does anyone know of a good bandwidth monitor

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i wanna find out which program is hogging all my bandwidth, i have a feeling its xfire but lately its been so bad that bf2 kicks me for high ping (averages in 300's)... id like to see if its my internet or somthing stealing bandwith. so is there a program that shows which program is using bandwidth? thats FREE plz :)

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you are running XP pro (might be in home too) just go to the performance meter and set it to monitor your network card. Again, it wont tell you specifically what app is hogging bandwidth but trial and error shouldn't take to long. If you dont have anything open and lots of bandwidth is being used its spyware/virus scanning time :)

You can get to the Performance monitor through start, settings, control panel, administrative tools, performace. Then just add a counter for your network cards send and recieve.

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
well i duno what it was but i guess it was charter being crappy like it does once a month for 5 days (sounds like aunt flow was visiting) but it seems to be up to its normal speed again... thanks for the advise

G

Try Orion NetFlow Traffic Analyzer (NTA) analyzes Cisco NetFlow, Juniper J-Flow, IPFIX, & sFlow data to deliver a complete picture of network traffic, identifying who & what are consuming your bandwidth.
It Identifies which users, applications, and protocols are consuming the most network bandwidth and highlights the IP addresses of the top talkers on the network.