)". It's called partitioning. I think you're going to like it! :lol: 

Anyway, if MS is trying to get more money out of people why is SP2 free? I am not saying that MS isn't trying to get more money out of consumers (since they obviously are, since that is obviously the point of any for-profit organization), but your rationale seems to be somewhat lacking.

Yes, MS is trying to crack down on piracy. But what's wrong with that? If you invested years of your life to create a product, would you not try to make sure that product was not stolen?

If you people are so against Microsoft, stop using Windows XP and stop whining please!

Dude, I didnt say there is no enhancement in SP2, I said its security is crap no matter what version of Win XP he has. And stop showing crap about IE explorer security enhancement because it is a joke, so is the MS security center. You are not gonna sucessfully advise anybody about those enhancements.
October 11, 2006 1:43:26 AM

as little as it is, it does help and its free, id advise you get it. Besides, you would need their 2000+ hot-fixes to keep u protected from all those microsoft holes. Holes that not even a firewall can really help you. (dont quote me on this one)
October 11, 2006 2:48:42 AM

Quote:
Good call, weilin.

Yep. SP2 is not that much of a difference from SP1, Windows XP security is crap no matter what version you have.

Not entirely true. While it's true that the security updates in SP2 are aimed primarily at the user community (not the IT Pro community), there are security enhancements:

Internet Explorer enhancements, Windows Firewall, updated "Windows Security Center", Outlook Express security enhancements and wireless security enhancements.

Quote:
Sp1 is fine, Microsoft is just doing it to get more money out of people as well as catch people using pirated software/pirated windows.

Here is what I suggest:
If you only have 2 hard drives go buy a 3rd one. If you have 3 hard drives..

Put windows and drivers on 1.
Put programs on the 2nd.
Put games on the 3rd.

If anything goes wrong, scan for virus using panda antivirus or avast.
Spyware check using AdAware SE personal, and Spybot search & destroy.

If the trojan/worm still exists format the affected drive...and reinstall the stuff.

OK... you are on crack or something. I'm going to show you something that you should check out: "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_(computing)". It's called partitioning. I think you're going to like it! :lol: 

Anyway, if MS is trying to get more money out of people why is SP2 free? I am not saying that MS isn't trying to get more money out of consumers (since they obviously are, since that is obviously the point of any for-profit organization), but your rationale seems to be somewhat lacking.

Yes, MS is trying to crack down on piracy. But what's wrong with that? If you invested years of your life to create a product, would you not try to make sure that product was not stolen?

If you people are so against Microsoft, stop using Windows XP and stop whining please!

Dude, I didnt say there is no enhancement in SP2, I said its security is crap no matter what version of Win XP he has. And stop showing crap about IE explorer security enhancement because it is a joke, so is the MS security center. You are not gonna sucessfully advise anybody about those enhancements.
Dude, if there is security enhancement in SP2 and it's free, then why wouldn't you get it? I think you are just the type of whiner that whines about everything. So, do us all a favor and become a linux-head.

Anyway, FireFox is a good alternabrowser for those that bitch about IE.
!