OS Partition Size?

I'm going to reinstall XP and want to set up my drive so the OS is on its
own partition, and all progs and data on another. How big should the OS
partition be at its maximum (200GB drive).
Thanks!
2 answers Last reply
More about partition size

    No set limits. You will only get opinions. Each one will be right for a
    certain individual/instance.

    My feeling is that if you are going to install ALL programs on a 2nd
    partition then 10 gig would be more than sufficient for the operating
    system. Remember, most programs will install "some" files onto the Windows
    partition, no matter where you direct the program to install to.

    For instance: AutoCad 2004 installed about 40 meg of files into the
    C:\Programs Files folder and sub folders - even though I installed the main
    program on partition D:

    --

    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "LMO" <lmo@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm going to reinstall XP and want to set up my drive so the OS is on its
    > own partition, and all progs and data on another. How big should the OS
    > partition be at its maximum (200GB drive).
    > Thanks!

    I would agree with Richard on this. Regardless of anything else, you will
    need space for mandatory \system32 file installs, the pagefile, temp files,
    etc. 10GB is a nice round figure, as you will still need to leave roughly
    15% free for defrag routines as well.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "LMO" <lmo@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I'm going to reinstall XP and want to set up my drive so the OS is on its
    > own partition, and all progs and data on another. How big should the OS
    > partition be at its maximum (200GB drive).
    > Thanks!

Partition Microsoft Windows XP