What's a good scanner software for photos?

In article <DR5Ic.88887$sj4.45511@news-server.bigpond.net.au>, "PeterH"
<reply to newsproup@NOSPAM.net> says...
> Is there as preferred scanner software for scanning photos?

There aren't many choices.
Either you use the manufacturer's scanner interface that comes with the
scanner or a third party app.
VueScan and SilverFast are the big two there.

If you mean, an application to scan INTO (via TWAIN, which still uses the
scanner interface software), there are a bazillion, from (freebies) like
IrfanView all the way to (expensive) full PhotoShop.

Mac

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 07:18:59 GMT, "PeterH" <reply to
newsproup@NOSPAM.net> wrote:

>Is there as preferred scanner software for scanning photos?

There is no preferred scanning software for scanning photos. You can
scan with whatever's handy. When it comes to photo editing though,
Adobe photoshop is considered the best for Windows. Jasc's Paintshop
pro is nearly as powerful for considerably less money.

If you're running Linux or some sort of Unix, there's the GIMP. It's
sort of the Unix/Linux equivalent to Photoshop. A version typically
comes bundled in most distros, so if you're running Linux, odds are,
you already have it.

Not sure about Mac, but as there's a Mac version of Photoshop, I'd
imagine it's photoshop.

MCheu

In article <fgt1f0l3jli2rledt7e8rc2ucfombv5ndu@4ax.com>, mpcheu@yahoo.com
says...
> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 07:18:59 GMT, "PeterH" <reply to
> newsproup@NOSPAM.net> wrote:
>
> >Is there as preferred scanner software for scanning photos?
> >

> There is no preferred scanning software for scanning photos. You can
> scan with whatever's handy. When it comes to photo editing though,
> Adobe photoshop is considered the best for Windows. Jasc's Paintshop
> pro is nearly as powerful for considerably less money.
>
> If you're running Linux or some sort of Unix, there's the GIMP. It's
> sort of the Unix/Linux equivalent to Photoshop. A version typically
> comes bundled in most distros, so if you're running Linux, odds are,
> you already have it.
>
> Not sure about Mac, but as there's a Mac version of Photoshop, I'd
> imagine it's photoshop.
>
> MCheu

Of course there is Macintosh version of Photoshop.
Add to the list the much cheaper but very powerful PhotoShop Elements,
Windows or Macintosh.

Mac

"MCheu" posted:
"...
When it comes to photo editing though,
Adobe photoshop ...
Jasc's Paintshop Pro ...

If you're running Linux or some sort of Unix, there's the GIMP ...
...."

A couple of other programs that are just as good ... and quite a bit less $$$ ... as
PhotoShop are

Picture Window Pro ... maybe even "better" for the Photographer-Set

Corel PhotoPaint

CinePaint ... a 16-bit per pixel version of The GIMP

ALL seem to handle 16-bit per pixel images quite well.