Sign in with
Your question

Standard 19" or Widescreen 20" ?

Last response: in Components
October 12, 2006 9:50:22 PM

I am a gamer and I am currently deciding which LCD to buy however I am in a big dilemma, whether to get a 20" widescreen or a 19" standard.

The thing is that a 20" widescreen would be sexy and nicer than a standard one, but with a native res of 1680x1050, how am I going to cope to playing games at that resolution ? Games like FEAR, Quake 4 and GRAW I don't play more than 1280x1024 because I would see a great decrease in performance. On the other hand from some research I made, if I don't use native res the image quality of the LCD decreases .... BTW my vga is 7800gtx.

Now my decision is between these 2

If I get a 19" I would get this one http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProdu...

and if I get a 20" widescreen I would get this one
http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/l204wt.jhtml

Can you please give me some opinions on which lcd i should buy please.

Thanks

More about : standard widescreen

October 12, 2006 10:25:35 PM

I have a 20in widescreen. I love it. However, many games only support resoltions of 1280x1024 such as bf2 and fear. If you mostly play games I would suggest the 19in for a higher resolution in games if you want it, but for movies the widescreen works great.
You said you are a gamer and I think the 19 will work just fine for you.
October 12, 2006 11:58:07 PM

Quote:

You said you are a gamer and I think the 19 will work just fine for you.

Yeah, I would agree. I'm contemplating about buying another LCD monitor, but it's gonna be either 19" or 21". That 'cause 1600x1200 on a 20" LCD is a bit small for me.
Related resources
October 13, 2006 1:30:07 AM

Either makes a good choice - what vid card do you have right now? You should run your TFT monitor in native resolution (otherwise the picture sucks), so you need a beefier card for the 20" widescreen.
October 13, 2006 2:08:50 AM

I'm running a Acer 22" WS (around 350$ca) at 1680x1050 on an x1800xt (which would be equiv to your 7800)

i cannot begin to describe how much better it is for gaming. the card does not choke at all at this resolution.

the games you've mentioned will support this resolution. for really heavy games i'll run at 1280x800 with all the gfx goodies set to high :) 

your GPU should be able to handle it without no problems.
October 13, 2006 2:17:18 AM

Actually, F.E.A.R. can be played in widescreen by simply editing the config file.
October 13, 2006 2:24:06 AM

I prefer widescreen over standard, especially nice on my 2405FPW
October 13, 2006 5:22:32 AM

Quote:
Either makes a good choice - what vid card do you have right now? You should run your TFT monitor in native resolution (otherwise the picture sucks), so you need a beefier card for the 20" widescreen.

I got a X1900XT 512MB. I currently have the Planar PX191M 19" LCD.

My 19" CRT that I use for my HTPC is starting to fail and I think I want a bigger primary LCD monitor. Since the CRT is still usable, I'll hang on to it for now while I'm doing research.

I'm hoping that Planar will release a new PX monitor that's either 21" or 22". I've looked at the SAMSUNG 215TW Black 21" 8ms DVI Widescreen and the SAMSUNG 225BW Black 22" 5 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen over at J&R Music World in NYC.

The Samsung 225BW is simply horrid. I set the background to the "Autumn" wallpaper, I could easily see image artifacts. I didn't need to research any further, it's a 6-bit color LCD monitor. I dropped it from my potential consideration list. Not surprised considering the low price tag for a 22" widescreen.

The Samsung 215TW, however, looks much better. No noticable image artifact or color distortions. Smaller and more expensive than the 225BW, but I am almost positive it is an 8-bit color LCD monitor than can really display 16.7 million colors. But I gotta research it further.
October 13, 2006 6:10:33 AM

Quote:
I'm running a Acer 22" WS (around 350$ca) at 1680x1050 on an x1800xt (which would be equiv to your 7800)

i cannot begin to describe how much better it is for gaming. the card does not choke at all at this resolution.

the games you've mentioned will support this resolution. for really heavy games i'll run at 1280x800 with all the gfx goodies set to high :) 

but when you run games at 1280x800 do you loose the sharpness of the LCD ? Is it noticeable ?
October 13, 2006 6:12:06 AM

Quote:
Actually, F.E.A.R. can be played in widescreen by simply editing the config file.

I know that there are many ways how games can support widescreen, but the problem is lowering the LCD's resolution to keep in par with the performance of the vga .... especially... future games
October 13, 2006 11:04:15 PM

Quote:

but when you run games at 1280x800 do you loose the sharpness of the LCD ? Is it noticeable ?

like i said, running with all the goodies on high, including anti-aliasing.

you won't be able to tell the difference between 1280x800 and 1280x1024. only 224 lines from the top and bottom.

look at it this way, if you can notice a difference between 1600x1200 vs 1280x1024, then you might notice the difference between 1680x1050 and 1280x800.

you've said before that you normally game at 12x10, you won't notice 12x8 at all!
October 13, 2006 11:21:34 PM

Sorry to be off topic but how can one do this? Play on widescreen settings
October 14, 2006 12:50:56 AM

Quote:

like i said, running with all the goodies on high, including anti-aliasing.

you won't be able to tell the difference between 1280x800 and 1280x1024. only 224 lines from the top and bottom.

look at it this way, if you can notice a difference between 1600x1200 vs 1280x1024, then you might notice the difference between 1680x1050 and 1280x800.

you've said before that you normally game at 12x10, you won't notice 12x8 at all!

mate, i don't think you are getting my point.

you are talking about resolutions and how the games look, im not worried about that.

My worries is HOW THE LCD TACKLES OTHER RESOLUTIONS OTHER THAN ITS NATIVE RESOLUTION , I.E. 1680X1050.

Switching on aa, and that stuff doesn't make any difference to the lcd. Actually I really don't mind playing @ 1280x800.... but does the LCD look bad @ that res ?

sorry for the caps but just to make my point ;) 

thanks mate
October 14, 2006 2:29:46 AM

basically, when running games on an widescreen LCD you can either stretch the image to fullscreen (my preference) or display it at max native res with black stripes on the top or bottom... but most games of past few years support widescreen or similar enough a res that the distortion of the stretch is negligible when gaming...
I have a dell 2405FPW and an X1800XT running 692/795MHz..
October 16, 2006 2:51:56 PM

I have noticed when using non-native resolutions on a TFT monitor that everything becomes smudged and unclear. I have also noticed that the colours becomes far too bright making it impossible for it to become dark enough for me to set the colours properly on the games brightness config setting thingy.
October 16, 2006 3:40:30 PM

Personally, I always notice a big difference when running in non-native mode. I almost always run in Native mode.

Perhaps some LCDs handle it better than others, but I would assume it will not handle it well and then look for certain well rated LCDs you are looking at and ask in some product threads about those specific ones.

Mind you I generally am not using the best of the best in regards to LCDs, but I notice the difference right away using native vs non-native resolutions.
October 16, 2006 3:45:45 PM

I've got a ViewSonic VX922 and it's brilliant. I strongly recommend it.
It shines on Windows and absolutely kills on Games. Go for that. :D 
October 16, 2006 3:46:44 PM

The games can be set to run at a different res than everything else. It's in the game settings, so if you run a game at 1280x800 then windows can still run at any res you want it to, so the native res doesn't really matter in this case, IMO.
October 16, 2006 3:53:22 PM

How the performance on that dell 24", anybody using that? I've been eyeballing it for a little while now.
October 16, 2006 4:16:52 PM

Quote:

As can most games, there are several forums out there that detail how to achieve it for each game. That being said your choice of monitor depends more on your video card, if the card can't handle playing smoothly at higher resolutions you should ge tthe 19" (unless you plan on upgrading the card in the near future?). My guess is everything is going to move toward widescreen in the future though as it complies with HD specs.

Running an LCD at non-native resolution makes everything look horrid in general...
October 16, 2006 4:19:58 PM

Quote:

I have the same dilemma as this guy, but only in two-four months from now.

I know there is a site that explain how to set games to play well with widesreen. I've seen a site mention probably in PC Gamer or PC Magazine, but considering how much pages that would force me to look at... I'm wondering if anybody here has a clue?

I know there is this site: http://www.widescreengaming.net/wiki/Main_Page

The only thing is that it isn't easy to use, so anything better available, or especially with more games listed?

Thanks for the input.
October 16, 2006 10:21:57 PM

you're makin me crazy here ...

some ppl say lowering the res doesn't bother them at all, while other say it becomes disastrous

btw atp777 i know that windows run at a diff res but still if the game is set to 1280x800 that's the res ur gonna see ingame!
October 16, 2006 11:17:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry to be off topic but how can one do this? Play on widescreen settings
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Monolith Productions\FEAR and then open the config file named settings with notepad. Where it says "Screenwidth" change the number in quotes to whatever the horizontal dimensions of your monitor and then "Screenheight" for vertical dimensions. Now save and you're done.
October 17, 2006 9:15:31 AM

Right just forget about all these people saying running a TFT screen at non native resolutions are ok because they arnt, there just spewing pure BS. The screen gets blurred and the colour goes downhill, also get this monitor here: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID...

Much more bang for not much more cash.
October 17, 2006 9:54:52 PM

but on the other hand I can use nvidia options and set the tft to a non stretch mode so that I see black borders and still a crystal clear image right?
October 18, 2006 9:19:29 AM

But then you might as well of got a 14" TFT, besides your GFX card is more than capable to run any game at native resolution. And most games have a hack for them.
October 18, 2006 9:51:29 AM

Quote:
But then you might as well of got a 14" TFT, besides your GFX card is more than capable to run any game at native resolution. And most games have a hack for them.

i have an amd 3500 and 1gb corsair ram together with the 7800gtx.

the 7800gtx is ee edition which means it is factory overclocked.

but unfortunately hungry games like quake4,fear, graw i don't run them more than 1280x1024 with everything high.

do i have some kind of prob here ?
October 18, 2006 10:42:53 AM

Sounds like it, I have a X800XT PE and can still run Q4 at a high resolution. But then I have 2GB's of memory, maybe that could be the problem?
October 18, 2006 11:42:24 AM

I liked my girlfriends 20 inch widescreen, it did seem a bit short though, I prefer my 19 inch lcd over hers.
October 18, 2006 11:48:39 AM

Right... let me see if I can get this right:

1 - Most games can be hacked to run at full widescreen res (native TFT res).

2 - Games that can not be hacked to run at native can be run at their own resolution. This will not be the native resolution of the monitor and picture quality will suffer. It might be something you can live with but probably not.

3 - If doing #2 above you can change the setting via the graphics card controls to run the game at its resolution but with black bars around it. This means that the monitor is still running at its native resolution (which is higher than the games) but you are not using all the screen realestate.

Now I assume that the max res that you can run the game at is going to be your limited by your virticle resolution. Seing as the monitor being looked at has a native res of 1680 x 1050 this would mean a max non WS resolution for games of 1280 x 1024. So using option 3 this would waste 400 x 26 pixels, 200 pixels either side and 13 top and bottom.

(400/1680)*100 = ~24% of horizontal space wasted.
(26/1050)*100 = ~2.5% of verticle space wasted.

So really the question is would black lines round the screen bother you while playing games? You might find that some run OK at the higher WS resolution with the hacks but this is your fallback position. You still get all that widescreen goodness for everything else you do :) 
October 18, 2006 2:06:28 PM

Nah with games that don’t have hacks for them (there are very few) they are best played with the screen stretched since ATi has a problem doing things with the black bars… Hell if you wanted to do the black bars thing you might as well just run the game in a window as that would be just as good, better for alt tab selection as well :p 
!