Big Typhoon vs Si-128 Both with FM121 fan?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I have read several great reviews of both of these coolers, but I have not seen them compared. If you can find one, link me please. Google is not my friend on this one. Im not much interested in coolers like the Ninja or Ultra-120.

Both coolers rock and both seem of great quality. I have a Silverstone FM121 fan just itching to be used. The FM121 pushes ~2x the air as the stock Typhoon fan does. So it is obvious that I will use it over the stock.

Here is my quesiton.

With both coolers useing the same fan, witch one would be the better choise? I can find the Typhoon almost anywhere in the stores so I could get it now, where as the SI-128 seems to be pretty rare from newegg (The only place I trust with my money) and not to be found on any shelf.

Thoughts?

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I have 2x 80mm fans blow out the back. Oldschool Fulltower Chieftek Dragon.

How much of a difference are we talking between the two? I would not want to lap the CPU...

Edit: Doh... I think you mean lapping the TTBT.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I would not want to lap the CPU...

Edit: Doh... I think you mean lapping the TTBT.

I've seen people lap the cpu
http://legitreviews.com/article/402/1/

It works very very well as long as you know what your doing (2-3 degree difference)

Don't bother with page number 2, thats for professionals only and It only works 1 out of every 4 tries
While we should have been happy with lapping the IHS we went one step further and removed the IHS. This is not something we suggest that anyone should try and in fact there is only a one in four chance that it works.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Before I go for water cooling I have the Big Typhoon with the Silverston FM121 and it cooled down my 840 really well. Mildly overclocked I got 38c idle and 40c full load. The only thing I don't like about the Big Typhoon is the mounting screws and nuts. It takes time and patience to install one, but I Thermaltake addressed this issue and now have the Big Typhoon VX which have the same mounting assembly as the stock intel cooler, making installation a snap. The Big Typhoon is a very good cooler and I would recommend this to anyone running a hot cpu or to those who wants to overclock a bit.

A side panel fan that blows cool air to the Big Typhoon works really well. I did this and I have lowered my temps big time allowing me to do a bit more overclocking. If not then modding the case for a 120mm is not that hard either. With a use of a dremel tool it's simple to cut and 120mm hole and four holes for the screws to secure the fan.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Ill just assume I will probably get the same overclock on my C2D with either cooler. How big of a difference between the two coolers? Meh... Whats a couple of degrees. Lapping the BT may be an option, but i doubt I will do it...

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
For the reviews I've read, lapping the IHS (integrated heatsink) of the cpu can make a difference of up to 2c lower. May not sound much but that's a difference of not going over 60c. :wink: With lapping, the IHS would be smoother by getting rid of that (micro valleys) on the surface making more contact and also removes the nickel plating on top, exposing the cooper that is more heat conductive.

Removing it is another story as Wusy have mentioned the newer ones are soldered to the chip. As I have read the review (don't remember) they tried to removed the IHS on the Core 2 cpu. They were succesful of breaking the thermal adhesive with the use of a razor. And then they tried portable blow torch and tried to heat up the to of the cpu to soften the solder. As they do several pass on the cpu each briefly not to overheat the cpu itself. Soon enough they hear a pop as the IHS comes out of the cpu. But as soon they cleaned and installed onto the motherboard. However the cpu didn't boot at all. Figure, blow torch and cpu does not work together. So don't try to attempt of removing your cpu's IHS for it would be a death warrant on your processor.