Install Updated Scanner Driver

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
July 5, 2004 10:15:27 PM

Here's an easy question that I don't know the answer to.

I have a Visioneer Paperport 3000 scanner that I bought years ago when
I had Windows 95. When I upgraded to Windows 98, also in the 20th
century, I reinstalled that scanner software even though it was
Windows 95, not 98, compatible. It still worked but gave me an error
message when I scanned something.

Now, in the 21st century, I still prefer Windows 98 so have not
upgraded operating systems. But I now have a new hard drive . I have
not yet reinstalled my scanner software. I found an updated driver on
the Internet for my scanner so it is Windows 98 compatible. The
instructions for updating my driver say that I should first uninstall
my old driver, but I don't have the old driver installed on my new
hard drive.

My question: Can I just install this updated driver, or must I first
install the software that came with the scanner, then get rid of the
old driver?

Note: The download site for the new driver says "Requires ServicePack
3." If I've been doing my Windows Updates, I'm current on that, right?

Thanks,
Beth
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 2:58:03 AM

In article <m1vie0tcg5lrurmev9ilnb4fhpanqrn4sq@4ax.com>, Elizabeth
<bethvollbach@earthlink.deletethis.net> writes
>Here's an easy question that I don't know the answer to.
>
>I have a Visioneer Paperport 3000 scanner that I bought years ago when
>I had Windows 95. When I upgraded to Windows 98, also in the 20th
>century, I reinstalled that scanner software even though it was
>Windows 95, not 98, compatible. It still worked but gave me an error
>message when I scanned something.
>
>Now, in the 21st century, I still prefer Windows 98 so have not
>upgraded operating systems. But I now have a new hard drive . I have
>not yet reinstalled my scanner software. I found an updated driver on
>the Internet for my scanner so it is Windows 98 compatible. The
>instructions for updating my driver say that I should first uninstall
>my old driver, but I don't have the old driver installed on my new
>hard drive.
>
>My question: Can I just install this updated driver, or must I first
>install the software that came with the scanner, then get rid of the
>old driver?

Of course you can install the new driver straight away - the purpose of
un-installing the old driver is to get the system in as close a state as
possible to what you already have, without trace of the old driver.
Since your system is already in that state, you can safely ignore that
step.

>Note: The download site for the new driver says "Requires ServicePack
>3." If I've been doing my Windows Updates, I'm current on that, right?

Its difficult to say with certainty concerning anything from Microsoft.
In principle yes, you should be OK with the updates since the
ServicePack *should* just be an assembly of all of the critical updates
in one step, but check that the driver is not specific to W98SE, as
opposed to W98.

Either way, if it doesn't work then the worst thing that can happen is
you need to reinstall Windows98 on your new drive again - can't be more
than a 10 minute exercise.
--
Kennedy