Sign in with
Your question

my bro is a ______ and wants a X1950 XTX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 11, 2006 5:42:15 PM

and he won't have it any other way, even though I told him it's not worth it.
At most I told him to get the X1900 XT which is highly recommended here...

Neither of us will be upgrading to Vista for a looooooooooooooooong time, so the DirectX 10 argument won't work either...

whatever it's his money

My question is: If the Core (650)/Memory (2000) Clock are the same on every card (ATI, HIS, Sapphire, etc.), other than the bundled software, will there be any difference between them? performance wise

Thank you.

More about : bro x1950 xtx

October 11, 2006 5:53:26 PM

Quote:
My question is: If the Core (650)/Memory (2000) Clock are the same on every card (ATI, HIS, Sapphire, etc.), other than the bundled software, will there be any difference between them? performance wise

There's no performance difference between different brands, provided that they are all clocked the same. In this case, make a decision based on price, warranty, and cooling.
October 11, 2006 6:06:07 PM

Quote:

Neither of us will be upgrading to Vista for a looooooooooooooooong time, so the DirectX 10 argument won't work either...

Don't waste your breath...let him waste his money. Just laugh in his face when your rig runs just as fast and you still had enough money to go on a date.

And this directx 10 shouldn't even be an issue anyways. I'll bet money that most if not all of the recent Video cards will run direct X 10 without problems. Fisrt off I don't see the masses buying new video cards just to run vista. Second, I don't see the masses buying vista when it comes out initially anyways. So whats the big deal?
Related resources
October 11, 2006 6:07:09 PM

Quote:

i didnt think the x1950xt was a dx10 part.
October 11, 2006 6:19:43 PM

Quote:

He's saying that, because he and his brother aren't planning on upgrading to Vista, not to recommend waiting for DX10 cards.

Quote:
Don't waste your breath...let him waste his money. Just laugh in his face when your rig runs just as fast and you still had enough money to go on a date.

There's nothing wrong with the X1950XTX. It's expensive, but it's the fastest single-GPU video card available.

Quote:
And this directx 10 shouldn't even be an issue anyways. I'll bet money that most if not all of the recent Video cards will run direct X 10 without problems.

DX10 games will be backwards-compatible to run on DX9 hardware. Maybe even DX8 hardware :lol: 

Quote:
Fisrt off I don't see the masses buying new video cards just to run vista. Second, I don't see the masses buying vista when it comes out initially anyways.

They're going to wait for the first service pack :lol: 
October 11, 2006 6:23:15 PM

Quote:

And this directx 10 shouldn't even be an issue anyways. I'll bet money that most if not all of the recent Video cards will run direct X 10 without problems. Fisrt off I don't see the masses buying new video cards just to run vista. Second, I don't see the masses buying vista when it comes out initially anyways. So whats the big deal?

I'll take you on your bet. Why don't you bet all your assests, stocks, 401K, and anything else you have of financial value, and I'll say that no cards right now support DX10. Now now, don't rescind your bet, I'm sure your not over 18 yet so you have nothing to your name anyways. But make any more uninformed opinions, and I will be forced to slap you with the stupid stick.

First off, we know the X1900XT doesn't run as fast the X1950XTX, but its at a better price per performance. If he has the money, and doesn't care about DX10, then let him get the X1950XTX, DX10 games won't matter for a while at least. If I wanted top of the line right now, then the X1950XTX is the way to go (I don't like the GX2, even though its marginally better and marginally more)

And about Vista, the masses might not all run out and buy it, but I'm pretty sure all the system builders will start selling it, which means it already has a huge base. But he never said in his post about buying a card to run Vista, only about how he doesn't care about DX10.

- Waves Stupidity Stick Threatingly
October 11, 2006 6:37:23 PM

Of the card makers that you list, I'd probably go with ATI or HIS. Of course, check out the bundled software. The X1950 XT (or XTX) shoud be a great card, It won't run all the DX10 stuff of course, but it will do great for what it is. You can check the latest GPU charts from Tom's to see how good it is.

The only real argument I can see against this is that Nvidia is supposed to be coming out with the G80 series next month, and they're supposed to be DX10 cards. Vista may be a several months away, but if the prices are comparible, I'd buy a DX10 card now and be ready, rather than buy a DX9 card and have to buy another card later. This does, of course, depend on Nvidia actuyally releasing the G80 next month.
October 11, 2006 6:41:11 PM

Quote:

He's saying that, because he and his brother aren't planning on upgrading to Vista, not to recommend waiting for DX10 cards.

ya, i just realized that one, its sleepy time here at work.
October 11, 2006 6:50:43 PM

Quote:

>> I'll bet money that most if not all of the recent Video cards will run direct X 10 without problems.

I'll take that bet. Lets say $1000?

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=5...

Now please let me know where I can collect my money!
October 11, 2006 6:53:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with the X1950XTX. It's expensive, but it's the fastest single-GPU video card available.

Quote:
And this directx 10 shouldn't even be an issue anyways. I'll bet money that most if not all of the recent Video cards will run direct X 10 without problems.

DX10 games will be backwards-compatible to run on DX9 hardware. Maybe even DX8 hardware :lol: 

Quote:
Fisrt off I don't see the masses buying new video cards just to run vista. Second, I don't see the masses buying vista when it comes out initially anyways.

They're going to wait for the first service pack :lol: 

>> DX10 games will be backwards-compatible to run on DX9 hardware. Maybe even DX8 hardware :lol: 

Maybe, maybe not. Its up to each game's developer.
Also any DX10 eye-candy in those games will not be visible under DX9.
October 11, 2006 6:56:08 PM

Hey! I already bet him his whole life savings and all financial assets. He ain't got 1c to his name, let alone 1000 bucks. Now let the poor guy die in shame in the gutters and stop taking the last shreds of his dignity.

Yeah, DX10 should have backwards compatability for all DX9 cards, although DX8 might be pushing it? I guess we'll see. I wonder though, if MS will start working on integrating a physics engine into their current DX developers kits, or maybe create something new... shrug. Work a deal out with Havok or something. Either way, I'm still more interested to see where physics is taking us then anything else. Exciting times... yep yep.
October 11, 2006 7:07:30 PM

Does anybody know of a reliable test between a x1950xtx and a 7950gx2? ( I don’t trust the new interactive charts )
October 11, 2006 7:12:09 PM

thanks for your replies :) 

yeah I told him about the upcoming cards from nVidia, he doesn't care...

the sad thing is, it's going to waste, the most demanding game in our house is F.E.A.R. and I'm the only one who plays it, and it runs great w/ max settings on my 7600 GT

the only game hes really interested in getting is Age of Empires III

and the only reason he has the money is because I built him his new system from my previous parts (I just had to buy a case, some memory and a mobo)
i gave it to him as his bday/xmas gift
it's running an Athlon 64 3400+ and a GeForce 6200 SE Turbo Cache

anyways, thanks again guys
October 11, 2006 7:46:52 PM

Hmmmm, since it seems he doesn't know any better, get a x1900xt and say its a x1950xtx, hopefully he never realizes the difference =)

As for comparisons... there are many out there, but I can't name any off the top of my head. I can sum most of them up... the 7950 GX2 is probably at most, 20 frames faster in some games and maybe 5 frames slower in others. All in all, it's faster, but because it is SLI, might have issues with non-sli supported games... which basically means you have a $550 7900GT, but shouldn't be much problems with newer games...

Also, GX2 has heat problems, and can't OC as well as the X1950XTX although both can still OC decently. ATI has been said to have better image quality and the ability to do HDR + AA, but thats just nickel and dimes.
October 11, 2006 9:43:41 PM

I wouldnt buy a first gen dx10 card anyway. Better to wait for the later versions about 4'th quarter 07 they should have most if not all the bugs worked out.
By then vista will be shipping in volume and we can see dx10 benchmarks probably so we have a better idea what works the best.
October 11, 2006 10:09:32 PM

Quote:
I wouldnt buy a first gen dx10 card anyway.

I wouldn't buy a first-gen anything. That includes operating system; I'm not getting Vista until the first service pack. In the meantime, I'll soldier on with XP (possible switch to 2000).
October 11, 2006 10:15:09 PM

Yea first gen anything usually has teething problems.
Best to wait till the second gen normally. And your right about windows.
I didnt upgrade to xp till after sp1 for the same reasons.
Honestly I could get by with win2k just as well. Vista will have to wait till I MUST have it or I get a free copy with some hardware or something :p 
Even then I may not install it for a while.
October 11, 2006 10:16:48 PM

that guy is getting pwned. yea dx10 wont run on a dx9 video card. the game may support dx9 as well but it wont be dx10.
October 11, 2006 10:30:03 PM

Quote:
I wouldnt buy a first gen dx10 card anyway. Better to wait for the later versions about 4'th quarter 07 they should have most if not all the bugs worked out.
By then vista will be shipping in volume and we can see dx10 benchmarks probably so we have a better idea what works the best.

I bought a first-gen dx9 card (9700pro) and it still rocks the casbah on all games up to the FEAR release... after that it hit the wall. :p  (still plays bf2 well) It flat dominated the gf4 from Nv at the time of release and shreded the gf5 that tried to match it. Not many dx9 games to start, but even dx8 rocked on that card.

Bottom line: first-gen is not always bad... ;) 
October 11, 2006 11:21:07 PM

True but im poor. I wait and see. While some first gen stuff is fine by and large there are problems.
October 12, 2006 1:20:25 PM

Quote:
Now now, don't rescind your bet, I'm sure your not over 18 yet so you have nothing to your name anyways. But make any more uninformed opinions, and I will be forced to slap you with the stupid stick.

Hehe...I love it when a plan comes together. 8) 8) Calling people stupid and underage pretty much invalidates your post. Not to mention the fact that the point of my post went over everyones head...lol.

Yes we all know "DX10" will not be backwards compatablie with "DX9." But this does not mean that the graphics cards makers can't make hardware that is both compatible with DX9 and DX10. That is a whole seperate issue.

Maybe some new drivers could even make some present cards DX10 compatable. I really doubt it but this vista thing is still shrouded in mystery. Nothing is gospel yet. Until I see oficial word on things I'm not going to even worry about DX10 and vista.
October 12, 2006 1:55:52 PM

Quote:
True but im poor. I wait and see. While some first gen stuff is fine by and large there are problems.

Fair enough. Probably the safer bet. ;) 
October 14, 2006 12:24:08 AM

maybe wait for nvidia to launch there dx10 cards, ati probably will slash prices of graphic cards across the board
October 14, 2006 12:26:45 AM

I do hope so :) 
October 21, 2006 10:58:22 AM

Quote:

I'll take you on your bet. Why don't you bet all your assests, stocks, 401K, and anything else you have of financial value, and I'll say that no cards right now support DX10. Now now, don't rescind your bet, I'm sure your not over 18 yet so you have nothing to your name anyways. But make any more uninformed opinions, and I will be forced to slap you with the stupid stick.

First off, we know the X1900XT doesn't run as fast the X1950XTX, but its at a better price per performance. If he has the money, and doesn't care about DX10, then let him get the X1950XTX, DX10 games won't matter for a while at least. If I wanted top of the line right now, then the X1950XTX is the way to go (I don't like the GX2, even though its marginally better and marginally more)

And about Vista, the masses might not all run out and buy it, but I'm pretty sure all the system builders will start selling it, which means it already has a huge base. But he never said in his post about buying a card to run Vista, only about how he doesn't care about DX10.

- Waves Stupidity Stick Threatingly

he never said that any cards out now support DX10 you idiot.
!