whats the most supid thing you have ever done?

Gopher666

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2006
alright I need a laugh... we were all noobs at some time and probably still are so I figured we could all share some really stupid mistakes when building systems.

I will naturally go first:

in my first system I actually attached the motherboard directly to the case without using the things ( idont know what they are called) that separate the motherboard from the case.... ofcourse it didn't start and it took me 2 days to figure out what the hell I did wrong.... but nothing was burned and once I figured it out it worked perfectly.

Well, this is not technically a screw up, but one time my cousin and his 4 year old son unexpectedly stopped over while I was in the middle of an upgrade. So I decided to simply hang out with them and put my build on the side.

I was in the middle of installing a new HSF into my HTPC. I was almost done when they arrived. All I had to do was install the new heatsink that I bought and re-connect the hard drives. The PC was plugged in.

After talking for a while, Evan (my cousin's son) asked for something to drink so I went to the frig to get him some juice. All of the sudden I heard Evan fall down onto the floor (I think he tripped over his own feet), and he must have hit the power switch when he fell. Needless to say, my HTPC turned on, my naked Athlon XP 1800+ suddenly went up in a puff of smoke and that was that.

I had the sudden urge of picking up my cousin Joe and throwing him out the window for interrupting my upgrade.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
the most stupid thing would probably be dumping my fist GF...
the most stupid computer related thing would have been trying to hot swap an ide drive, the power cable arched and it was bye-bye new hard drive (40 gigs felt like a lot at that time :D )

Well I have seen someone take off the HSF to clean it, while it was on.... with water. It was my aunt who was a little krazy krazy krazy.... She burned the CPU, but I had extras, and I didnt let her reattach the HSF. What a day.