Open GL cards

cleeve

Illustrious
You sure Premiere doesn't use DirectX?

It doesn't really matter that much anyway, any decent 3d card should handle the realtime 3d requirements of Premiere 1.5 or 2.0. At least, that's been my experience, I use premiere alot... a decent X1600 or 7600 GS should do fine.

An X1300 or 6600 would probably do the job, too.

cleeve

Illustrious
OpenGL is Nvidia's domain. Get a Geforce, and then use Rivatuner to soft-mode it into a Quadro card. Professional grade OpenGL support.

Not really. Maybe for pro 3d apps like 3dStudio MAX and Maya, Nvidia's drivers are superior...

But for video editing, it don't make a difference. Ati is as good as Nvidia there, just like with gaming.

cleeve

Illustrious
Meh, I can list some major Nvidia screwups, too. (Grotesque GeforceFX era optimizations, anyone? Or even todays texture shimmering at default settings...)

But the fact is for video editing, it doesn't matter. Ati drivers are great, and so are Nvidias.

In fact, if you're into video rendering and encoding, Ati's AVIVO drivers will give you a huge speed boost in some circumstances. Purevideo doesn't yet use the GPU to accelerate encoding, from what I understand.

depends on what kind of acceleration, and if the software makes use of the hardware... MPEG-1 ecompression is ancient, MPEG2 at least is accelerated by geforce3 and more recent, but MPEG4 is a bit more dodgy - and doing video editing in WMV is tantamount to committing suicide, due to lax sync, destructive compression algorithms and uneditable format.

cleeve

Illustrious
The AVIVO drivers accelerate the newest high res H.264 stuff - actually using the GPU hardware.

Amazing speed gains over the CPU only, you should google it. Nifty stuff.

OK - nice, however not many people/hardware use H264 yet (MPEG4 is h.263). But, if you have the opportunity - and your editing software actually knows how to use this acceleration, then by all means use H264 and avivo.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
3d effects, like on avid and adobe

If you're using Avid, then nvidia is your only choice: they refuse to make their OpenGL code work on anything else.

I use a 7800GS with Xpress Pro 5.6 and it seems to work fine.