Anyone purchased through CyberPowerPC.com?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Cyberpower
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
October 12, 2006 9:16:02 PM

Hi guys, just wanting to see if anyone has had any experience ordering through CyberPower. It seems to be by far the best site I've found for ordering custom rigs. I'd love to have a new Alienware, but just too expensive, and no one else can come close to Cyberpower prices.

What I'm looking at is this:
X-Blade mid tower w/ 450W PS
Abit P5N-SLI MoBo
E6300 Core 2 Duo - Liquid Cooled
7900GT
2X80 GB 7200 HDs in Raid 0
2X512 Corsair PC6400 DDR2/800
Rig is around $1050 after discount and has free shipping. Could build it myself for around the $900 range through Newegg, Mwave, etc., but not worth the hastle for a $100 or so more.

Was also considering the Athlon X2 4200+ for about $100 less. Problem with deciding onthe AMD is there sems to be a couple of different models. (At least according to the new CPU guide.) And I can't tell on CyberPower's website which one it is.

As you can tell by my name, I've always been a bit AMD fan, but had pretty much decided on the E6300 till I did a little too much looking around.

My PC is used about 90% for gaming. I play Everquest, Planetside, WoW, old school Tribes2 and UT. Planetside is unbearable on my old AMD 2200+ with a 9500 Pro in close combat with a crowd. Can't OC my current rig any more for some reason, just won't run stable anymore. Haven't tried to OC my 9500 Pro, but at this point, it's time for a new rig.

Sorry for all the extra info as I tend to ramble. Main thing is about CyberPower and any experience anyone may have.

Thanks!

More about : purchased cyberpowerpc

October 13, 2006 1:33:23 AM

AMDThunder,

In August of 2004, I bought a rig from Cyberpower thinking I was getting a great deal. Like you, I thought that the low price + a little extra for them to build it was worth my time. I was wrong. When I got the machine, the first thing I noticed was the terrible cable management inside. In fact, it was so bad that one of the hard drives wasn't even connected to the PSU.

After straightening things up a bit, I booted the thing up and began to install XP. Shortly after getting the O/S installed, the system shutdown unexpectedly and then refused to POST.

I promptly got a RMA and requested a full refund. The good thing was that they didn't give me any hassle over the shoddy workmanship and DOA part(s).

Then, I went to Newegg, pieced together my system, got the parts and built it without a hitch.

I'm about to upgrade to a new rig. But as of now, I'm using the same PC, and have been very happy with it.

As with everything YMMV. This was my only experience with them, but it left a bad first impression.

Best of luck in your upgrading efforts!
October 13, 2006 2:32:55 AM

I bought a Cyberpower last winter and overall have been pleased with it. The wiring on mine was done well enough that it was almost as good as on my old Alienware. There were a couple initial problems, but Cyberpower got them fixed without any great hastle and the machine has been flawless since.

One thing I noticed was that when ordering an upgrade part, they charged to same as I could buy it at Newegg, so there was no real advantage to the upgrade except that it was preinstalled. A thing you might consider, for instance, is buying the standard video card from Cyberpower and then buying a separate upgrade for Newegg at the same price that Cyberpower would charge. Sure, then you have two videocards, but you could sell what Cyberpower put in and have some extra money to play with. That's basically what I did.

One thing I would recommend is to get a bigger, better, power supply. The standard psu is not the best. I'd also go for an AM2 cpu myself, but that's cause I like AMD and they have a new cpu coming out soon that should challenge the Core 2 duo. Might consider the ASUS Crosshair mobo at the same time.
October 13, 2006 4:10:40 AM

So 1 for and 1 against. :? Hopefully I'll get more replies to go with these 2. And thanks for the input.

PSU will depend on the case I guess. Think I'm gonna get the X-Blade with the 450W PS. I haven't read up a ton on exactly what I need, but it seems the PSU with the case is sufficient for what I'm looking at getting. I'm starting to lean more towards the X2 4200+. It's cheaper and for what I'm using the PC for, I don't think I'll really notice a difference.

As for the vid card, it's $221 for the 7900GT. (Was $177 to upgrade, but -$221 for no vid card at all) Don't think I can find one cheaper right now. Think they're running a special on it.

Thanks again.
October 13, 2006 4:40:31 AM

Couple years ago, I bought a computer from Cyberpower PC. It works out perfect for me, but the motherboard failed after 9 months, and they sent me a new board. Overall I am pretty satisifed with them. The cable management was not bad.

I don't like their board because it's Evga, which is picky on rams.
October 13, 2006 5:02:27 AM

I bought 3 Media Centers from them a couple of years back - the quality of the builds was good and they performed well considering MCE was in its infancy back then but I did find it difficult to get their tech support on the line the couple of times I needed to speak with them.
October 13, 2006 5:32:21 AM

A couple of years ago my son purchased a computer from them. Boots up fast, well, faster than my HP or my home built or my emachine laptop. We're not techies, just users. And it's been well used. No problems with it. My son just purchased another pc from them. I believe it's a dual core with a pretty good vid card (sorry forgot specs). Only complaint with it is that when playing NWN, the guys just teleport from place to place. He has to be the server to load up the system a bit in order to make it playable for him.

Alot of guys here are what I would call power users and really know their stuff. I just built a couple of machines, perform simple vid card upgrades and such as that. So I really don't pay attention to cable routing (maybe I should start). I just know that when the power button is pushed, the cyberpower pc is ready to go.

Happy gaming!
October 13, 2006 6:39:08 AM

i was about to purchase from cyberpower as well (well next year)

but in the "hardware to avoid" thread i saw someone had written "anything from cyberpower", so I PMed the guy, he wrote back

"From: mpohl727
To: parge
Subject: definitely stay away from the CyberPower Turn flag ON Quote message
yea...totally bad experience. I tried getting it up and running after it was DOA....no luck....

from build date to ship date was approx 24 hours. (not the 72 hour burn in they claim....)

called them repeatedly and he actually got laughed at for threatening with the BBB (better business bureau)

here's the link to the BBB with customer issues and whatnot.

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyRepor...

Just wanted to warn you....you will be disappointed in their product...and at the very least their customer service"

Now I am not sure what to do, because they are very cheap, and have a good selection of customisation options, but if you get a computer thats DOA then thats no good at all.

If Its cheaper to build it myself I will, but its hard to tell!
October 13, 2006 12:15:20 PM

Quote:
46% of cyberpower owners had at least one problem" - thats an aweful statistic!!

If you build it yourself you might have more than one problem but you will know more about your PC and how to fix it when something goes wrong.
October 13, 2006 1:22:40 PM

Quote:
46% of cyberpower owners had at least one problem" - thats an aweful statistic!!

If you build it yourself you might have more than one problem but you will know more about your PC and how to fix it when something goes wrong.

quite, and isnt the real point that i wont have paid someone else a load of money to build a broken pc
October 13, 2006 3:20:42 PM

/sigh So mixed results. What I should have expected I guess. If you dig into those PCWorld articles a bit, the winners were listed as None, with 2 losers, one being CyberPower. But if there were no winners, might as well take a shot with the cheap guys though, right? I'd always heard Alienware was the way to go, but they didn't even make the winner's circle, and damn they're expensive. But they do allow you to finance which is a bonus so I don't have to fork over 1-2 grand immediately.

Thanks for the responses. If anyone has a recomendation, I'm all ears.
October 13, 2006 6:13:58 PM

I've been looking at Cyberpowersystem.co.uk.

These may be connected with or owned by Cyberpowerpc.com (CyberPower Inc) but they seem to have better reviews!

Would be great to hear about any Cyberpowersystem.co.uk experiences.

Cheers.
October 17, 2006 8:21:29 PM

I'm in the same boat. Thank god I found this post.

I ordered two PCs last night from CyberPowerPC because I calculated that I will only save about $300 if I order the parts individually and build it myself.

This morning, I received a call informing me that the video card I've ordered is not available. The rep also indicated that it will take at least 10 days to build my PCs. I decided to switch to another video card, but the sales representative would not tell me the brand. I explained to him that video card brands can differ in memory speed and GPU speed even if the chipset and memory size are the same. He kept interrupting me in a LOUD voice saying "We do NOT guarantee video card brands".

So I asked if he knew what the brand is for the current batch of cards he has, but the sale rep kept on repeating the same statement over and over again, in a rather rude and frustrated tone of voice (at this point, I'm sure he's having a bad day at the office). I then proceeded to ask if there are any other PC components which may change that I should know about. He did not answer my question, but he just rudely repeated the statement "We do NOT guarantee video card brands! Do you understand?" Yes, I NOW understand. Not only did he not understand my concern and last question, he was rude.

After this morning's incident, I decided to play it safe by doing a search on CyberPowerPC. I cancelled my order as I have read enough bad reviews about them.

Anyone have a good recommendation for two PCs?
March 16, 2013 9:03:17 AM

my pc works fine i was regretting buying it after reading reviews but now that i have it i think you shouldnt believe stuff on the internet. simple solution if something goes wrong buy a warrenty with your pc BAM done
April 1, 2013 10:51:11 AM

Well, I just attempted to purchase from them. I got on their web site three times. Built up a 'Black Pearl' machine, lots of bells and whistles, about a $5,000 machine when all done. Unfortunately their web site did not save my config or email it to me either time, annoying. Luckily the third time I printed the config.

Then I phoned pre-sales with my printout and notes, questions to ask, etc. I'll note that I am a computer professional by trade, not exactly a noob. I had good reasonable questions, like if it's liquid cooled what does a fan upgrade do for me. Easy, reasonable type questions.

The pre-sales guy was slightly English challenged, OK we're all used to that it just makes things a little more difficult. But, he was also arrogant and condescending. All he would tell me is to build the system I wanted. He did not address a single technical question I had.

A guy is ready to drop $5K and can't get a straight answer? WTF?

I ended up requesting a new pre-sales guy, I asked politely. He refused, started mumbling something. I told him he could choose between giving me to someone else or loose a sale. Well, he lost the sale.

What idiots. If the first contact goes like that they will never get my business. With the web site 'build it' configuration options they have it is reasonable to expect to get a knowledgeable pre-sales guy on the phone. Their web site looks like they know what they are doing, the morons who answer the phone destroyed that in no time. Sheesh

Too busy working to go the build it myself route. There's other places to look fortunately.
April 16, 2013 6:02:22 AM

beerpilot said:
[...]

Post the config? Sounds like a fun build. And let us know where you end up getting it and how it works out -- sounds very relevant to this thread and would be helpful, if you don't mind.
April 30, 2013 2:46:39 PM

I have 3 or 4 from cyberpower 2 here running now and my sone has one and bought my mom one also.
We also have an older on from when the 680is were new and it still runs fine for a media center pc that we retired it to.
The answer is most of the time they are fine 80% of the issues that happen are when people build one out through them get all the nice parts they want then skimp out on the power supply.
As with any company they will build what you specify.
If you bought all the parts from newegg lets say and bought a shitty supply to run it who would you blame then.
Just because you are having another company build it you still have to do the research for all the parts you choose to put into it.
You have to remember also these guys are on a 9-5 or what ever job and are not engineers.
I have never had an issue my self but your millage may vary. I researched every part that i wanted and made sure of compatability..
I also have a dell laptop from work that i had a few issues with most companys have a list that their people go down when you call them.
Usually you have to escalate it some to get some one knows whats what. As for cyber power its like all companys some times you get a good person to talk to some times not.
I called to verify each piece that I had on my order. And as for them not guaranteeing a brand well if you choose generic thats what you get what ever they have coming in next. There are options to get certain brands i know I had a choice of msi or evga for a few dollars above the generic.
I chose evga because they have excellent support and warranty. Every time i have ordered i always get all the original boxes and the paper work.
The boxes are broken down flat but you can still get the upc from them.
Also you can go through and register all the parts with the companies as these are off the shelf parts nor specifically made for any one.then if say your video dies you just call evga or msi or who ever.
Like i said every company has mixed reviews and your experience may vary.
But 1 rule to follow never get xtreme gear or cyberpower branded parts go for first tier name brand parts.
The power supply is the heart of the system never skimp on it..
I have built several of my own systems also before but now that I have less time with work and other things I order from cyber power check it when it arrives make sure everything is where it is supposed to be seated attached what ever.take pictures while opening the boxes and setting things up.
remember most of this stuff is shipped by truck and handled by people who don't care what it is, shipping is very hard on PCs
Biggest issue i ever had with them was i ordered extra case fans in one and they were not there I called told them the issue and they over nighted my fans.

!