Negative scanning with Epson Perfection 3170

I would appreciate any suggestions for settings for scanning negatives
on the 3170. I'll be doing some retouching and if I print it will
usually be 4x6.

Thanks for any advice
Fred621@comcast.net
1 answer Last reply
More about negative scanning epson perfection 3170

    In article <b3640e59.0406261150.4c54c852@posting.google.com>, fred621
    <fred621@comcast.net> writes
    >I would appreciate any suggestions for settings for scanning negatives
    >on the 3170. I'll be doing some retouching and if I print it will
    >usually be 4x6.

    Scan at 3200ppi 48bit colour, to get a 78Mb file for each image. Apply
    any colour correction or level adjustments first then retouch the image
    using a cloning tool to conceal dust and other small defects. Spatially
    filter the image with the Pixelate|mosaic option in Photoshop with a
    cell size of 2x2, followed by downsampling using bicubic interpolation
    to 1600ppi. If you do not use Photoshop, then replace the pixellation
    filter with a blur filter of 1.5pixel radius. Then apply some unsharp
    masking to suit your taste (more required if the blur filter is used)
    and finally reduce to 24bit colour. Print the resulting 10Mb file at
    the optimum resolution of 360ppi of an Epson printer to get a 6x4"
    output.
    --
    Kennedy

Scanners Epson Peripherals