Sign in with
Your question

UT game studdering with OC of the E6600

Last response: in Overclocking
October 12, 2006 9:43:37 PM

Hi Guys... new to this forum. Hoping you can help. I am having a weird issue, when I OC my E6600, even just slightly, to say 2.8GHz, I get this crazy studdering in Unreal Tournament 99. Every 20 seconds or so... it will studder for about 4 seconds... then go back to normal. It doesn't happen with UT2004 though... weird. Those are the only two games I play, so I couldn't test any others. I use Open GL, but I even tried Direct3d, and no change. System specs are below. Any ideas? Temps are fine... I'd hate to not OC this great processor for this one darned game. Could it just be too much bleeding edge technology for such an old game?

Edit: I forgot to mention... I OC through NTune

Dell XPS 700 Formula Red
E6600
Quad SLI (dual 7950GX2)
Aegia PhysX card
2GB DDR-667
320GB SATA
1KW PS
Nvidia 590SLI hybrid chipset

More about : game studdering e6600

a c 136 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 12, 2006 9:54:33 PM

Set the affinity of the game to only run one one core. I had to do that with my UT G.O.T.Y. edition; I haven't tried it with UT 2004 yet.
October 12, 2006 10:05:23 PM

Putting on 1 core probably will do the trick.

My question though, why spend $4000 on a Dell to use for UT games? They run great on a 6600GT and Athlon 2500+...
Related resources
October 12, 2006 10:17:58 PM

Do you know where I'd set the affinity for that one game only? Sorry if that's noobish... I know how to set AA/AF for specific games, but not CPU cores. :(  Strange thing though... when not overclocked... even when running on both cores... smooth as silk. :?:

Oh... and about all the horsepower... its alllll for UT07. :o 
October 12, 2006 10:29:07 PM

question question!!!!!
y do v need dual core for UT 99?????man what FPS difference do you get?????
October 12, 2006 10:49:42 PM

Didn't buy the rig for UT99, but its a game I still enjoy playing. Never compared the FPS between this and my last rig, a Shuttle SN26p with an FX-60. The FX-60 did run much better than my FX-55 though... although I moved to SLI at the same time with that Shuttle. Sorry to get off topic, but wanted to answer his question.
October 12, 2006 11:10:05 PM

PHEW! close one. I thought you were talking about watching the UT-OU game on a computer. The horns did okay. Course I'm an Aggie, so THE game is yet to be played.

beatthehellouttatu

WHOOOOP!
October 13, 2006 12:10:24 AM

Buckeyes Aye, excitement is in the air here. Can't help but root for the Mountaineers though.....
October 13, 2006 12:32:49 AM

Don't mean to be rude, but please don't use my OC'ing help thread to talk about your sports teams. I get an email every time you guys want to "root" for your home team.

Thank you.
October 13, 2006 12:50:22 AM

right click on the ut process name on the processes tab in task manager click the set affinity option and just simply deselect every cpu there except for the top one. that basically tells it to run only on that processor. there are also tons of little shareware apps for setting affinity as well and possibly even a command to append to the end of the shortcut to do it although im not sure about that. There is also a thread here that is helpful and detailed:

http://forums.firingsquad.com/firingsquad/board/message...
October 13, 2006 1:08:11 AM

HOLY CRAP. I didn't think I was that much of a noob...but that's one thing I never knew about. Thanks escrot... :) 
October 13, 2006 2:22:06 AM

OSU ftw :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
October 13, 2006 2:30:33 AM

well... I must have mistaken this forum for a helpful group of people that can offer opinions on tough hardware/software issues. I've had two helpful comments, and 4 jacka$$ football comments.

Sorry I disturbed your forum... I'll keep looking for a group that is willing to help. Thx escrot and jtt for your suggestions.
October 13, 2006 2:47:27 AM

Quote:
well... I must have mistaken this forum for a helpful group of people that can offer opinions on tough hardware/software issues. I've had two helpful comments, and 4 jacka$$ football comments.

Sorry I disturbed your forum... I'll keep looking for a group that is willing to help. Thx escrot and jtt for your suggestions.

no sir, I apologize. sorry. rio, don't mistake this very good forum based on a few jerks like me pullin punches for a laff or two.

This is a good forum for troubleshootin, tech questions, etc.

I deserve the thrashing.

:?
October 13, 2006 4:41:32 AM

Quote:
Hi Guys... new to this forum. Hoping you can help. I am having a weird issue, when I OC my E6600, even just slightly, to say 2.8GHz, I get this crazy studdering in Unreal Tournament 99. Every 20 seconds or so... it will studder for about 4 seconds... then go back to normal. It doesn't happen with UT2004 though... weird. Those are the only two games I play, so I couldn't test any others. I use Open GL, but I even tried Direct3d, and no change. System specs are below. Any ideas? Temps are fine... I'd hate to not OC this great processor for this one darned game. Could it just be too much bleeding edge technology for such an old game?

Edit: I forgot to mention... I OC through NTune

Dell XPS 700 Formula Red
E6600
Quad SLI (dual 7950GX2)
Aegia PhysX card
2GB DDR-667
320GB SATA
1KW PS
Nvidia 590SLI hybrid chipset

Have you overclocked your gpus? keep your gpus at stock speed and see if helps.
October 17, 2006 2:18:35 AM

How did that right click set affinity thing work out for ya?
!