BIOS forgets settings after every shutdown A8N-SLI

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Every time I start my PC I get the BIOS message that default values had to be loaded (Asus A8N-SLI SE board).
I got this board back after trying to sell it on eBay. The guy couldn't get it to work, so I've got it back now. It works all beautifully in my computer, were it not for the above problem. I don't know what the other guy did to it, but here we are. The CMOS battery never used to make any problems, and the board is only 6 months old. I did take it out once though to clear the CMOS (with jumpering). I noticed that there are two little metal brackets holding it, which got a bit bent. Maybe even more than a little. Are these really just holding brackets, or do they actually connect the battery electrically?

Any suggestions what I could try? I'll swap the battery tomorrow, just in case.

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I know that one contact is inside the socket, but I never figured out where the other contact is. Is it the at the side, or also the underside of the battery? Also, I have a battery from a different main board that I could put in. Can I just do this, or do I have to get the exact same model?