Need help on what PSU to get

Rific

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I'm in the process of putting together a new computer (used entirely for gaming). I really have no clue about Power supply units and rails or w/e. I know a big factor in PSU is how much amperage is available on the rails and then wattage.

Here is my computer specs:

Asus P5W DH Intel 975X Deluxe Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E600 Conroe
2x 1GB Corsair XMS2 Ram
Sony DvD R/RW
7200 RPM 320 GB Seagate Barracude SATA Hard Drive
X-Fi Creative Soundblaster Sound Card
X1950XTX
X1950XTX Crossfire (Hooked up in crossfire mode with the other 1950)
I have about 5 fans (some with LED) in the computer, also has a large 200mm fan on top.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811129021

I want to know which PSU can handle the power requirement of all these part along with being able to handle a little bit more, per say if I added one more hard drive or a CD-ROM. I would really like a modular PSU if possible as I want my machine to look good and not have cords all over.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817128001

Above is a PSU I was looking at as it matched my color scheme and also the modular cables I really liked. If this can not handle my power requirement please suggest a PSU you think would work.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Check out the Corsair PSUs on www.zipzoomfly.com
also Fortron makes a killer PSU

Corsair PSUs are quite overpriced for the specs.
Antec, OCZ, Raidmax, Sharkoon (among others) use the same hardware as Fortron in their PSU. Thats what make this brands to be reliable, the perform VERY similar to eachother too.
The OCZ GameXstream beats everyones specs for the price. Quad 12v rails, 85% efficency and great amperage along the 12v rails. Excellent warranty.

Rific

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
I went with the 700W OCZ GameXstream after looking at all the other possibilities. It doesnt have the modular cables like I like but it has plenty of power and good reviews incase I wanted to add on to my computer. Thanks for the help.