Time for an upgrade and I need some advice...

prodaytrader

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I am currently running a rather dated reciever and 2 book shelf speakers on a 7.1 sound card. BF 2142 is about to be released so I want to finally take the 7.1 or 5.1 plunge. I already have a pretty nice sub so I was thinking about keeping that. My question is this: whats the best way to hook up to the sound card these days? I have been useing a reciever set up for about 10 years now. Is there a better way or is this still the best? My sound card has 4 jacks for direct speaker hook up. I have doubts that the sound card can really power a decent set of speakers. The speaker kits that I see in the stores look pretty cheese compared to a DIY system. Should I be looking to connect the sound system directly to the sound card or should I just stick with the line out and then build off a reciever? Thanks for the tips.
P.s. I will likely have about $300 or so to work with. I will stick with my current sound card and only be upgrading the speaker system. The sub is in top notch so I will likely keep that if I go the reciever route. I was thinking that I could probably find a way to hook it up to the sound card directly if I go the direct hook up to the sound card route.

Hawkmielle

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
There is no straight forward answer to that question in my opinion.

With a $300 budget a nice set of 5.1 or 7.1 computer speakers will work and take advantage of your 4 line out jacks. Problem solved and you will definately stay under budget. Klipsch, Logitech and others make some pretty good packages. Just don't pay retail price for them at a big box store. Good computer retailers will sell them for 30-50% less then the suggested manufacturer retail price.

If your sound card has a digital out (either the digital coaxial or fibre optic spdif) then you could instead upgrade your receiver and use the digital connection. A home theatre receiver + good speakers will definately be better then a computer speaker setup, however I think budget comes into question, especially when new speakers have to be added to your existing situation.

I recently upgraded by Yamaha Natural Sound 2 channel receiver + Energy speakers for a set of Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers ($70cdn). My main focus is games on the computer and no problems recommending it. Especially since my X-Fi card does not provide a digital out.

prodaytrader

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I went ahead with the reciever route. I picked up a slight above average entry level reciever with about 110 watts per channel. After all, I'm only playing games, I rarely watch movies on the computer (I use the video out and pipe it to the tv/home theater) and listen to mp3's which are terrible audio anyway. Since I cant really tell that the audio is terrible in a mp3 and everyone insists that its a terrible audio compression, my guess is that a mid grade reciever will work just fine. I truely dont have the "ear" for quality audio. I'm half deaf in actuallity so I assume that there must be a certain loss in quality listening experience. At any rate, my budget flew right the hell out the window when I saw what I could actually get for 300. Practicly nothing as far as I am concerned. I ended up spending nearly 600 on a setup that retails for 900. The system looks and sounds great to me so I am perfectly happy, even though I will have nothing to eat this week other then the shielding on the wires I stripped off tonight.

My only issue seems to be with the Mp3's themselves. Movies and games come out fine on the satelite speakers with audio jetting around the room when called for. However music comes through the center channel at about 80 percent volume with the remaining 4 having maybe 20 percent. It sound terrible to have all the volume coming through one speaker. My guess is that I have some setting to tweak so that I can get all the speakers playing the music and not just 1.

Hawkmielle

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Good choice! (except of course the no food part) I figured the budget would have to give for that type of setup :) Glad you didn't cheap out on one of those home theatre in a box type of setups.

As for the center channel sound, have you tried changing surround modes on the receiver? If you are leaving it in dolby pro-logic, DD5.1 or DTS mode most of the sound will come from the centre channel. Try switching it to stereo mode, it will direct the output to your front left and right speakers only. Alternatively there are other surround modes which will take your source (mp3 in this case) and send it to all five speakers at once. Just cycle through until you find a mode that you like best.

ddemaray

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I would stick to your reciever. Even the best sound card I would not think would match up to even a decent reciever. I have the soundblaster x-fi fatal1ty and I am very happy with it...i also have a klipsch 5.1 surround sound system which sounds incredible. If you were starting from scratch that is what I would recommend.

But with your current config. I would just buy some extra speakers and hook then directly into the reciever.

someguyy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I quite enjoy my 4.1 setup.

I have an old Marantz 2220b hooked up to my audigy 2zs powering 2 huge technics 3-way floor speakers that sit behind me (the things have 12in woofers in them) so its great for listening to music. In the front i have an old pair of altec lansing's with a dedicated sub. It sounds great and the best part is most of the stuff was picked up at tag sales or a hand-me-down (like the Marantz).

About the only thing that is missing is a good center channel (which i really need for games).

Euphoria5125

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2006
I have a set of Klipsch Pro Media , 2.1's and they are def. adaqute for personal use. The multi-channel products im sure are comparable or better then what im useing now. If they are THX certified usually they perform great. (IMO)

Jason

prodaytrader

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I discovered tonight that there is definatly more to the reciever settings then what I figured. For the longest time I was unable to get any sub frequencies at all. Then I started playing with the inputs on the reciever and low and behold sound from the sub started to come out. Unfortunatly I am unable to get sub freqs from the dolby digital live on the sound card. Prehaps I need to enable that again and play with the reciever again. It's all very complicated for some reason.