DFI motherboards and heat pipes

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
Because of the layout of different boards, EPoX and DFi for example, the heatpiple part of the heatsink could be either up or down on the DFi or left or right on the EPox and other traditional boards.

I thought I read a few years ago that the heatpipe should not be up or down... is it OK to be oriented either way?

I don't think it would make that much difference, unless it interferes with a card installation. The heat has to go somewhere. I would be more concerned with the airflow direction in your case.

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Some heatpipes do not work correctly in a different orientation. Remember, there is liquid inside a heatpipe. It may not flow correctly when turned against it's "stock" direction.

~Ibrahim~

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I just got my Thurmalright XP-90c in the mail, and I cannor find anything about orientation on this sucker. I was fairly sure my Thrumalright SP-97 had to point either left or right.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Remember, there is liquid inside a heatpipe. It may not flow correctly when turned against it's "stock" direction.

Unless it's sintered powder, which is better
http://tinyurl.com/y399oz
Sintered powder metal wicks are the more costly as a rule and offer several advantages over other wick structure including that a sintered powder wick can work in any orientation, even against gravity.

All the following heatsinks use sintered powder in the heatpipes making them some of the more effective heatsinks
http://tinyurl.com/yxdfcn

..Not in all cases, I mean, the ninja and infinity still beat these :), but Sintered could make them even more effective, but then they would cost even more.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Its not that they wont work, but theyre optimized for a certain direction. HSF with heatpipes are optimized to work horizontally and maybe a one or two degrees improovement if the fan is placed in the right side (the Infinity i.e).

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Correct, but there are two things to keep in mind.

Choice 1) Just focus on keeping the processor cool, nothing else:
Some hsf are made to blow the air trough the fan at the back of the case or throgh the fan at the bottom of your psu.
-OR-
Choice 2) Keep the processor cool as well as the surrounding components:
Some hsf are made to blow directly onto the processor and the surrounding components to keep things cool.
-Take for instance the Silverstone Nitrogen NTO6
http://tinyurl.com/ymawq5

The SilverStone Nitrogon NT06 was designed and created with one single purpose, to cool the hottest CPUs in the world.

To achieve this goal, the original Nitrogon NT01 was brought back onto the drawing board and modified with more than twice the surface area to significantly increase heat-absorbing performance.

A new “FM122” 120 x 32mm fan with a powerful air pressure rating is then used to provide forced-air heat dissipation with the ability to cool components around the CPU area. Careful planning and bending of the thick sintered powder heat pipes ensures that the NT06 can fit on almost any motherboard and in almost any case.

For all out CPU cooling performance without compatibility problems, the Nitrogon NT06 is truly the ultimate solution.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
uuuh thanks, a new HSF that looks promising *will do some research*

Yeah but some of them might be taxed on the actual CPU performance to provide cooling to the other stuff.
Look at the Scythe Ninja and Inifity, with their stock fan theyre pretty much the same thing at both case and CPU temps. But when theyre paired with a FM121, the Ninja has better case temps and the Inifinity much better CPU ones.
The fact that the Ninja is designed for low air current enviroment has also alot to do here, so dont take me too seriously.