Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ActiveX in Pocket PC 2003 Internet Explorer

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
February 1, 2005 10:35:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

We have a couple of network cameras on our network, they use software that
loads into a browser and you can view the streaming image form it. I cant
get it to work on PPC.

I have found a little information on the net but it has confused me.

Can anyone advise please.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 10:35:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

PPC uses the ARM processor. It is pretty unlikely that the browser plugin
software that came with your cameras has binaries that work on ARM as
opposed to x86 processors.

"Woody" <tosca925@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
news:et%23LrUJCFHA.328@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> We have a couple of network cameras on our network, they use software that
> loads into a browser and you can view the streaming image form it. I cant
> get it to work on PPC.
>
> I have found a little information on the net but it has confused me.
>
> Can anyone advise please.
>
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:13:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

If it's the Axis cam's we've gone through this recently on the
newsgroup - they don't work cause they need to install a Java applet
on the device (and only netfront supports Java in any meaningful way)

In addition, the browser applet seems to be set up to require about
1024x768 screen space to be workable. You don't have that, sorry ;-)

HTH
Cheers - Neil

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:35:19 -0000, "Woody"
<tosca925@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>We have a couple of network cameras on our network, they use software that
>loads into a browser and you can view the streaming image form it. I cant
>get it to work on PPC.
>
>I have found a little information on the net but it has confused me.
>
>Can anyone advise please.
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:13:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi! I have a lot of downtime in class, so I was hoping to download some
free games, but i have no idea how to do that. Can anyone point me in the
right direction? thanks!
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 2:13:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:mb4001p0v7evd7aj6duvaiahiu0skjuabm@4ax.com...
> If it's the Axis cam's we've gone through this recently on the
> newsgroup - they don't work cause they need to install a Java applet
> on the device (and only netfront supports Java in any meaningful way)
>
> In addition, the browser applet seems to be set up to require about
> 1024x768 screen space to be workable. You don't have that, sorry ;-)
>
> HTH
> Cheers - Neil
>

Actually, AXIS has a version that runs on the PPC
as a stand-alone app...

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_ace/

Last time I checked, it was $99.00.

So, therefore, I have not played with it, although
there's a (probably limited) demo version available.

> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 19:35:19 -0000, "Woody"
> <tosca925@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >We have a couple of network cameras on our network, they use software
that
> >loads into a browser and you can view the streaming image form it. I cant
> >get it to work on PPC.
> >
> >I have found a little information on the net but it has confused me.
> >
> >Can anyone advise please.
> >
>
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 1:02:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 17:40:13 -0700, "V Green" <vanceg@nowhere.net>
wrote:

>"Neil Smith [MVP Digital Media]" <neil@nospam.com> wrote in message
>news:mb4001p0v7evd7aj6duvaiahiu0skjuabm@4ax.com...
>> If it's the Axis cam's we've gone through this recently on the
>> newsgroup - they don't work cause they need to install a Java applet
>
>Actually, AXIS has a version that runs on the PPC
>as a stand-alone app...
>
>http://www.axis.com/products/cam_ace/

O wow that's great ! I stand corrected then - I searched for this
before and there was no indication of a Pocket PC client - cool.

>Last time I checked, it was $99.00.

Ah, that's less cool then. Having a demo available is a help, but $99
for a pocket PC "Viewer" program ?! It might be better to run the
desktop viewer and screen capture the image, then rebroadcast that !

>So, therefore, I have not played with it, although
>there's a (probably limited) demo version available.

The OP seems to have disappered - no indication if it's actually an
Axis or not (though they're quite common). O well *I* learned
something anyway ;-)

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 7:12:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

> Hi! I have a lot of downtime in class, so I was hoping to download some
> free games, but i have no idea how to do that. Can anyone point me in the
> right direction? thanks!

The Downloads section of this directory lists sites that have freeware,
including games.

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/_top/bestsites.asp

Jim
!