Four 975X Motherboards For Core 2 Duo - ASUS P5W DH Deluxe

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

pgarnold

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Chrone,

The is absolutely NOT the case. This MB has been run much faster than 333 MHz by a number of folks and is one of the most popular MBs for overclockers. Check out the following thread which provides a number of tips on how to do this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110193

I have seen examples where the MB was run at 450 MHz water cooled without problems. Lots of folks are getting >400 MHz. Of course, your max is limited by the luck of the processor you happen to get. Identical CPUs can have widely varying overclocking limits.

I haven't read the whole article you quoted but in a quick read of the writeup for the P5W (pages 2-3), the reviewer seems unusually negative. That has not been my experience. The review stated they were running the 0901 bios which might have been part of the problem. The currently recommended bios by the overclocking thread given above is 1305.

Paul

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
thanks for the reply. i really appreciate it :)

if i use that motherboard i think i will try to go to overclock it to 333mhz.

btw, what is the safe clockspeed for overclocking e6600 with intel stock hsf?

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Is this board safe to overclocked over long periods? other user posted audio issue with this board too. Is this board safe for regular user in default setting?

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
picard wrote:
Is this board safe to overclocked over long periods? other user posted audio issue with this board too. Is this board safe for regular user in default setting?

i'm sure this mobo will run solid by default setting. please correct me if i am wrong. i also want to know regarding overclocking 24/7 (stable) and how long will the mobo lifeterm be.

as for the cpu, one of the master overclocking ever told me that:
it's impossible to shorten a chip's life through overheating. Intel made that protection well and when you're overclocking you won't even reach the throttle temp set by Intel. voltage shortens lifeterm full stop. for Allendale/Conroe it's 1.55V for 10yrs. after that it's ~4yrs for 1.60V. then 1.5yrs for 1.65V. it's expontential once u go over 1.55V. I mean once you're at over 3.5Ghz, the chip will crash when it reaches around 60C when using CoreTemp to read. so it hasn't even got the chance to reach 85C (throttle set mark) on CoreTemp. basically you just keep it limited to 1.55V as a safe bet. it's slight, 4Ghz for E6600 on air at best, and 3.5Ghz for E6300 on air at best. E6300 is limited by FSB, E6600 is limited by temperature.

regarding the audio issue, it has been reported in the following link:
pgarnold wrote:
Check out the following thread which provides a number of tips on how to do this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110193

there's one with audio issue and was fixed by updating his audio driver directly from asus official download site for drivers. i noticed most of the troubleshooting they get when overclocking a core 2 duo processor with asus p5w dh deluxe is already prevented by Wuzy's Core2Duo Overclocking Guide, here's the link: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Core2Duo-Overclocking-Guide-ftopict197995.html

pgarnold

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
thanks for the reply. i really appreciate it :)

if i use that motherboard i think i will try to go to overclock it to 333mhz.

btw, what is the safe clockspeed for overclocking e6600 with intel stock hsf?

Chrone,

I can't say what will work for an individual processor. This depends on the "luck of the draw" in getting a particular processor. The same exact model processor can have widely varying max overclock speed. Having said that, you should most likely be able to get to at least 3 GHz. based on what I have read that others are doing without much problem. That means you will have a speed higher than Intels E6800 at a big savings in $$$.

You just have to increase the speed and then see if the machine will boot correctly. Once it does that, you can see if it will run for about an hour to get everything up to steady state temp and still work. After that, run the memory tests mentioned in the link I provided earlier in this thread. If the tests work overnight, you are stable and can then bump the speed up a bit more and retest. So this approach is a bit tedious and your results will varry depending on the "luck of the draw".

I see you posted some good info on not worrying about breaking the processor. This is correct. I hadn't seen the other stuff on lifeterm at a given voltage for overclocking. Very interesting and thanks for the info.

Good Luck,

Paul

pgarnold

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I see. Have you reached the 333Mhz FSB and run stable?

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it :)

I haven't tried to overclock it yet. I hope to do this within the next month. I have been reading all about it and hope to get to 360 MHz FSB with air cooling. From what I have read, that should be do able if my processor is not bad. Just too much going on beside my PC that I need to deal with plus I start to play games which can eat up a lot of time. ;-)

Paul

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
oh i see. well it is reported that this mobo can take to 400mhz or even better, but the reason why i posted this thread was because the article on tomshardware that said this mobo is a bit unstable when running 333mhz, and since if i have that mobo in the future, i only want it to be run stable at 333mhz :p

let me know when you're done with the oc thing. thanks :)

TRENDING THREADS