Need help choosing mb for core 2!!

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
in the near future i am going to be building a new pc.... amd has been my cpu company for ever now but i am starting to lean towards the intel..... i am completely cluesless and i need help choosing a mother board

i am looking at overclocking and mad gaming for the most part... i am going to get a core 2 6400 or 6600 ... dont know yet.,, but i think that i need a good mb to do whaty i want it to do...

budget isnt a problem.... looking at 1000-1500 so dont worry about it

also i dont know if i want to get sli but if anyone thinks i should please tell.... beacause a simple 512mb card will do fine fo games i think... but if sli is worht buying right now then i would like to know

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
but are those the best ones i can get because there aree way more that are way more expensive then taht one and .....

another thinig is i heard a couple people that are having trouble installin their core 2s because the mobo doesnt have the latest bios.,,,,, is this true. and if so how can i fix it if i experience it.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I read that for overclocking, Abit has taken the crown with it's newest Core 2 Duo motherboard. ASUS has the second best overclocker. Both of these are with the Intel 975X chipset.

I have the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe and it does hit 400MHz, but can't keep it stable yet. Still working on it. It does go past 375MHz easily though.

You can either go with a P965 or 975X board.

For P965, the top candidates are:

Abit AB9<b>PRO</b>
Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6
Asus P5B-Deluxe

I'm not very knowledgeable about the 975X's, unfortunately, so I won't pretend I know which ones are the best. I personally have the P5B-Deluxe and have been up to 400 FSB.

Swany420

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
can someone leave links to the cheapest places to get them.... because i am havin trouble find them anyway

also if some mobos have 2 pci express slots but dont have sli then what are they both used for?

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
stay away from nVidia chipsets if you plan on overclocking the Core 2 Duo processors until the nVidia 6xx series come out. For 975X, check out ASUS and Abit websites ;)

sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Try newegg.com Good prices and great customer service.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but if your board has 2 pci-e slots and you don't intend to use 2 videocards, gpu manufacturers have talked about making their own physics processors that may take advantage of a 2nd pci-e slot.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
They're saying that if you run Crossfire or SLI, that there will be a driver update that allows you to assign the second GPU to either do physic calculation or video processing. ATI was talking about having 3 graphics cards on PCI-X with two doing video rendering and the third doing physic calculations. But not sure about nVidia. I'm thinking Intel's 975X BadAxe will be able to do this in the future with future drivers or hacked drivers just like how people are running SLI on ATI Crossfire motherboards.

sillywabbit

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Right, thanks. Swany(OP) had asked "also if some mobos have 2 pci express slots but dont have sli then what are they both used for?"

So let me steal this thread for a second if you don't mind. Besides graphics cards and a possible physics processor, what hardware component do you think would be next to jump on the PCI-e?