duthoy

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
ok,
i've bought myself a second HD (120 GB ATA133 7200 8MB) it is exactly the same as my current drive.
on my first drive i have a partition i really don't want to lose!! (mp3 and p?rn :twisted: )
i want my drives configuration like this

drive 1:

C:\ = OS and programs (16 GB)
D:\ = MP3 (70 GB)
E:\ = personal files like photos, documents, program installation files download folder(29 GB)
Z:\ = swap en temp (5 GB)

drive 2:
hidden partition :\ =backup D:\ (changes to D: must be written on exit windows to this partition) (70 GB)
F:\ = movies (45 GB)
hidden partition :\ ghost from fresh installed OS & programs (5 GB)

so i need not a full raid configuration but there must be some data security for my music & have some space on my second drive
my personal files are backed up on DVD so, no problem if i lose them when a drive crashes.
only need backup of my music.
does anybody know some software that can do this backup system.

If you use Partition Magic 8 you can create all the partitions you want.
This not not raid. Raid involves two hard disks running as one hard disk.
You can use Norton Ghost or Acronis True image to make an image of each partition. In case of total failure you can create a bootable CD for restoring the hard drive.
I recommend backing up to a USB, Firewire or eSata external hard drive.
Your mother board must support the interfaces.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Acronis True Image is good backup tool. Many issues for Ghost, but for an unattended back up it should work fine.

Just one suggestion on your first drive: Move the swap off that drive onto your second, or use a spare old IDE for the swap. Your access time and r\rw for any type of indexing you may dump on that drive will puke on any performance assumption in your design.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
You partitioning scheme it seems overly complex to me.

The only thing that needs to be kept on a seperate partition is your OS.

You data file are best seperated by use of folders not partitions.

There is no need or value in using partitions as a backup container for data files.

My advice

Create two partitions on your first drive, one on the 2nd. Move the page file to the 2nd for a small performance boost if you feel like it.

Keep your most important files on the 2nd partition of your 1st hard drive. Store the backups on the 2nd hard drive.

That way two drives must fail before you lose anything important.

Other less important files can share the 2nd drive with you backup images.

Use True Image 9 to schedule automatic backups of your OS partition to an image file on you 2nd Hard drive.

Use Retrospect 7.5 to schedule backup of your files, with the backup sets being stroed on your 2nd Hard drive.

Use a different backup set for each type of data.

Backups can be scheduled whenever you want. Once a day, each time your system shuts down. Every other Sunday at 9 PM, whenever.

If you don't need the power of Retrospect 7.5 you can just use True Image 9's folder level backup.