Sign in with
Your question

Need help wiring up the power switch on first build

Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2006 6:38:40 PM

ok, i have got my basic components in my case, proccesor, heatsinkk, ram, and im now trying to wire up the power button hd led and the reset button. i have three sets of plastic plugs, power, hd led and reset which will each take 2 pins. i have an assrock 775 dual-vsta. I know that some of the plugs are polarity specific, but i dont know which wire on each of the plug's is positive or negative. will putting them on wrong damage the system?

ty in advance
October 11, 2006 7:13:31 PM

The polarity of the power and reset switches don't matter. If you attach the HDD leads backwards, the HDD activity light won't light, but that's all - just switch it the right way around.

Look closely, the leads will usually be labeled (+) or (-). Look at the manual for your motherboard, at the pinout for that header. The polarity will be marked.

But you won't toast anything if you get it wrong.
October 11, 2006 7:20:11 PM

ty, so basically all i can do wrong is stop the hdd light, ty. thing is my plugs have no polarity markings :S silly case design, oh well.
Related resources
October 11, 2006 7:29:59 PM

Quote:
ty, so basically all i can do wrong is stop the hdd light, ty. thing is my plugs have no polarity markings :S silly case design, oh well.

The main thing is you won't break anything.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 11, 2006 7:51:40 PM

Usually the colored wire is positive and the negative wire is white. As said before, it won't hurt anything if you connect them backwards.
!