Largest CPU multiplier ever?

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I was looking at my old Northwood the other day and realized it has possibly the largest CPU multiplier ever, a 28x multiplier! It's FSB speed is 100MHZ stock giving a total clock speed of 2.8GHZ. This interested my because i believe that is the largest multiplier of any home-use CPU that has ever been produced

Can anyone else think of a CPU that had a larger multiplier?

sailer

Splendid
Don't know if there's any multiplier that's higher, but I suspect that old cpu might burn up before you got it that high. Does give one a moment of thought, though.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Don't know if there's any multiplier that's higher, but I suspect that old cpu might burn up before you got it that high. Does give one a moment of thought, though.

That's the stock speed, currently im running at 3.5ghz with the stock cooler (FSB of 125) but it's stable at 3.7ghz stock cooler! For a 130nm P4 i think that's VERY impressive, imagine what these things would be like with 2mb Cache and 65nm!

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I've done some research and it seems that Intel has the highest frequency multipliers in the microprocessor industry.
I'll continue to look.

I wasn't wondering how big Intel's mulitpliers were, i wanted to know if the multi on my CPU was the biggest ever made cos 28x seems really rather large.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Scary picture exit2dos.

To paraphrase Quantumsheep's sig:
My wisdom is only matched by my beauty. :p

Just punch/pop the clown's nose...they spin and explode!!!

:D

KCFOS. A very strange movie, indeed. I did like the whole wrapped in cotton candy concept, though. LOL

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
No, I just checked out the wiki, and it looks like a good candidate for the next B-movie night - about once every 6 weeks, a few friends and I get together and watch B-movies. It's become a competition to see who can come up with the best bad movie. The downside is that it was mandated that we could only drink cheap beer and eat generic snacks during the movies. A bunch of people drinking Milwaukee's Best (or worse) and eating off-brand Doritos - I don't like it when it's my turn to host, as I only have one bathroom and it doesn't have a commercial grade exhaust fan. :(

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
No, I just checked out the wiki, and it looks like a good candidate for the next B-movie night - about once every 6 weeks, a few friends and I get together and watch B-movies. It's become a competition to see who can come up with the best bad movie. The downside is that it was mandated that we could only drink cheap beer and eat generic snacks during the movies. A bunch of people drinking Milwaukee's Best (or worse) and eating off-brand Doritos - I don't like it when it's my turn to host, as I only have one bathroom and it doesn't have a commercial grade exhaust fan. :(

It is a very good film, thoroughly recommended.

drcroubie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
hmmm...
that xeon was 30*100 = 3GHz, but taking into account the fsb being 400MT/s, it's only a core/bus of 7.5.

Celery 766 was 11.5*66 MT/s, and celery Tualatin was 14*100 MT/s.
now that's FSB bottlenecking...

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
The only scene I remember from KKFOS is one where some sort of sock puppet-like clown comes out of a laundry basket (i think) to attack somebody and you can see the dudes arm holding the thing up. I saw that movie about 10 years ago though, so I could be thinking of something else.

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
If you want a cheesely bad B-movie you should check out Q the winged serpent its great, ohh also Death race 2000 although that does have a couple big stars. Or any of the Troma Team movies are good too.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I have seen many Troma movies. And I love the 'hand' grenade in DR2k. Have you ever seen a movie called Cannibals? Its a musical staring Trey Parker and is an awesome movie. What about the classic Surf Nazis Must Die?