OS Partition Size?

November 28, 2004 1:12:29 AM

I'm going to reinstall XP and want to set up my drive so the OS is on its
own partition, and all progs and data on another. How big should the OS
partition be at its maximum (200GB drive).
Thanks!

More about : partition size

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:12:30 AM

No set limits. You will only get opinions. Each one will be right for a
certain individual/instance.

My feeling is that if you are going to install ALL programs on a 2nd
partition then 10 gig would be more than sufficient for the operating
system. Remember, most programs will install "some" files onto the Windows
partition, no matter where you direct the program to install to.

For instance: AutoCad 2004 installed about 40 meg of files into the
C:\Programs Files folder and sub folders - even though I installed the main
program on partition D:

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"LMO" <lmo@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm going to reinstall XP and want to set up my drive so the OS is on its
> own partition, and all progs and data on another. How big should the OS
> partition be at its maximum (200GB drive).
> Thanks!

Anonymous
November 28, 2004 1:12:30 AM

I would agree with Richard on this. Regardless of anything else, you will
need space for mandatory \system32 file installs, the pagefile, temp files,
etc. 10GB is a nice round figure, as you will still need to leave roughly
15% free for defrag routines as well.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/