explaining user accounts

Please can someone point me to somewhere where user accounts are fully
explained. I can't find it on the KB at microsoft. In particular, I want
to load software that can be used by all users, as at the moment the
software is only usable by one of the users. Thanks in anticipation

TV wrote:
> Please can someone point me to somewhere where user accounts are fully
> explained. I can't find it on the KB at microsoft. In particular, I
> want to load software that can be used by all users, as at the moment
> the software is only usable by one of the users. Thanks in
> anticipation

The ability for all users to access an installed program is a function of
the programs installation and not necessarily XP. If a programs installation
recognizes a multi-user environment, such as XP, it should give you the
option of selecting all users or single user during installation. Most newer
programs that are XP compatible will give you this option. If it does not
have this feature, you have several options.

You can try to create a shortcut to the program and place it in the
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop folder. This will allow the
shortcut to appear on everyones Desktop.

You can use the Run As feature of XP by right clicking the executable file
for the program and select the Run As item. Set the user in the Following
User section.

HOW TO: Use the RUN AS Command to Start a Program as an Administrator in
Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305780

You can re-install the program, while logged on to the other user accounts,
to the same folder where the program was originally installed.

How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

Many thanks Ronnie - will give it a go.

TV wrote:
> Many thanks Ronnie - will give it a go.
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> TV wrote:
>>> Please can someone point me to somewhere where user accounts are
>>> fully explained. I can't find it on the KB at microsoft. In
>>> particular, I want to load software that can be used by all users,
>>> as at the moment the software is only usable by one of the users.
>>> Thanks in anticipation
>>
>> The ability for all users to access an installed program is a
>> function of the programs installation and not necessarily XP. If a
>> programs installation recognizes a multi-user environment, such as
>> XP, it should give you the option of selecting all users or single
>> user during installation. Most newer programs that are XP compatible
>> will give you this option. If it does not have this feature, you
>> have several options.
>>
>> You can try to create a shortcut to the program and place it in the
>> C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop folder. This will allow
>> the shortcut to appear on everyones Desktop.
>>
>> You can use the Run As feature of XP by right clicking the
>> executable file for the program and select the Run As item. Set the
>> user in the Following User section.
>>
>> HOW TO: Use the RUN AS Command to Start a Program as an
>> Administrator in Windows XP:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305780
>>
>> You can re-install the program, while logged on to the other user
>> accounts, to the same folder where the program was originally
>> installed.
>>
>> How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279783

Your very welcome. Let us know if you need more information.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP