Your question

1800XT Xfire Cards??

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 12, 2006 12:15:02 PM

So, when will they come out with these? I don't get it. I bought my card expecting it's mastercard to come out . . . .eventually. And here I see newer models come out with their mastercards rather quickly. As a company, why would ATI make me wait?

More about : 1800xt xfire cards

October 12, 2006 12:35:22 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the cards have to be exactly the same. IDK though, I'm a noob.... wait for someone with more experience to respond. either way, its a free bump
October 12, 2006 1:04:09 PM

I think there is also a way to run crossfire without a "Master" card
October 12, 2006 1:39:51 PM

They discontinued the 1800 series as far as I know. I dont think you will be able to get one. It was a temporary card as like 3 months later they came out with the 1900 series.
October 12, 2006 1:57:02 PM

but they advertised it as a crossfire (ready) card. Discontinued or not (they still make them), they need to make the master card. I remember when they made the crossfire card for the X850 even though it was obsolete by the time. they can't sell you a crossfire card and then never make the crossfire master card for it. It USED to exists (I have seen benchies for it) but I can't find any.

Look Here.
October 12, 2006 1:57:47 PM

Quote:
I think there is also a way to run crossfire without a "Master" card

I haven't heard that yet. Anyone know?
October 12, 2006 2:00:37 PM

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think the cards have to be exactly the same. IDK though, I'm a noob.... wait for someone with more experience to respond. either way, its a free bump

that's true, but the speed will default to the slowest. The 1900XT isn't THAT much faster than my card, but I shouldn't have to do that. ATI still makes 1800XT cards.
I found this ASUS one:
October 12, 2006 2:08:02 PM
October 12, 2006 2:47:50 PM
October 12, 2006 2:49:47 PM

I just linked to several of them for you.
When they say crossfire edition thats supposed to be the master card.
You do realize your could probably just buy 2 1900xt 256mb for not much more then you would pay for one of these and have higher performance right ?
October 12, 2006 7:12:47 PM

Quote:
I just linked to several of them for you.
When they say crossfire edition thats supposed to be the master card.
You do realize your could probably just buy 2 1900xt 256mb for not much more then you would pay for one of these and have higher performance right ?

but I already have the quite expensive waterblock for the 1800XT. I'd hate to have to get rid of it.
October 13, 2006 1:57:50 AM

Thats a refurb, I would spend the extra 43.79 for a new one myself.
$342.79 + shipping here
20 in stock
October 13, 2006 2:20:34 AM

Quote:

that's true, but the speed will default to the slowest. The 1900XT isn't THAT much faster than my card, but I shouldn't have to do that. ATI still makes 1800XT cards.
I found this ASUS one:

That is not true, with Xfire, both cards run at their native, or overclocked speed that you have each individual card at. So there is still a performance when gain running with a stock XT and a XTX version...
October 13, 2006 3:35:32 AM

I have shown him several 1800xt crossfire edition cards with links and crossfire edition is the master card. Correct me if I am wrong.
Btw you can get a 1900xt crossfire edition for the same price as the 1800xt HERE!
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2006 4:09:30 AM

Quote:
http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2768856

Cant you just buy this from ATI.com its in stock and its the regular 1800XT

You need one Master Card (Crossfire Edition) if you want to use crossfire; you can't just combine 2 X1800XT's. I just showed you the refrub becasue it's the cheapest one I know about, and it shows a picture of the crossfire edition retail box.
October 13, 2006 3:32:30 PM

All he needs is a master card. They are called "Crossfire Edition"
I have posted several links above to get one.

He could use ANY crossfire edition card as they do NOT have to be the same.
Both cards would continue to work at their normal speed. No throttling back to match a slower card.

So the 1900xt crossfire edition would be the one to get as it will improve performance over the 1800xt crossfire edition card some for LESS money.

1900xt Crossfire Edition(Master) $329.00 + Shipping

1800xt Crossfire Edition(Master) $342.79 + Shipping
a b U Graphics card
October 13, 2006 10:03:11 PM

Quote:
All he needs is a master card. They are called "Crossfire Edition"
I have posted several links above to get one.

He could use ANY crossfire edition card as they do NOT have to be the same.
Both cards would continue to work at their normal speed. No throttling back to match a slower card.

So the 1900xt crossfire edition would be the one to get as it will improve performance over the 1800xt crossfire edition card some for LESS money.

1900xt Crossfire Edition(Master) $329.00 + Shipping

1800xt Crossfire Edition(Master) $342.79 + Shipping

Can you provide a link proving a X1900 crossfire edition master card can work properly with a X1800XT slave card, and also outperform dual X1800/XT?
October 14, 2006 3:06:30 AM

Here is a link where they talk about using any modern radeon card with a master card x1900xt Crossfire review

On the first page
Quote:

ATI break their Crossfire system down to three components - Crossfire motherboard, Slave videocard and Crossfire master card. The Slave card can be just about any modern Radeon you want, but the Crossfire Master card must specifically be a Crossfire enabled card, as determined by the totally unique adapter it has on its bracket (not to mention "CROSSFIRE EDITION" usually labeled clearly on its box).

I am afraid I cannot locate the page where I originally( a year ago or something) saw it said that.
Worst case scenario the x1900xt will run at the x1800xt speed, and it IS cheaper. It was one of the selling points that they did not have to be the same card. That you could in fact add a second faster card at a later time if desired.

The only limitation is that they are from the same series. the x1k series in this case and they are both from the same series so no problems.
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2006 3:19:46 AM

I thought by same series it meant X1900 crossfire edition works with the X1900 series (any X1900 card - XTX, XT, GT). X1800 crossfire edition works with the X1800 series.... ( X1800XT, X1800XL, X1800GTO), etc.
October 14, 2006 3:29:20 AM

Nope. Any x1k series will work. You could even do it with like a x1300 but that would be crap :p 
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2006 3:36:38 AM

Quote:
Nope. Any x1k series will work. You could even do it with like a x1300 but that would be crap :p 

I don't believe that for a minute and surely wouldn't recommend someone buy one without a link of proof that it works. I think that site botched their understanding of series. I am not saying it's impossible, but rather it's highly unlikely that sites haven't tried it if it's possible. Honestly, until I see a test where crossfire X1900 master works and provides any performance boost with a X1800 series slave, I will believe it is not possible and recommend people avoid wasting their money trying it. I don't at all mind being corrected on this with proof, but until then I stick to a series meaning X1900series, X1800series, etc. and not the generation X or X1. Look at the description for the master cards (crossfire editions). It says to add a X1900 card or X1800 card, not any X1xxx card.
October 14, 2006 4:35:20 AM

Before they ever even came out with them they were saying you could do that.

Here is partial proof before the x1k series came out though.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/06/02/ati_puts_nvidia/...
Quote:

ATI's CrossFire, for example, offers the freedom to choose different card configurations, such as the possibility to combine X800 with X850.
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2006 12:56:10 PM

Honestly, a pre crossfire launch article is far from proof. The person writing that had never had their hands on Crossfire hardware. I'm talking a test where it 1) works, and 2) shows performance #'s proving crossfire is working. My only reason for caring is you are recommending someone buy a $300+ card that is (at best) unproven to work together with his card. Can you see/agree that is careless advice?

Anyway, If you look at this FAQ page, it more than cancels out what that pre launch article says: http://www.ati.com/technology/crossfire/faq.html

Quote:
"2) What graphics cards work with Crossfire?

A. A complete CrossFire system requires a CrossFire Ready motherboard, a CrossFire Edition graphics card and a compatible standard Radeon (CrossFire Ready) graphics card from the same series, or two CrossFire Ready cards if they are software enabled. This applies to cards from ATI or any of its partners.

Card One Card Two
Radeon X1900 Series Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition
Radeon X1800 Series Radeon X1800 CrossFire Edition
Radeon X1600 Series Radeon X1600 Series
Radeon X1300 Series Radeon X1300 Series
Radeon X850 Series Radeon X850 CrossFire Edition
Radeon X800, PRO, XL, GTO, XT
or XT Platinum Edition Radeon X800 CrossFire Edition"

Nowhere do they say you can mix and match every series from the X1K generation. Matter of fact it even shows a X800XT can not be used with a X850 crossfire edition. (goes against that early pre release tidbit)
October 14, 2006 4:54:24 PM

Well it just so happens that I do NOT think it is bad advice. This was supposed to be one of the things that made crossfire better then sli from the beggining.

If I did not think it would work I certainly would not suggest it, you disagree and thats fine your entitled to you opinion as well.

At any rate I have contacted ati to ask them about this and I am waiting for a reply now.
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2006 5:58:06 PM

The advantage is one master card for any in a series. 1900XTX, X1900XT, X1900GT, etc. SLI needs to be the same model (7900GT), and from the start was the same manufacturer and bios revision even. But needing a master card is a disadvantage IMO just as needing the same model and bios version is/was for SLI.

Anyway, what I am saying is, without knowing for sure that something will work...either 1) you have done it first hand, or 2) you have a link proving it works, then IMO that is very careless and could very well end up being bad advice. I don't doubt your intentions(not at all), I just think you need to be more careful before telling an X1800XT owner to buy a X1900 crossfire edition master card.
October 14, 2006 5:59:38 PM

What graphics cards work with Crossfire?

A. A complete CrossFire system requires a CrossFire Ready motherboard, a CrossFire Edition graphics card and a compatible standard Radeon (CrossFire Ready) graphics card from the same series, or two CrossFire Ready cards if they are software enabled. This applies to cards from ATI or any of its partners.

Card One Card Two
Radeon X1900 Series Radeon X1900 CrossFire Edition
Radeon X1800 Series Radeon X1800 CrossFire Edition
Radeon X1600 Series Radeon X1600 Series
Radeon X1300 Series Radeon X1300 Series
Radeon X850 Series Radeon X850 CrossFire Edition
Radeon X800, PRO, XL, GTO, XT
or XT Platinum Edition Radeon X800 CrossFire Edition
"

Nowhere do they say you can mix and match every series from the X1K generation. Matter of fact it even shows a X800XT can not be used with a X850 crossfire edition. (goes against that early pre release tidbit)

That is not an opinion dude!
October 14, 2006 7:58:52 PM

Well have to say there is definately some conflicting info out there.
I am waiting to hear back from ati. I will let you know when they do.
Kinda sucks that the 1800xt CF cost more the the 1900xt CF board though.
a b U Graphics card
October 14, 2006 9:43:16 PM

Let us know what they tell ya.
!