Windows 7 cd question

epmcn124

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Hey everyone, i bought a dell inspiron laptop a few months ago and it came with the OS installed etc... it also came with a windows 7 home premium 64 bit "reinstallation cd" which is sealed and not opened yet, im wondering if it would work with the build that im doing this summer or is it just what it says, a "RE - installation cd"?

Also i have an unrelated question but i figure i would put it here since im already making this thread, my question is will a gfx card like a powercolor radeon 6950 work in an intel chipset motherboard just as well as an amd motherboard (im using crossfire or sli; still not sure on the gfx card) thanks.

I know it's solved, but to be clear:

Windows:
You will want to buy this version of Windows for $100 from an online store like NCIX:

Windows 7 Premium x64 OEM

After you've installed Windows, the motherboard drivers, other drivers and Microsoft updates you should ACTIVATE windows and THEN make an IMAGE of your C-Drive. If you have a Western Digital drive you can use their free Acronis True Image software to make a backup. Backup to a secondary or USB hard drive. Keep that original backup and periodically make a second backup so you can RESTORE it in case of major problems with your software (such as a hard drive or SSD failure).

Graphics:
Absolutely any graphics card will work in any modern motherboard, however motherboards vary in support of multiple cards. Motherboards come in FOUR types:
1. No SLI or Crossfire support
2. SLI only (NVidia)
3. Crossfire only (AMD)
4. SLI or Crossfire

If still deciding on the graphics card, may I recommend the Asus GTX560Ti. Buy just one and see if it's adequate for your needs. If your motherboards supports SLI and you decide you want a little more graphics power then get a second identical card.

TRENDING THREADS