Sign in with
Your question

Asus False Advertising - P5NSLI...Buyer Beware

Last response: in Motherboards
October 11, 2006 12:45:07 PM

Just a note for those of you thinking about buying a P5NSLI from Asus in order to get an inexpensive nf5 chipset motherboard for your new Conroe...

It isn't a 570 chipset. It's a flat out lie by Asus.

I purchased this board at the end of last month and had a great deal of trouble with unexpected, random reboots. In the process of doing a great deal of troubleshooting, I learned that the P5NSLI has a standard nforce 4 chipset. This shows plainly when testing with any of the RightMark tests as well as Memtest86.

So be advised. You aren't getting what you are paying for.

peace,
Aielman
October 11, 2006 7:52:17 PM

Quote:

It was the nVidia590 everyone was waiting for. The 570 came with nf4 chipset not the nf5. Sorry you didn't get what you thought you were gettting however, this is a great place to specify what you are planning to get. If you ask for assistance these guys will help you and tell you what you are buying, if you aren't sure. Anyway, it wasn't false advertising. Check out this forum and it will tell you everything:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/nVidia-nForce-590-Chipsets-Conroe-ftopict193299.html
October 12, 2006 9:29:47 PM

Quote:

It was the nVidia590 everyone was waiting for. The 570 came with nf4 chipset not the nf5. Sorry you didn't get what you thought you were gettting however, this is a great place to specify what you are planning to get. If you ask for assistance these guys will help you and tell you what you are buying, if you aren't sure. Anyway, it wasn't false advertising. Check out this forum and it will tell you everything:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/nVidia-nForce-590-Chipsets-Conroe-ftopict193299.html

What "everyone is waiting for" has absolutely nothing to do with what they are advertising for this board. It is advertised as a 570...it is not...regardless of what the forum says. False advertising has nothing to do what is on non-company forums, and everything to do with what is advertised in the ad, on the website, and in the literature.

If you have to go to someone elses company to learn that the advertising is inaccurate, then that sort of defeats the purpose of "truth in advertising."

peace,
Aielman
Related resources
October 13, 2006 5:58:59 PM

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=331&model=1311&modelmenu=2

This is the link for your board which clearly states that it is a 570 board, not a 590 board.

Quote:
What "everyone is waiting for" has absolutely nothing to do with what they are advertising for this board. It is advertised as a 570...it is not...regardless of what the forum says. False advertising has nothing to do what is on non-company forums, and everything to do with what is advertised in the ad, on the website, and in the literature.

Why would you think that you were getting the 590 board? I don't like false advertising either but, I fail to see the validity of your statement. :? If you look back through the forum weren't you a bit curious as to why everyone was soooo disappointed when the board didn't come out when it was expected? Research my man, research.

Or, on the other hand, sue the cotton pickers :!:

Easy bubba,

chuggit
October 13, 2006 6:08:57 PM

Quote:
I learned that the P5NSLI has a standard nforce 4 chipset

Also, most times, when looking at a product you're wanting to buy look closly and if it does not state specifically exactly what you are looking for then, again most times, it doesn't. Your board clearly states it's a 570 chipset and it is based on nforce 4.

You could also have the same arguement with Corsair memory. If you are looking for SLI certified memory it had better be clearly stated on the package it's SLI certified because if it's not, it isn't. Clearification: I don't mean to say it won't work with SLI, it's just not certified. The same with your board, 570 is based on n4 and 590 is based on n5.

Hope this helps as I'm surely not intending to pick a fight with you. If this doesn't help you'll never hear another word from me.
October 13, 2006 7:06:56 PM

I have a P5NSLI, and it is a nforce 570 chipset, altought, it doesn't have the c55, it has the nforce older c19, but the other chipset (don't recall if it's the north or southbridge) is the 570. And, well, for less than 110 bucks, it's a good deal.

PS - Besides having some issue with my memory modules on the first day, i changed the latency a bit and it's running smoothly (just hope my pair of soon-to-be-acquired-raptors-for-raid-0 do work fine).
October 16, 2006 5:41:27 PM

Quote:
Why would you think that you were getting the 590 board? I don't like false advertising either but, I fail to see the validity of your statement. :? If you look back through the forum weren't you a bit curious as to why everyone was soooo disappointed when the board didn't come out when it was expected? Research my man, research.

Or, on the other hand, sue the cotton pickers :!:

Easy bubba,

chuggit

Uhh...why would You think I think I should get a 590? Where did I say I should have gotten a 590?

Reading comprehension for the win.

Moot point, in any case. RMA'd...refunded...no longer an issue.

peace,
Aielman
!