ActiveX Errors

I get Active X and Script Errors when I attempt to access QuickBooks Help,
Run Microsoft Security Analyzer, etc. The messages typically say that
security settings prohibit running ActiveX. I have tried resetting all
security settings to default and lower to no avail. Any Ideas? I have WinXP
Home with SP2.
I run Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster, Winpatrol and Trend Micro AV. I get
the same errors with all of these utilities active scanning disabled and
enabled.

When I try and debug the script error it shows error creating ActiveX
Object.

> When I try and debug the script error it shows error creating ActiveX
> Object.
> "Marc Seidler" <admin@computerdoctors.net> wrote in message
>> I get Active X and Script Errors when I attempt to access QuickBooks
>> Help, Run Microsoft Security Analyzer, etc. The messages typically
>> say that security settings prohibit running ActiveX. I have tried
>> resetting all security settings to default and lower to no avail. Any
>> Ideas? I have WinXP Home with SP2.
>> I run Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster, Winpatrol and Trend Micro AV.
>> I get the same errors with all of these utilities active scanning
>> disabled and enabled.

See Local Machine Lockdown
http://www.winxptutor.com/lmzunlock.htm
and
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2brows.mspx#XSLTsection129121120120

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Marc,

The Quick Books Help sounds like a local file, if this is the case you can
try the following, if you're cofortable editing the registry:
1st - make a backup of the registry! Click run, and type regedit into the
box, click OK. When regideit opens, click file, export and select all,
choose a filename and location, and then save. After the backup completes go
to the following 2 keys and and double-click the value 1200, then change it
to 0 (idf it is something other than 0) click OK.
1st key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0
2nd key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0

It is very important to make the backup first. It gives you a way to undo
should any unexpected errors occur afgter editing the registry.

When I had a similar problem the value in the 2nd key was 65536 (I got the
error when trying to install software for an HP iPAQ, and when Norton
AntiVirus opened for a scheduled scan. Both local files - Zone 0 is the
local zone.

I've found that it is not necessary to reboot after this change, i fact the
value may revert after a reboot. If the error occurs after reboot, regedit
will remember wher it was at its last use.

Hope this helps.
--
Robert M. Lewis
http://www.meriwethermicro.us/index.htm
"Marc Seidler" <admin@computerdoctors.net> wrote in message
> I get Active X and Script Errors when I attempt to access QuickBooks Help,
> Run Microsoft Security Analyzer, etc. The messages typically say that
> security settings prohibit running ActiveX. I have tried resetting all
> security settings to default and lower to no avail. Any Ideas? I have
WinXP
> Home with SP2.
> I run Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster, Winpatrol and Trend Micro AV. I
get
> the same errors with all of these utilities active scanning disabled and
> enabled.

Good suggestion Robert. But SP2 implements the Lockdown template, the settings for the local machine zone is stored in a different area.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Robert Lewis" <rmlewis22@verizon.net> wrote in message news:q7nqd.527$nq6.141@trndny09...
Marc,

The Quick Books Help sounds like a local file, if this is the case you can
try the following, if you're cofortable editing the registry:
1st - make a backup of the registry! Click run, and type regedit into the
box, click OK. When regideit opens, click file, export and select all,
choose a filename and location, and then save. After the backup completes go
to the following 2 keys and and double-click the value 1200, then change it
to 0 (idf it is something other than 0) click OK.
1st key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0
2nd key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0

It is very important to make the backup first. It gives you a way to undo
should any unexpected errors occur afgter editing the registry.

When I had a similar problem the value in the 2nd key was 65536 (I got the
error when trying to install software for an HP iPAQ, and when Norton
AntiVirus opened for a scheduled scan. Both local files - Zone 0 is the
local zone.

I've found that it is not necessary to reboot after this change, i fact the
value may revert after a reboot. If the error occurs after reboot, regedit
will remember wher it was at its last use.

Hope this helps.
--
Robert M. Lewis
http://www.meriwethermicro.us/index.htm
"Marc Seidler" <admin@computerdoctors.net> wrote in message
> I get Active X and Script Errors when I attempt to access QuickBooks Help,
> Run Microsoft Security Analyzer, etc. The messages typically say that
> security settings prohibit running ActiveX. I have tried resetting all
> security settings to default and lower to no avail. Any Ideas? I have
WinXP
> Home with SP2.
> I run Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster, Winpatrol and Trend Micro AV. I
get
> the same errors with all of these utilities active scanning disabled and
> enabled.

Sorry to say I tried all recommendation, but still it will not run. I do
get a different error message now that a runtime error has occurred and do I
wish to debug and it shows the error on the create Active X Object as
before.
Good suggestion Robert. But SP2 implements the Lockdown template, the
settings for the local machine zone is stored in a different area.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Robert Lewis" <rmlewis22@verizon.net> wrote in message
Marc,

The Quick Books Help sounds like a local file, if this is the case you can
try the following, if you're cofortable editing the registry:
1st - make a backup of the registry! Click run, and type regedit into the
box, click OK. When regideit opens, click file, export and select all,
choose a filename and location, and then save. After the backup completes go
to the following 2 keys and and double-click the value 1200, then change it
to 0 (idf it is something other than 0) click OK.
1st key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0
2nd key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0

It is very important to make the backup first. It gives you a way to undo
should any unexpected errors occur afgter editing the registry.

When I had a similar problem the value in the 2nd key was 65536 (I got the
error when trying to install software for an HP iPAQ, and when Norton
AntiVirus opened for a scheduled scan. Both local files - Zone 0 is the
local zone.

I've found that it is not necessary to reboot after this change, i fact the
value may revert after a reboot. If the error occurs after reboot, regedit
will remember wher it was at its last use.

Hope this helps.
--
Robert M. Lewis
http://www.meriwethermicro.us/index.htm
"Marc Seidler" <admin@computerdoctors.net> wrote in message
> I get Active X and Script Errors when I attempt to access QuickBooks Help,
> Run Microsoft Security Analyzer, etc. The messages typically say that
> security settings prohibit running ActiveX. I have tried resetting all
> security settings to default and lower to no avail. Any Ideas? I have
WinXP
> Home with SP2.
> I run Adaware, Spybot, Spywareblaster, Winpatrol and Trend Micro AV. I
get
> the same errors with all of these utilities active scanning disabled and
> enabled.

Hi Marc,

If the problem is seen only in QuickBooks help files, try contacting intuit tech support:
http://www.intuit.com/support/

Help & Support Home Page:
http://www.quickbooks.com/support/

--