Sign in with
Your question

Why do the CPUs are so bloody expensive here in Ireland?

Last response: in CPUs
October 11, 2006 2:09:55 PM

I want to build a computer and I'm just doing a price comparison on some online shops here in Ireland and in the US.

In Ireland the CPUs (all computer parts actually) are far more expensive than in the US:

I have choosen two online shops at random:

http://www.elara.ie/products/cpuc2.asp

versus

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?DEPA=0&ty...

And here are the prices:

Ireland Price
-------------------------------- ----------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E6300 215.91 EUR (approx. 269.88 USD)
Core 2 Duo E6400 260.35 EUR (approx. 325.43 USD)

US
Core 2 Duo E6300 180 USD
Core 2 Duo E6400 220 USD

Any toughts?
October 11, 2006 2:48:53 PM

Quote:
I want to build a computer and I'm just doing a price comparison on some online shops here in Ireland and in the US.

In Ireland the CPUs (all computer parts actually) are far more expensive than in the US:

versus

And here are the prices:

Ireland Price

US
Core 2 Duo E6300 180 USD
Core 2 Duo E6400 220 USD

Any toughts?

cost of exporting the product to Ireland (transport + customs + VAT) + additional overhead of having at least one more intermediate supplier who also wants their cut of the profit.
October 11, 2006 2:57:55 PM

Does anybody know, if I go to US to buy a CPU, mobo, memory etc. when I return to Ireland do I have to pay any taxes for those products?

Thanks.
Related resources
a c 480 à CPUs
October 11, 2006 3:01:28 PM

It's VAT that's causing the price increase. The E6400 is 215 Euros before VAT, but it's 260 including VAT. That's a 21% increase!
October 11, 2006 3:08:00 PM

>tax

Yes, you will have to pay VAT.
October 11, 2006 3:55:04 PM

Quote:

versus

And here are the prices:

Ireland Price

US
Core 2 Duo E6300 180 USD
Core 2 Duo E6400 220 USD

Any toughts?

It's the added cost of having to paint each individual piece green. :lol:  :roll:
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2006 4:04:03 PM

Quote:
Does anybody know, if I go to US to buy a CPU, mobo, memory etc. when I return to Ireland do I have to pay any taxes for those products?

Thanks.

Yes but there's a way around it. Bring a computer case with useless old parts inside. Once in the USA buy your CPU, Motherboard and RAM.. install them inside the case.

When you're going back home let them know you have nothing to declare. You see they don't look at the insides of your PC.

:p 
October 11, 2006 4:50:16 PM

It's exactly the same in Australia.
October 11, 2006 5:23:28 PM

Quote:
It's exactly the same in Australia.

Leprechauns and kangaroos! There probably isn't the same demand overseas as there is here due to population size. Uncle Sam probably has more nerds buying pc components which would help keep costs lower here.
October 11, 2006 6:57:57 PM

It's all a matter of the degree of competition, regulation, and taxation. Different countries have made different choices for their economies. Remember, there's no universal health care in the US, there are less burdensome regulations on businesses, etc. For a nice side-by-side comparison that minimizes transportation and language issues, compare prices in Canada with prices in the US.
October 11, 2006 10:36:41 PM

Today, Wednesday Oct 11, Tigerdirect.ca in Canada is selling the E6300 for $227 CDN. Tigerdirect.com in the USA is 179 USD.

The E6400 is 274 and 216 respectively. All numbers are before taxes. To puchase one in Canada I would have to add 14% taxes and whatever for shipping. Ordering from the USA is out of the question, because duties are added as well as taxes.

I once was tempted to buy an an Antec case from California, until I discovered that taxes and duties more than doubled its price.

Lucky for me, I found the only specimen of it in Canada (at that time), in my home town!

-Bob
October 11, 2006 11:29:02 PM

For the record I paid core2 6300 (U$S 180 in USA) U$S 233+TAX (26,7%) for the total of U$S 291 that is direct buy from a major importer that only sells to resellers with established companies so for average customer the processor would cost more than that.

I am in Uruguay south america, besides prices of imported goods and gas everthing is quite cheap here. :roll:

Visit Uruguay.Visit Punta del Este, great beaches on summer that is, the best place to spend new year eve's. :D 
October 11, 2006 11:35:00 PM

Quote:

versus

And here are the prices:

Ireland Price

US
Core 2 Duo E6300 180 USD
Core 2 Duo E6400 220 USD

Any toughts?

Its called cost of living. You guys make major money to offset major prices. It has little to do with shipping, although taxes are a factor, we pay taxes too.

Seriously you make three times as much as us for the same jobs 8O :lol: 
October 11, 2006 11:47:10 PM

Quote:
Its called cost of living. You guys make major money to offset major prices. It has little to do with shipping, although taxes are a factor, we pay taxes too.

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. But if you really are, let me tell you that for professional jobs in the US, your income will likely be higher, not lower, and the cost of living is less as well.
October 12, 2006 12:00:43 AM

Quote:

I can't tell if you are being serious or not. But if you really are, let me tell you that for professional jobs in the US, your income will likely be higher, not lower, and the cost of living is less as well.

I was serious. I'm not sure about professional jobs but your probably right since the US makes more money in big business and such.

It's probably the lower level jobs that make more. Like i have a 2nd cousin who makes almost $80 000 a year working for Ireland's major airline. My dad's friends' girlfriend :p  makes $25 000 a year doing the same job. A flight attendant. Now the cost of living is higher there so it makes up the difference. Thats why things cost more there. Relatively its about the same cost.
October 12, 2006 12:06:27 AM

That's just about pure evil! :twisted:

I think it's crazy enough to work.
October 12, 2006 3:24:47 AM

Quote:
... working for Ireland's major airline. ....

The airline industry isn't a such a good place to look for comparisons, because most European airlines are still state-owned and/or protected by no-fly regulations. I don't think RyanAir is paying flight attendents $80k.
October 12, 2006 12:10:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

just imagine u could buy X6800, top mobo and 10GB RAM for all but $500, the airplane ticket will cost you a further $500... never the less u wud be dreaming if u can get a top rig for $500...

so use your brains before u speak. Wud u rather pay that extra $40 or wud u like a trip to USA for $500 and coming back with some computer components.

Best way u can do, take a holiday there, and buy just CPU and RAM, ditch the fan on the CPU put it in ur pocket on the way back :D 

u can avoid VRT or duty VAT on ur way in. I bought back an Apple laptop last month by saying i had it with me on my way out 8)

they dont normally check at the airport unless u have all of them in brand new sealing boxes
October 12, 2006 12:18:50 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

just imagine u could buy X6800, top mobo and 10GB RAM for all but $500, the airplane ticket will cost you a further $500... never the less u wud be dreaming if u can get a top rig for $500...

so use your brains before u speak. Wud u rather pay that extra $40 or wud u like a trip to USA for $500 and coming back with some computer components.

Best way u can do, take a holiday there, and buy just CPU and RAM, ditch the fan on the CPU put it in ur pocket on the way back :D 

u can avoid VRT or duty VAT on ur way in. I bought back an Apple laptop last month by saying i had it with me on my way out 8)

they dont normally check at the airport unless u have all of them in brand new sealing boxes

Of course I wouldn't go there just to buy a processor...
October 12, 2006 12:26:07 PM

>u can avoid VRT or duty VAT on ur way in. I bought back an Apple laptop last month by saying i had it with me on my way out 8)

I assume you realise you just admitted to a crime on a public forum? Bad plan...
October 12, 2006 1:33:27 PM

They would have a hard time proving it hes pretty safe.
Its like a misdemeanor(sp?) they arent going to send swat to his house over that.
October 12, 2006 1:44:28 PM

>They would have a hard time proving it

Uh, he admitted it?

>misdemeanor (you spelt it right!)

Depends where he is...
October 12, 2006 1:48:50 PM

He could just say he lied :p 
October 12, 2006 1:50:06 PM

What? People lie on the internet?
October 12, 2006 1:53:25 PM

Yea still no lie detector on the forums.
Theres an idea. Build a lie detector into the TPM chip and you can digitially sign your messages only if your not lying :p 
October 12, 2006 2:20:01 PM

Quote:
It's VAT that's causing the price increase. The E6400 is 215 Euros before VAT, but it's 260 including VAT. That's a 21% increase!

Where do you get those figures from? VAT is 17.5% last time I checked.
October 12, 2006 2:22:00 PM

Quote:
>tax

Yes, you will have to pay VAT.

...if you tell them...

Just throw most of the packaging away and put it in your check-in luggage.
October 12, 2006 2:28:08 PM

Quote:

If you're gonna do that, leave some kind of anti-static packaging around it otherwise you'll zap the processor with static and kill it. Also don't keep it in your pocket, as you have to empty your pockets at the x-ray machine.
October 15, 2006 4:31:55 AM

the cpu comes in a little plastic case anyways.... if they ask just say it is ur lucky charm :D 

that or you could ummmm hide the proc..... welll ummm up ur bum :D 
October 15, 2006 4:33:41 AM

Quote:
the cpu comes in a little plastic case anyways.... if they ask just say it is ur lucky charm :D 

that or you could ummmm hide the proc..... welll ummm up ur bum :D 

.................. 8O
October 15, 2006 5:42:36 AM

Quote:

I was serious. I'm not sure about professional jobs but your probably right since the US makes more money in big business and such.

It's probably the lower level jobs that make more. Like i have a 2nd cousin who makes almost $80 000 a year working for Ireland's major airline. My dad's friends' girlfriend :p  makes $25 000 a year doing the same job. A flight attendant. Now the cost of living is higher there so it makes up the difference. Thats why things cost more there. Relatively its about the same cost.

Be careful ther Corvetteguy. Working for an airline and doing the same job are not the same thing. Even if theye are doing the exact same job, time in service has to do a lot. Its pretty much universally constant in the airline industry that first year crew members on on probation and make squat. After probation, salleries rise dramatically. Even for people with the exact same job, and the exact same time in service, qualifications have a big effetc. So for example, 2 pilots rated in the same aurframe, doing the same job, serving for say 10 years, one may earn significantly more if he/she has their capatins quals and ther other has never progressed past FO.

This is a funny story. A buddy of mine was a US Navy P3 Orion Pilot. He resigned from the Navy and was hired as a pilot by SouthWest Airlines. Prior to starting flying, he had to go through several training tasks, including a 6 week orientation course. The first 4 weeks of the course were for all crew personel including the cabin attendants (formerly know as Stewardess's before that became a politically incoreect term)

Well, the facilitator was explaining to the class that they would be together for 4 weeks, after which the attendants would leave and the pilots would continue for 2 more weeks. One of the trainee attendents said "well why cant we just all do the six weeks and all be pilots?" :wink:
October 15, 2006 6:05:26 AM

all taxes + profit = more expensive
October 15, 2006 6:22:56 AM

OMG!

Sunday, October 15, 2006

353.57 Euro = 442.581 US Dollar

Compare here in the U.S. which is around $315-$330. What is up with that man? Some much tax does your country charge and is there any value added tax or is it just that store is charging so much, due to high-demand there?
October 15, 2006 8:29:33 AM

Quote:

Be careful ther Corvetteguy. Working for an airline and doing the same job are not the same thing. Even if theye are doing the exact same job, time in service has to do a lot. Its pretty much universally constant in the airline industry that first year crew members on on probation and make squat. After probation, salleries rise dramatically. Even for people with the exact same job, and the exact same time in service, qualifications have a big effetc. So for example, 2 pilots rated in the same aurframe, doing the same job, serving for say 10 years, one may earn significantly more if he/she has their capatins quals and ther other has never progressed past FO.

This is a funny story. A buddy of mine was a US Navy P3 Orion Pilot. He resigned from the Navy and was hired as a pilot by SouthWest Airlines. Prior to starting flying, he had to go through several training tasks, including a 6 week orientation course. The first 4 weeks of the course were for all crew personel including the cabin attendants (formerly know as Stewardess's before that became a politically incoreect term)

Well, the facilitator was explaining to the class that they would be together for 4 weeks, after which the attendants would leave and the pilots would continue for 2 more weeks. One of the trainee attendents said "well why cant we just all do the six weeks and all be pilots?" :wink:

LOL, funny story.

Back to mine :lol:  , i actually think the person here has been doing the job longer. They both do the same thing.

I'm not saying they make more money relatively, just more in general. But we had a family reunion, (lol, i had never met anyone before) and they all made major bucks but it went right out the door again with cost of living. Note these people were all from ireland, so i'm not sure about the rest of the EU.

So maybe they were all in special situations but i doubt it. :wink:
October 15, 2006 9:03:46 AM

Quote:

LOL, funny story.

Back to mine :lol:  , i actually think the person here has been doing the job longer. They both do the same thing.

I'm not saying they make more money relatively, just more in general. But we had a family reunion, (lol, i had never met anyone before) and they all made major bucks but it went right out the door again with cost of living. Note these people were all from ireland, so i'm not sure about the rest of the EU.

Thats why, much as I dont care for it geographically, I love NW Fla. The cost of living here is insanely cheap. An individual could easily survive on $15-20K a year and stick the rest in the bank.
October 15, 2006 9:15:03 AM

Quote:

Where do you get those figures from? VAT is 17.5% last time I checked.

Not in Ireland, I've just bought 2Gb matched pair Mushkin RAM From memoryc.com (based in Ireland and the only reputable supplier I could find in Europe/UK). While the UK has VAT of 17.5% Ireland has VAT of 21% (which was included in the price and I have the invoice to prove it :)  ).

Being in the EU you don't have to pay import duties (to the best of my knowledge) when goods are being bought between EU countries and VAT doesn't need paying for goods under a certain price (which I think is around £250 in the UK). I'd buy from the UK and simply cough up the commission for the exchange (which is about £6.50/9 Euros for about £228, banks :roll: ).

However the price is a little steep for the E6300, in the UK it costs around £125(VAT included at 17.5%), using a simple currency conversion the euro price is about £145 8O .
October 15, 2006 10:21:22 AM

its nothing to do with the cost of shipping, hell I live in New zealand even smaller than ireland, in fact belfast has more people than the whole on NZ! and here they are about $US 195
October 15, 2006 10:33:21 AM

Not quite...

e6400 274 USD at ARC.
e6300 222 USD...
October 15, 2006 5:29:45 PM

Quote:

LOL, funny story.

Thats why, much as I dont care for it geographically, I love NW Fla. The cost of living here is insanely cheap. An individual could easily survive on $15-20K a year and stick the rest in the bank.

i may be looking into NW Florida
as i live in Folsom, CA and make over 50K per year and cant afford to buy a house. barely can afford rent.

Housing prices here were driven up riduculously (relatively speaking) after Ivan, but hit a brick wall after Katrina, and have been falling for a while now. Beyond that, everything is cheap. 1500sqft cost about $140K right now.
October 15, 2006 5:44:29 PM

Quote:

LOL, funny story.

as i live in Folsom, CA and make over 50K per year and cant afford to buy a house. barely can afford rent.

Housing prices here were driven up riduculously (relatively speaking) after Ivan, but hit a brick wall after Katrina, and have been falling for a while now. Beyond that, everything is cheap. 1500sqft cost about $140K right now.

$140K in ireland gets u a Kitchen, a Bathroom...
October 15, 2006 7:07:17 PM

Quote:

Yes but there's a way around it. Bring a computer case with useless old parts inside. Once in the USA buy your CPU, Motherboard and RAM.. install them inside the case.

When you're going back home let them know you have nothing to declare. You see they don't look at the insides of your PC.

:p 
Don’t know :| ...

Usually when you take something of your property out of country, it is requested that you register it on customs. And if it is something that can be exchanged like this, they place some sealing to prevent it from being opened.

For all they know you could be bringing drugs or something worse in there… Perhaps it’s different coming from and back to Canada, I don’t know, but I’m not sure it can be applied to him.
October 15, 2006 7:17:26 PM

Quote:
What? People lie on the internet?

Did you miss the briefing? :lol: 
October 15, 2006 7:24:27 PM

Can you foward that memo to me? I was sick during that meeting.... :lol: 
October 15, 2006 9:40:00 PM

i live in northern Ireland and vat is 17.5% but i give my receipts to the accountant and get it back on my tax bill which the bustards deem fit to send out at Christmas and over here you have to pay half of next years tax upfront (does that only happen over here?)
October 15, 2006 9:50:38 PM

Quote:

LOL, funny story.

$140K in ireland gets u a Kitchen, a Bathroom...

That sucks. Especially considering the $140K ranges houses I mentioned were $80-90K prior to hurricane Ivan showing up. That single storm drove prices up 60-80%
October 16, 2006 12:38:22 AM

A large number of factors go into the pricing of any item. And no, this isn't one of them there "ya think?" statements. Many posters here have either forgotten, overlooked, or deliberately ignored applicable details and issues.

I live in Toronto, Canada, so I have a pretty good idea of a number of applicable issues that have not been addressed in any of the posts to this thread that are actually serious.

1) Market size. What is the population of your country vs the USA. In my case, population of Canada is approx 33 million, US is approx 330 million. Market here is 1/10-th of US. For every one unit sold here, 10 can be sold in US. Assuming that profit margin on both sides of the border is the same (not necessarily true), price in larger market will be lower. This issue is also directly tied to the availability of various products in any given market. Many manufacturers have zero interest in setting up shop in "small" or "tiny" markets - they figure the costs of setup, operation and meeting local regulatory and cultural requirements are much higher than any potential profit from that particular market. In short, they can't be bothered.

2) Currency exchange rate. What is your currency valued at compared to US? Verify any price difference on this basis, and then factor in point 1. And believe it, you are far better off if your curency is worth more than US on a unit basis. Think about the implications of your currency being worth only 40% (or worse) of the US currency. As was the case here for a long while. (you should hear the whining from the business sector here now that our currency has reached 85% of the value of US $ recently).

3) Local duties, taxes and related costs. This has been noted in other posts, but it needs to be stated again and re-emphasized. What local governmets do in terms of taxation etc, does affect the price of any product sold in the local market. This is on top of any of points 1 and 2.

As was noted elsewhere in this thread, bad example or not, the EU, of which Ireland is a member, has many social advantages over the current situation in the US. Many aspects of the social situation in the EU are actually superior to what is active in Canada. What should scare you is that what we have here in Canada, while far superior compared to the US (see health care for instance), is a joke compared to what is in place in Europe, in terms of social, labour, and environmental norms. This all costs money, so your tax rates are much higher than in North America. Mind you, some aspects of how you operate in Europe are, to put kindly, very, very, stupid. Confirmation of this is found in the riots in France and some of the recent idiocy in the UK.

You may want to carefully reassess your position re the price you pay for a given product vs the socal structure of where you live, compared to the US. A "low" price for a particular product may have a higher social price than you think, or may be willing to accept and deal with.

Be extremely careful of what you wish for. You just might get it. And the taste is likely to be far more bitter than you expected.
October 16, 2006 2:16:57 AM

Very nice post.

Quote:
Market size. What is the population of your country vs the USA. In my case, population of Canada is approx 33 million, US is approx 330 million.

Just want to point out the US hasnt yet topped 300,000,000. Tuesaday 17 oct @ 7.46am. Insignifcant point, I know, but theres money riding on the exact moment the US pops 300K. :wink:

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archiv...
October 16, 2006 12:51:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

The only thing you can get through customs are laptops, because they never question the source of a single laptop...
October 16, 2006 1:56:51 PM

I think there's a lesson to be learned from this whole discussion on taxes... taxing at the consumer level (e.g. EU's VAT) chases away customers... some guy just mentioned he bought a laptop in the US and then lied to get it back into his home country. That's crazy, but at the same time... I'd probably do that too if I were in his shoes. The alternative? Tax the business directly... and that chases away the business and the jobs it creates. I realize revenue is necessary to run a government, but man... it seems like a tax on income would solve this as most people aren't going to leave a country just to avoid paying income taxes. Then people are free to spend their money where they choose and wouldn't be encouraged to cheat the system... well, I guess they'd just try to cheat the income tax system then. Oh screw it... no taxes for everyone and let's usher in a new era of anarchy.
October 16, 2006 2:08:24 PM

In Astralia We can get

E6300 (255 --> 191.25 USD)
E6400 (325 --> 243.75 USD)
E6600 (470 --> 352.5 USD)
E6700 (780 --> 585 USD)
!