Has anyone built custom mufflers?

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I'm probably going to be making one for my PSU and possibly another for my exhaust fans. Just wondering if anyone out there has made one already and if you have some good designs. I was just thinking a simple short maze would suffice with acoustic dampening material, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I'm probably going to be making one for my PSU and possibly another for my exhaust fans. Just wondering if anyone out there has made one already and if you have some good designs. I was just thinking a simple short maze would suffice with acoustic dampening material, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
Don't know if you've seen this one.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles716/

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
an easy way you could lessen the noise from your exhaust fans, is to reduce the voltage theyre using, which in turn reduces the rpms, so theyre quieter then... if theyre using 12v connections for instance... you could try lowering it down to 5v or so... ...its the main reason my psu sounds so loud now compared to everything else, lol, cant reduce its voltage any.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
You could reduce the voltage, but that requires opening up your PSU, voiding your warranty, and perhaps ending what short life you had on this planet...

The easiest way is to get a silent PSU, but that costs money... so the cheapest way... I have no clue. It would look pretty ghetto having a huge box on the back of your computer... but it shouldn't be too hard to do, only difficulty is where your going to find materials for it that doesn't make it look as bad as some of the real mufflers I've seen...

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
yeah, lol, that wouldnt be good... the most effective way im cutting off more than half of its noise though as it is right now, is just pushing the tower against the back of my desk, which its sitting underneath, that effectively blocks ~1/2 of the psu exhaust fan though, but beyond that... and... i guess i kinda answered what i was wondering about :oops:

thelvyn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
For a normal fan just use software as long as its plugged into a fan header on the mb. If it is connected with a 4pin molex your sol though.

And you can indeed make the psu fan quiter generally.
See what size fan it uses, buy an appropriatly sized quiet fan(optional)
The wires are normally soldiered directly to the pcb but it depends on the psu as some use a regular fan header.
Just cut and splice(If hardwired), connect from pcb to fan speed control and then to the fan of course.

Or you could just buy a decent psu with auto fan speed control(temp controlled)

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I did, and do, make a "muffler" aka baffle for my powersupplies. And they DO work. I even wrote up on how to do it in a thread here...

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1273400#1273400

It dont cost much and is easy to make... If you dont make a screw in back plate, you can hot glue it on, and it will stay for a long time... just make sure the hot glue is really hot... it sticks better that way...

And hot glue is easy to take off...

You can use wood or plastic, and just get the corner edges at home depot, with some nice black padding. If you look hard enough you will find the stuff:)