Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Ipac cradle not charging fully via USB?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
February 1, 2005 11:06:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I have an Acer Asipre 1800 notebook and I was wondering if the USB ports
(2.0 apparently) are fully 5-volt capable because I seem to have a real hard
time getting more than 10 to 15 % battery charge...even after a full
night...yes the laptop is pluged into AC...and yes, the IPac has a fresh
battery...

Anyone have issues with USB cradle carging like this?

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 11:55:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

I think that is hardly surprising seeing as the output of the AC charger is
5 volts at 2 Amps. You are never going to get that sort of current out of a
USB port, especially on a notebook.

--
Please respond to the Newsgroup for the benefit of others who may be
interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Phil" <jw.woelfle@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:efVQ$LMCFHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>I have an Acer Asipre 1800 notebook and I was wondering if the USB ports
>(2.0 apparently) are fully 5-volt capable because I seem to have a real
>hard time getting more than 10 to 15 % battery charge...even after a full
>night...yes the laptop is pluged into AC...and yes, the IPac has a fresh
>battery...
>
> Anyone have issues with USB cradle carging like this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:44:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Make sure you switch the PPC off to get full power to charge the
batteries. If you leave the PPC on then there may not be enough
power to charge, especially if the display backlight is on.

Duncan

"Doug Robbins" <dkr@NOmvpsSPAM.org> wrote in message
news:%23hgEZpMCFHA.2156@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I think that is hardly surprising seeing as the output of the
AC charger is
> 5 volts at 2 Amps. You are never going to get that sort of
current out of a
> USB port, especially on a notebook.
>
> --
> Please respond to the Newsgroup for the benefit of others who
may be
> interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be
answered on a paid
> consulting basis.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Doug Robbins - Word MVP
> "Phil" <jw.woelfle@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> news:efVQ$LMCFHA.3504@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >I have an Acer Asipre 1800 notebook and I was wondering if
the USB ports
> >(2.0 apparently) are fully 5-volt capable because I seem to
have a real
> >hard time getting more than 10 to 15 % battery charge...even
after a full
> >night...yes the laptop is pluged into AC...and yes, the IPac
has a fresh
> >battery...
> >
> > Anyone have issues with USB cradle carging like this?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 8:44:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Note that most cradles _do not charge from the activesync connection_.
You should check the specifications of the cable/cradle to see if usb
charging is claimed. If this is the case, the "increase" you are seeing
may just be battery recovery voltage from being turned off overnight.

The reason for this is that certified usb devices (such as oem
equipment) must specify the amount of power they demand from the usb
port, so, most oems claim signal power only and provide charging power
through the cradle from a separate charging adapter... if the charger is
not connected to the cradle, the unit will sync but not charge.

A number of aftermarket usb "charging cables" have been on the market
for the past couple of years because they don't have to meet this
specification... the cables have no usb id's and, therefore don't have
to report their power demand to the host. If they claim charging
capability, you should be getting a charge subject to the following.

Additionally, usb ports have different power capacities depending on
their capabilities plus the number of other devices connected to the
port... when power demand exceeds what the host can provide, the power
section of the port simply shuts down.

In some cases, where all devices correctly report their power demand,
you may receive a power demand error message, but, in my experience,
this occurs only in cases where attached devices listed demands exceed
the host's specification capacity.

HTH,
Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
February 3, 2005 11:32:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev] wrote:

> Note that most cradles _do not charge from the activesync connection_.
> You should check the specifications of the cable/cradle to see if usb
> charging is claimed. If this is the case, the "increase" you are seeing
> may just be battery recovery voltage from being turned off overnight.
>
> The reason for this is that certified usb devices (such as oem
> equipment) must specify the amount of power they demand from the usb
> port, so, most oems claim signal power only and provide charging power
> through the cradle from a separate charging adapter... if the charger is
> not connected to the cradle, the unit will sync but not charge.
>
> A number of aftermarket usb "charging cables" have been on the market
> for the past couple of years because they don't have to meet this
> specification... the cables have no usb id's and, therefore don't have
> to report their power demand to the host. If they claim charging
> capability, you should be getting a charge subject to the following.
>
> Additionally, usb ports have different power capacities depending on
> their capabilities plus the number of other devices connected to the
> port... when power demand exceeds what the host can provide, the power
> section of the port simply shuts down.
>
> In some cases, where all devices correctly report their power demand,
> you may receive a power demand error message, but, in my experience,
> this occurs only in cases where attached devices listed demands exceed
> the host's specification capacity.
>
> HTH,
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]

Very true.
I have an iPAQ hx4700 which will sync but not charge using the HP cradle
but I have purchased a charge/sync cable which is a lot more convenient
to use and this charges the iPAQ battery very quickly, typically from
around 80% to full charge in just over a hour.

Ash
!