Lolcb

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Hi, I am planning to get the medusa 5.1 surround gaming edition headset. My sound card is X-Fi Xtreme music 7.1 I THINK. Will the headset work with my sound card?

Oblivix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
You don't want the Medusa 7.1 headset trust me... Its way too much trouble to mess around with since about 60% of the customers have issues with the headset actually performing at what it is claimed to be able to do. Issues ranging from mixed up internal wires to only sound coming out or their mic. working, you name it its happend with these on a regular basis.

Lolcb

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Holy crap. Is the Medusa 5.1 Pro Gaming headset that bad? Any other headset to recommend? I am based in UK. So preferably recommend UK online shops. Many Thanks!

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I use the Plantronics DSP500 headset (a couple of years old now) but would really recommend it. Excellent sound and easy to wear for extended periods without hurting your ears.

Lolcb

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
Thanks for telling me about plantronics. Is there any new headset in the market now and yet reliable? If so, please do tell me. Would prefer items purchasable via UK online shops. Many Thanks.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
I have never tried the medusa so can't comment on that one.

I am however using the Zalman 5.1 headphones w/mic and have had it for about 6 months. I can say it has improved my gaming due to the sound placement. Its much harder to blindside me or sneak up on me now whether single-player or multi. Music is imo a little more full than with my old plantronics or logitech headsets and just sounds better to me.

I have seen a few people say its not for them or the cords are too thin etc. but I love mine and for the price I think they're hard to beat for 5.1 sound in a headphone. They don't compare to ones costing 100s of dollars but I can't see dropping that much on headphones anyway since I mainly use mine for FPSs or when the family goes to bed :).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, yes this headset will work with your soundcard and give you fully functional 5.1 sound. Some other posters mentioned that some of the other brands do not so wanted to clarify that point for the Zalmans.

mack_ave

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Check this brand out.

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/

i have the RS130 wireless set and they are great. They do have a bit of hissing from time to time, fresh batts fix that or a channel change. Very comfy and great range.

I havent used any of the wired sets but i cant imange them being worse then the wireless sets.