Canon N1240U produces nice image quality but is too slow! ..

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 11, 2004 7:02:04 PM

My CanoScan N1240U scanner, set to "Color(Documents)" and 300dpi, takes 3.5
minutes (210 seconds) to scan one page of PC World Magazine (actually page
175 of the July 2004 issue). The resulting image quality, a PDF file, is
just fine, but the time to scan this images is more than I care to wait.
What image quality and scan time for this sort of scan can I expect of the
"new" CanoScan Lide 50?

The 1.1MB PDF version of the scanned page can be downloaded at

http://tinyurl.com/2nh7e

The much smaller JPG version can be viewed at

http://tinyurl.com/2r5ja

In any case, the quality of the scanned image is fine for my purposes, I'm
just attempting to cut the scan time down from 3.5 minutes to perhaps 60
seconds or even less. Will the CanoScan Lide 50 do this, will the Epson 1670
scanner do this? If not, what scanner will?

BTW, I'm measuring time to scan from the moment I click the scan button
until the time my scanner stops making any noise.

--

Regards,

Peter Sale

Santa Monica, CA USA

To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 9:32:52 AM

Canon LiDE80 or other USB2.0 scanner - provided, of course, you have USB2.0
ports.
www.coribright.com

"Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message
> My CanoScan N1240U scanner, set to "Color(Documents)" and 300dpi, takes
> 3.5
> minutes (210 seconds) to scan one page of PC World Magazine (actually page
> 175 of the July 2004 issue). The resulting image quality, a PDF file, is
> just fine, but the time to scan this images is more than I care to wait.
> What image quality and scan time for this sort of scan can I expect of the
> "new" CanoScan Lide 50?
>
> The 1.1MB PDF version of the scanned page can be downloaded at
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2nh7e
>
> The much smaller JPG version can be viewed at
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2r5ja
>
> In any case, the quality of the scanned image is fine for my purposes, I'm
> just attempting to cut the scan time down from 3.5 minutes to perhaps 60
> seconds or even less. Will the CanoScan Lide 50 do this, will the Epson
> 1670
> scanner do this? If not, what scanner will?
>
> BTW, I'm measuring time to scan from the moment I click the scan button
> until the time my scanner stops making any noise.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter Sale
>
> Santa Monica, CA USA
>
> To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 9:32:53 AM

Hi Cari,
Yes, I do have 4 USB 2.0 ports on my 1.6GHz P4 notebook. So, are you saying
the Canon LiDE80 will do the scan I described below in under 60 seconds?

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

"Cari" wrote ...
---------------------------
> "Peter Sale" wrote...
> > My CanoScan N1240U scanner, set to "Color(Documents)" and 300dpi, takes
> > 3.5
> > minutes (210 seconds) to scan one page of PC World Magazine (actually
page
> > 175 of the July 2004 issue). The resulting image quality, a PDF file, is
> > just fine, but the time to scan this images is more than I care to wait.
> > What image quality and scan time for this sort of scan can I expect of
the
> > "new" CanoScan Lide 50?
> >
> > The 1.1MB PDF version of the scanned page can be downloaded at
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2nh7e
> >
> > The much smaller JPG version can be viewed at
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2r5ja
> >
> > In any case, the quality of the scanned image is fine for my purposes,
I'm
> > just attempting to cut the scan time down from 3.5 minutes to perhaps 60
> > seconds or even less. Will the CanoScan Lide 50 do this, will the Epson
> > 1670
> > scanner do this? If not, what scanner will?
> >
> > BTW, I'm measuring time to scan from the moment I click the scan button
> > until the time my scanner stops making any noise.

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 6:40:03 PM

Just for curiosity I timed a 300 DPI color scan of a 8.5" X 11" magazine
cover on my SCSI AcerScan 620ST 600 dpi scanner.

The final scan, not including the preview scan was 48.4 seconds on a AMD
2000+ based Windows XP Home machine with 512 MB of ram.

If your scanner takes 3.5 minutes to scan a letter size document in color at
300 dpi, then your scanner and computer are SLOW.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> Hi Cari,
> Yes, I do have 4 USB 2.0 ports on my 1.6GHz P4 notebook. So, are you
saying
> the Canon LiDE80 will do the scan I described below in under 60 seconds?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Peter Sale
> Santa Monica, CA USA
> To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
>
> "Cari" wrote ...
> > Canon LiDE80 or other USB2.0 scanner - provided, of course, you have
> USB2.0
> > ports.
> > --
> > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > www.coribright.com
> ---------------------------
> > "Peter Sale" wrote...
> > > My CanoScan N1240U scanner, set to "Color(Documents)" and 300dpi,
takes
> > > 3.5
> > > minutes (210 seconds) to scan one page of PC World Magazine (actually
> page
> > > 175 of the July 2004 issue). The resulting image quality, a PDF file,
is
> > > just fine, but the time to scan this images is more than I care to
wait.
> > > What image quality and scan time for this sort of scan can I expect of
> the
> > > "new" CanoScan Lide 50?
> > >
> > > The 1.1MB PDF version of the scanned page can be downloaded at
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/2nh7e
> > >
> > > The much smaller JPG version can be viewed at
> > >
> > > http://tinyurl.com/2r5ja
> > >
> > > In any case, the quality of the scanned image is fine for my purposes,
> I'm
> > > just attempting to cut the scan time down from 3.5 minutes to perhaps
60
> > > seconds or even less. Will the CanoScan Lide 50 do this, will the
Epson
> > > 1670
> > > scanner do this? If not, what scanner will?
> > >
> > > BTW, I'm measuring time to scan from the moment I click the scan
button
> > > until the time my scanner stops making any noise.

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 6:40:04 PM

I'm running my CanoScan N1240U scanner on my 1.6GHz P4 Notebook with 1 GB
ram, 40GB disk drive, and 4 USB 2.0 ports. And I'm wanting to replace it
with a current, and hopefully faster, USB 2.0 flatbed scanner. The image I
scanned can be viewed at http://tinyurl.com/2r5ja. Since hearing from Cari,
I'm thinking that maybe a Canon LiDE80 "might" also perform that same scan
in around 60 seconds. I would be very happy with that speed from a USB 2.0
scanner.
--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

"CSM1" wrote ...
> Just for curiosity I timed a 300 DPI color scan of a 8.5" X 11" magazine
> cover on my SCSI AcerScan 620ST 600 dpi scanner.
>
> The final scan, not including the preview scan was 48.4 seconds on a AMD
> 2000+ based Windows XP Home machine with 512 MB of ram.
>
> If your scanner takes 3.5 minutes to scan a letter size document in color
at
> 300 dpi, then your scanner and computer are SLOW.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com
> --
> "Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Cari,
> > Yes, I do have 4 USB 2.0 ports on my 1.6GHz P4 notebook. So, are you
> saying
> > the Canon LiDE80 will do the scan I described below in under 60 seconds?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Peter Sale
> > Santa Monica, CA USA
> > To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'
> >
> > "Cari" wrote ...
> > > Canon LiDE80 or other USB2.0 scanner - provided, of course, you have
> > USB2.0
> > > ports.
> > > --
> > > Cari (MS-MVP Windows Client - Printing, Imaging & Hardware)
> > > www.coribright.com
> > ---------------------------
> > > "Peter Sale" wrote...
> takes
> > page
> is
> wait.
> > the

> > I'm
> 60
> Epson

> button

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 7:17:52 PM

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:40:03 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
wrote:

>Just for curiosity I timed a 300 DPI color scan of a 8.5" X 11" magazine
>cover on my SCSI AcerScan 620ST 600 dpi scanner.
>
>The final scan, not including the preview scan was 48.4 seconds on a AMD
>2000+ based Windows XP Home machine with 512 MB of ram.
>
>If your scanner takes 3.5 minutes to scan a letter size document in color at
>300 dpi, then your scanner and computer are SLOW.
>
>--
>CSM1
>http://www.carlmcmillan.com

CSM is correct, it is rather slow for 300dpi. If this were a parallel
port scanner, that might be a reasonable speed, however, I see from
the specs that the 1240U is a USB scanner. Even running at USB1.1
speeds, this thing should scan considerably quicker than that.

Are there any filtering options enabled (moire correction for example)
in the twain software? I find that tends to add considerably more
time to it as the image has to be reprocessed before being passed to
the editing software.

If you've enabled some moire correction, softening, sharpening,
whatever filtering options in the twain interface, disable that and
see if that brings it to a more reasonable speed.

MCheu
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 7:17:53 PM

Hi MCheu,
You pin pointed the reason for my slow scans. I had both unsharp and moiré
correction enabled. Once I turned off those two filters, my scan completed
in 65 seconds flat. I would still like an even faster scanner than my
N1240U with at least the same quality I'm getting from my it. "Cari" seems
to feel the LiDE 80 might be the way to go. But now we're looking a
difference in speed of 37 seconds vs. 65 seconds between the LiDE 80 scanner
and my N1240U scanner. In my opinion, that is performance difference worth
paying for.

Because my old HP DeskJet 970Cse is on its last legs, I'm now torn between
purchasing a Canon LiDE 80 scanner (and new printer) or a Canon MP730
Multifunction fax/scan/copy machine/printer. Any informed opinions would be
appreciated.

--
Regards,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

"MCheu" wrote ...
<snip>

> CSM is correct, it is rather slow for 300dpi. If this were a parallel
> port scanner, that might be a reasonable speed, however, I see from
> the specs that the 1240U is a USB scanner. Even running at USB1.1
> speeds, this thing should scan considerably quicker than that.
>
> Are there any filtering options enabled (moire correction for example)
> in the twain software? I find that tends to add considerably more
> time to it as the image has to be reprocessed before being passed to
> the editing software.
>
> If you've enabled some moire correction, softening, sharpening,
> whatever filtering options in the twain interface, disable that and
> see if that brings it to a more reasonable speed.
>
> MCheu
Anonymous
July 12, 2004 10:32:45 PM

LiDE 80, USB2.0, 1Gb RAM, P4 2.0, Don't have PC World so used MSDN Magazine,
at 300dpi in Color (Documents) took 37 seconds.

--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Peter Sale" <psale@adelphia.my-leg.net> wrote in message
> My CanoScan N1240U scanner, set to "Color(Documents)" and 300dpi, takes
> 3.5
> minutes (210 seconds) to scan one page of PC World Magazine (actually page
> 175 of the July 2004 issue). The resulting image quality, a PDF file, is
> just fine, but the time to scan this images is more than I care to wait.
> What image quality and scan time for this sort of scan can I expect of the
> "new" CanoScan Lide 50?
>
> The 1.1MB PDF version of the scanned page can be downloaded at
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2nh7e
>
> The much smaller JPG version can be viewed at
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2r5ja
>
> In any case, the quality of the scanned image is fine for my purposes, I'm
> just attempting to cut the scan time down from 3.5 minutes to perhaps 60
> seconds or even less. Will the CanoScan Lide 50 do this, will the Epson
> 1670
> scanner do this? If not, what scanner will?
>
> BTW, I'm measuring time to scan from the moment I click the scan button
> until the time my scanner stops making any noise.
>
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Peter Sale
>
> Santa Monica, CA USA
>
> To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

Anonymous
July 12, 2004 10:32:46 PM

Now that's what I call fast scanning! I presume the image quality of your
scan to be at least as good as that of my N1240U, http://tinyurl.com/2r5ja ?
If your answer is "yes", then I will be selling off my N1240U scanner and
purchasing an LiDE 80 later this week.

> > BTW, I'm measuring time to complete my scan from the moment I click the
>> scan button until the time my scanner stops making any noise.
--
Many Thanks,

Peter Sale
Santa Monica, CA USA
To email me, just pull 'my-leg.'

"Cari" wrote...
> LiDE 80, USB2.0, 1Gb RAM, P4 2.0, Don't have PC World so used MSDN
Magazine,
> at 300dpi in Color (Documents) took 37 seconds.
>
> --
> Cari
> MS-MVP Windows Technologies - Printing/Imaging/Hardware
> www.coribright.com
>

> "Peter Sale" wrote ...
> > My CanoScan N1240U scanner, set to "Color(Documents)" and 300dpi, takes
> > 3.5 minutes (210 seconds) to scan one page of PC World Magazine
(actually page
> > 175 of the July 2004 issue). The resulting image quality, a PDF file, is
> > just fine, but the time to scan this images is more than I care to wait.
> > What image quality and scan time for this sort of scan can I expect of
the
> > "new" CanoScan Lide 50?
> >
> > The 1.1MB PDF version of the scanned page can be downloaded at
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2nh7e
> >
> > The much smaller JPG version can be viewed at
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2r5ja
> >
> > In any case, the quality of the scanned image is fine for my purposes,
I'm
> > just attempting to cut the scan time down from 3.5 minutes to perhaps 60
> > seconds or even less. Will the CanoScan Lide 50 do this, will the Epson
> > 1670
> > scanner do this? If not, what scanner will?
> >
> > BTW, I'm measuring time to scan from the moment I click the scan button
> > until the time my scanner stops making any noise.
Anonymous
July 13, 2004 9:08:23 PM

Scanned at 300dpi in Letter size using Color (Documents).... via the
PhotoStudio application that comes with it.... Saved as a jpg (but it's
10.5mb as I didn't do anything else to it).... (2536 x 3192 pixels)

www.loyalangels.com/files/test.jpg

I'm certainly very impressed with it, beats the hell out of the 1220U which
takes forever and now happily resides on hubby's PC even though he hasn't a
clue how it works! I got it because it has an adapter to scan
transparencies - both negatives and positives - and I get 35mm film trailers
from EBay... it's really nice to be able to make great jpgs from them. I
haven't really played about with its 48-bit capabilities... but I've done
some scans at the highest 1200dpi and although they're huge files, they look
beautiful when printed on a photo printer.

The only downside.... on an XP Pro PC I cannot get the ScanGear Toolbox to
work correctly with it, I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've
tried. I gave up. Or should that be surrendered! I don't use PhotoStudio
for editing, I use good old PhotoDraw v2. But in the case of test.jpg, it
hasn't had anything done to it at all.
--

!