Network Encryption question

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Hi all,

I am trying to secure my wireless network. I am allowing only PCs with certain MAC addresses to access the network. I also disabled the SSID and I am trying to enable encryption.

Regarding encryption, In the router setup I am using WEP because the wireless card doesn’t use WAP. When I type a passphrase and click the generate button. I get 4 different encryptions keys in box 1, 2,, 3 and 4. Now on the PC with the wireless card, which do I enter? My wireless PC isn’t picking up my wireless connection.

Please, if someone could help me out, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

zwischenzug

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
What router are you using? If it's a Linksys router there's a default transmit key option there (1,2,3,4). If 1 is selected then you should use key 1.

silentdream

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
I am using a linksys router. When I generate a passphrase, there are "******" in all the keys. So you are saying I should take what's in key 1 and copy that information into the key 1 box on the computer with the wireless card?

Ap0kalyps3

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
If im not mistaken you chose either 64bit WEP or 128bit WEP (Im told they vary from router to router), select one, then create your passphrase. Once thats done enter these settings into your PC'S NIC software, and you should be up.

aias

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
if you're having a hard time creating a security on your network .. you can just set it to wep 64 bits make sure that the default transmit key is set to 1, leave the passphrase blank and under key just under key you can enter 10 characters instead of entering a passphrase to generate a network key (key 1, key 2, key 3, key 4) ..