Multiple Scanners (Seeking Expert Advice)

Are there any issues with having two scanners on the same system? (i.e.
driver conflicts)

Scanners; Epson flatbed and a HP with ADF

TIA
7 answers Last reply
More about multiple scanners seeking expert advice

    In article <2kgqueF28qgtU1@uni-berlin.de>, me@privacy.net says...

    >Are there any issues with having two scanners on the same system? (i.e.
    >driver conflicts)
    >
    >Scanners; Epson flatbed and a HP with ADF

    If both are USB, then there is a good chance of issues, see
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324756

    If at least one is not USB, then there shouldnt be any issue.

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

    "Wayne Fulton" <nospam@invalid.com> replied to the below question:
    > >Are there any issues with having two scanners on the same system? (i.e.
    > >driver conflicts)
    > >
    > >Scanners; Epson flatbed and a HP with ADF
    >

    > If both are USB, then there is a good chance of issues, see
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324756
    >
    > If at least one is not USB, then there shouldnt be any issue.

    Thanks Wayne... seems this would, (could), be a desired setup on countless
    systems. One would think there might be an A/B switch or programming that
    could switch between the two devices.

    Appreciate the heads-up.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    I have an HP ScanJet 6300C and a Nikon LS-2000, both SCSI, happily
    co-existing on my system.

    --
    Tom Brown
    thombrown at san dot rr dot com

    In article <1dg3dd6yrPYX-pn2-YuFMg9nxlnzf@localhost>,
    thombrown@san.nospam.rr.com says...
    > I have an HP ScanJet 6300C and a Nikon LS-2000, both SCSI, happily
    > co-existing on my system.

    Of course.
    You could have 7 scanners on a SCSI system.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1b515a2f1f8874d3207d@news.individual.net>,
    doogleREMOVE_THIS@netzero.net says...

    >Of course.
    >You could have 7 scanners on a SCSI system.

    Yeah, but I wonder how short the SCSI cables would have to be?
    Spec says 4.9 feet maximum total Ultra bus length if more than four
    devices, so maybe eight inches each for seven? <g>

    Length is a big problem for SCSI, and I've always had trouble with more
    than two SCSI scanners (with regular cables and some internal stuff).
    But I have four scanners on XP (two SCSI, one Firewire, one USB) without
    any problem.

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    In article <EbOdnW5mmv77MnXdRVn-vA@august.net>, nospam@invalid.com
    says...
    > In article <MPG.1b515a2f1f8874d3207d@news.individual.net>,
    > doogleREMOVE_THIS@netzero.net says...
    > >
    > >Of course.
    > >You could have 7 scanners on a SCSI system.
    >
    > Yeah, but I wonder how short the SCSI cables would have to be?
    > Spec says 4.9 feet maximum total Ultra bus length if more than four
    > devices, so maybe eight inches each for seven? <g>
    >
    > Length is a big problem for SCSI, and I've always had trouble with more
    > than two SCSI scanners (with regular cables and some internal stuff).
    > But I have four scanners on XP (two SCSI, one Firewire, one USB) without
    > any problem.

    yeah, I don't really know.
    But I have 4 SCSI devices right now, (CD-R, Jaz drive, LS2000, HPIIcx),
    used to have external Zip drive on it also.

    And a heck of a alot longer than 5' total. I've got one cable that's
    maybe 4 feet alone. I'm guessing maybe 12-14 feet total chain.

    And a real hodgepodge of cables/connectors, 50HD, 25pin, and Centronics.

    Then again, these are not high speed devices like hard drives either.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    In article <MPG.1b52b75feb311d7b207e@news.individual.net>,
    doogleREMOVE_THIS@netzero.net says...

    >yeah, I don't really know.
    >But I have 4 SCSI devices right now, (CD-R, Jaz drive, LS2000, HPIIcx),
    >used to have external Zip drive on it also.
    >
    >And a heck of a alot longer than 5' total. I've got one cable that's
    >maybe 4 feet alone. I'm guessing maybe 12-14 feet total chain.
    >
    >And a real hodgepodge of cables/connectors, 50HD, 25pin, and Centronics.

    That's about my setup too, but I was never able to make three external SCSI
    devices work due to cable length. One foot cables are just not very
    practical for scanners. <g> With two SCSI scanners, to use an external zip
    disk, I have to power down and swap it out with the last scanner to keep the
    bus shorter. Even then, an internal CDR stops working if the zip is attached
    (I suspect the zip auto termination is not so good).

    The Fast and Ultra SCSI bus is rated 3 meters (10 feet) overall, except if
    four or more devices are on the Ultra bus, the spec drops to half of that.
    Generally they say at least 6 inches spacing between device connectors, which
    even approaches a problem for seven internal devices too. But one can have
    multiple SCSI cards of course.

    SCSI was truly fantastic in its day, I was a big fan. Its coprocessor
    multitasking ability was great, and the ability for multiple devices to use
    one IRQ was essential because the PC was so limited. But then Windows became
    able to share PCI IRQ, and other less fussy interfaces were developed, so
    SCSI is fading away now, except perhaps for server disks.

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

Scanners Hewlett Packard Epson Peripherals