Sign in with
Your question

Windows setup could not configure to work on this computer's hardware.

Last response: in Windows 7
June 3, 2011 6:52:59 PM

Hi, I am trying to install windows 64 bit on a computer I just put together and I get the title's message on "completing installation" no matter what I try.

120GB Fujitsu Hard drive is set to IDE, but I've tried AHCI as well. 2GB Crucial RAM. Motherboard is ASUS M4A785-M, processor is OEM Phenom II x4 920. Using on board graphics. The only USB device that is plugged in is my mouse. I've tried 2 different ISOs and almost all the editions and I get the same result. I've tried installing the chipset driver along with it, but when I do it just freezes after it restarts.

I'm starting to think that something isn't compatible with a 64 bit OS, even though everything is listed...:/

Any help would be appreciated.
June 3, 2011 7:28:26 PM

Try removing and replacing all the components, it might be a faulty connection somewhere.

You say you are installing from an ISO - is this a ghost image or is it a copy of an OS installation disk?
If Ghost image your screwed cos your hardware differs from the copy

Most importantly - You forgot to mention what version of windows (for AHCI you need at least vista)...

Also, you do not need to install the chipset drivers to get into windows. Windows is such a clunky beast because it already contains all the drivers neccessary to allow it to boot in almost any environment.
m
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
June 3, 2011 7:38:43 PM

hilltopmonk said:

Most importantly - You forgot to mention what version of windows (for AHCI you need at least vista)...

AHCI works in XP also, but you need to use the F6 during installation to load in the sata/AHCI drivers which should have come on a disk supplied with the motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
!