New memory and CPU Heatsink

jeepn

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Hey Fellas... wanting to upgrade my RAM to 2GB and reduce my CPU temps. Whats the best heatsink... and what will be the best choice for a memory upgrade? I will be keeping the 1GB Hyper X, should I get a diff brand for the 2nd set? Also, how do you set your bios up for the new RAM? I guess to get my moneys worth out of the Hyper X, I need the settings to up the memory speed for my set up? Specs are in sig. CPU runs at 46 degrees and with a load runs above 73 degrees. Thanks again guys!

sailer

Splendid
First the cooler; a Zalman 6500 or something from Sythe would be loads better. Use Artic Silver 5 with it.

The new ram would would best if matched exactly what you have. Anything else and it defaults to the settings of the worst ram that you have. If you decide on new ram, take your pick, Corsair, OCZ, Pariot, Mushkin, they're all good. Otherwise, just duplicate the Hyper ram that you have in order to get the 2 gig. The BIOS will adjust automatically, unless you want to specifically change some settings (overclock).

sailer

Splendid
Okay, Ill get some ram to match my other 1GB. Now, how to overclock it? Specs in sig...

Overclocking, where the fun and excitment begins. I'm going to assume that you have part number KHX3200A/1G. Hate making assumptions, but one has to start someplace, right? In the BIOS, make sure the ram set for 1T. You can try raising the voltage to 2.7-2.8 volts. Try raising the memclock in steps up to 216, for a 433 total. Remember this is DDR so everything gets doubled, or thereabouts. Also, if things get unstable, back down to the auto, except make sure the timing stays at 1T.

Haven't found much on overclocking the cpu in particular, what with the mobo being discontinued and all. You might find something specifically helpful in the overclocking sections. To tell the truth, I'm more familiar with AMD cpu's that with Intel, and ASUS boards more than Abit.

sailer

Splendid
Yes, take out the generic. It will hold everything else back. The motherboard will default to the lowest ram, which will be the generic. Most generic can't be overclocked either, but that's kind of a coin toss. May it can, maybe it can't, isn't worth the hastle.

jeepn

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
word... :) Also, what is agp aperture? I have a 256 card but the reading in the bios says AGP Aperature setting 64? I also tweaked my CPU to 214... getting 3.43 now, wondering if I can hit 3.6 w/out a CPU aftermarket fan.

sailer

Splendid
AGP aperture size refers to the amount of memory that is used. Common default is 64 mb, but it can be raised to 128 mb or even 256 mb. You should probably be able to use the 256 mb setting, in fact this would be ideal, but if not the 128 mb setting is better than the 64 mb. This is one of those "Try it and see if its stable" things.

3.43 on your cpu is good. Keep a close watch on the cpu temps. Before going higher, you should probably get a better fan/heatsink. Take your pick, Zalman or Sythe. They're both good at what they do. So far, you're looking good.