Oct 12, 2006
MSI K9N-Neo Problem , very low speed transfer rate with HDD

Hi all
I upgraded my old PC to new one:
AMD X2 3600
MSI K9N-neo(chipset nvidia nforce 550)
RAM:Dual Geil 512*2
VGA: Leadtek 7600GS Classic
and other devices like sound card,HDD, ... wasn't changed.
in my old pc(Athlon xp 1600/GA-7n400s/512MB RAM Kingston/Geforce FX 5700/HDD 80GB+ Maxtor IDE) when i copy a file with capacity 1.5GB to another partition in my HDD, it takes about 30seconds time. but when i try with same HDD and same file in new PC, it takes about 2 minutes.
I also tried with new Hitachi 250GB Sata 2. there was no change. upgrading BIOS wasn’t effective.
All drivers are installed and last version. (Nvidia Display driver 91.31/chipset 9.16).
Of course, i removed all old PCI Devices: sound card(Nightingale 5.1)/Capture Card(ATI TV Wonder)/Modem(Creative V92) for probability of incompatibility but no change, too!
My windows startup speed is partly low, too.
I use windows xp sp2 & XP 64bit.
I guess that the problem rise from M/B.

Can anyone guide me?

Thanks

davidmf

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
of coursein HD Tune 2.52 average speed is about 46MB/s with Maxtor 80GB & 53MB/s with Hitachi 250GB.

i also should say that in PC Mark 2004, when it start HDD Benchmarks it takes alot of time and at last it abort in step "General HDD Usage".

happy_fanboy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Wow thats a heck of a difference, make sure you are using an 80 conductor IDE cable on the Maxtor, and you might wanna download the maxtor testing tools to rule out any possible new problems with that HD.
On another note, make sure that you install the AMD processor driver, you can download it from AMD's website. Last thing that comes to mind is installing the dual core optimizer patch for windows, you can download that from microsoft. That patch has fixed a wide variety of issues for people. Check your memory timing in BIOS and maybe try changing the memory timing from by spd to "auto".
Plus since were talking, does your passive chipset cooler run curiously hot on that board? Ive used that board twice and i found it to be unacceptably hot and threw a fan on it both times.

davidmf

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Wow thats a heck of a difference, make sure you are using an 80 conductor IDE cable on the Maxtor, and you might wanna download the maxtor testing tools to rule out any possible new problems with that HD.
On another note, make sure that you install the AMD processor driver, you can download it from AMD's website. Last thing that comes to mind is installing the dual core optimizer patch for windows, you can download that from microsoft. That patch has fixed a wide variety of issues for people. Check your memory timing in BIOS and maybe try changing the memory timing from by spd to "auto".
Plus since were talking, does your passive chipset cooler run curiously hot on that board? Ive used that board twice and i found it to be unacceptably hot and threw a fan on it both times.

thanks Happy_Fanboy
i will try those programs. i hope that my problem will be solved.
about fan: yes, my chipset heatsink was hot & i put a fan on it. now temperature is better.
ok, i am going to try that softwares.
thanks again

happy_fanboy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Darn thought id get lucky with one of those guesses. I was wondering if there may be a possibility that the file system on one of the partitions may be different, (NTFS/FAT32) i could see a file system conversion slowing that transfer a lot, or perhaps an antivirus agent running in the OS somewhere. Are there other systems on the network with stuff mapped to anything on your machine? And if you don't mind me asking are the problems the same in both versions of windows? Got me. Only other idea ive got is to right click and look at the advanced attributes of the file properties, see if there is any compression active as that may slow the transer down. Not sure what the 64-bit OS will have that you can click on in there either, may be worth a look. I guess your board might just be bad too but i'd have a hard time accepting that if everything else performs up to spec.

davidmf

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Darn thought id get lucky with one of those guesses. I was wondering if there may be a possibility that the file system on one of the partitions may be different, (NTFS/FAT32) i could see a file system conversion slowing that transfer a lot, or perhaps an antivirus agent running in the OS somewhere. Are there other systems on the network with stuff mapped to anything on your machine? And if you don't mind me asking are the problems the same in both versions of windows? Got me. Only other idea ive got is to right click and look at the advanced attributes of the file properties, see if there is any compression active as that may slow the transer down. Not sure what the 64-bit OS will have that you can click on in there either, may be worth a look. I guess your board might just be bad too but i'd have a hard time accepting that if everything else performs up to spec.

thanks Happy_Fanboy
i think that i found the reason.
after installing my 2 old HDDs(40GB & 80GB) in new MB, when i wanted to disconnect cable from one of hdds, the cable was seperated from its socket and was unusable. this effected on 40GB HDD. & it didnt work at all. maybe this effected on 80GB HDD that i'm using now and slowed down it.
about HITACHI SATA 250GB, it had problem. because of loud voice rised from HDD suddenly, and in windows it configured as SATA 1. so i gave it to guaranty service company. they said that the device has problem .
i wasnt lucky because of problems with two hdd!

now, im waiting for new hdd to be arrived

thanks again

Icik

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I know this is an old topic. But everythin with your hdd was ok it was just problem with dma mode reverting backo to PIO mode which has speed about 3MB/s this happend to me few time. Problem is that if theres 6 error during writin to the disk xp rollback to PIO mode for HDDs instead of one of DMA modes. Fast way to repair is to use utility here http://winhlp.com/WxDMA.htm just click on fast resolve problem and allow restenin to dma modes.

Icik

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I know this is an old topic. But everythin with your hdd was ok it was just problem with dma mode reverting backo to PIO mode which has speed about 3MB/s this happend to me few time. Problem is that if theres 6 error during writin to the disk xp rollback to PIO mode for HDDs instead of one of DMA modes. Fast way to repair is to use utility here winhlp.com/WxDMA.htm just click on fast resolve problem and allow restenin to dma modes.

EBoti

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
Hi!

I have almoust the same problem with an MSI K9N Platinum MB.
The full pc config. is:
- MSI K9N Platinum v1.3
- AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ sAM2
- 2x1GB DDR2 KingMAX - dual chanel
- MSI Ati XT1800GTO
- HDD Hitachi 250GB Sata2
- HDD Maxtor 120GB Sata1
I use windows xp sp2, + latest drivers for all devices, including AMD processor drivers and dual core optimizer patch.
The problem is also with a very low transfer rate, especially when I try to made 2 or more tasks together.
Sometime in a single task the system is preaty fast, (ex. unpacking 0.8GB rar file in less than 30s, but when I try to unpack 2 files in the same time the time are increase to 2-3 min.) And it's the same when i try to copy files from one partition to other, in one task the time it's not to bad, but when i try to make something else, even just to open a new browser, the time are increasing very much. I try to install to OS on both HDD, but to problem was same.
Before this system i had one P4 3GHz, on MSI865 Platinum, but that system was much more faster like the new one.
Can somebody give me an advise, what shell I do?