Sign in with
Your question

AMD, ASUS and nVidia show off 4x4 at Digital Life

Last response: in CPUs
October 12, 2006 11:54:08 PM

News from the Inq states that AMD showed off a demo of 4x4 running on an ASUS board with an nVidia chipset ( I think I mentioned ASUS would be a launch partner). The demo reportedly used two HD videos and a couple of gameplay videos and did everything smooth as silk.

I plan to hit the Javits Center Saturday to see if I can get more info.

Linkage!

It looks from this demo like mobos will appear in the next few weeks. Since nVidia already has the 3600\3050 which can support 56 lanes, it will be just a matter of adding the extra links for 4 slots.

All I want for Xmas is my 4x4.
October 12, 2006 11:58:19 PM

Quote:
News from the Inq states that AMD showed off a demo of 4x4 running on an ASUS board with an nVidia chipset ( I think I mentioned ASUS would be a launch partner). The demo reportedly used two HD videos and a couple of gameplay videos and did everything smooth as silk.

Linkage!

It looks from this demo like mobos will appear in the next few weeks. Since nVidia already has the 3600\3050 which can support 56 lanes, it will be just a matter of adding the extra links for 4 slots.

So, this finally put an end to that rumor about 4x4 mobos only being made by motherboard-server companies like Tyan, iwill and Supermicro.

Good news indeed.
October 13, 2006 12:03:17 AM

Quote:

Linkage!

So, this finally put an end to that rumor about 4x4 mobos only being made by motherboard-server companies like Tyan, iwill and Supermicro.

Good news indeed.

Yeah I kinda figured that ASUS would be involved. They are second only to Abit in enthusiast boards... well it's a tossup with Asus Abit and DFI, but Asus was almost a shoe in. It will help them develop better wksta boards.
October 13, 2006 12:04:41 AM

I'd love to see MSI involved with this sooner or later.
October 13, 2006 12:34:53 AM

Quote:

Your in luck Baron, Im shipping it to you early

October 13, 2006 12:59:44 AM

Quote:
Interesting, I saw this exact same demo at the Mac store on the PowerMac Pro. Except it was running 10 video on one screen and a game on the other, Garage Band was playing in the background.

Mother of Murgatroid Jack!! 5000+ in 7-8 months? And the vast majority of them informative vs. space wasters like mine and Barons? Your patience is astounding
a c 473 à CPUs
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 119 À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
October 13, 2006 1:06:42 AM

Quote:
News from the Inq states that AMD showed off a demo of 4x4 running on an ASUS board with an nVidia chipset ( I think I mentioned ASUS would be a launch partner).

Interesting, but what about an ATI chipset? It would be logical for AMD's 4x4 to use Crossfire as well. You know, cross product sales.
October 13, 2006 1:21:03 AM

Quote:
News from the Inq states that AMD showed off a demo of 4x4 running on an ASUS board with an nVidia chipset ( I think I mentioned ASUS would be a launch partner).

Interesting, but what about an ATI chipset? It would be logical for AMD's 4x4 to use Crossfire as well. You know, cross product sales.

I expect that the Xfire chipset will be around soon. AMD can't step on nVidia's toes. Especially since they have the only chipset for mainstream servers and wkstas.

There was news of ATis chipset for four GPUs on one of these sites. Maybe MSI will use it.
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2006 1:32:46 AM

Quote:

I expect that the Xfire chipset will be around soon. AMD can't step on nVidia's toes. Especially since they have the only chipset for mainstream servers and wkstas.

There was news of ATis chipset for four GPUs on one of these sites. Maybe MSI will use it.

Don't worry.. Sharikou PhD has stated that Intel will go bankrupt any day now. Ya know.. he might be right.. did you see the recent endorsement Intel has gotten:

Yeah.. I guess Intel really is EVIL!
October 13, 2006 1:42:30 AM

I don't mind people bashing Baron, when he is being a troll, but I don't see anything wrong with this post.
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2006 1:47:09 AM

Quote:
I don't mind people bashing Baron, when he is being a troll, but I don't see anything wrong with this post.

It's the third freaking thread on the same subject today!

Get's rather annoying.

Plus I didn't bash anyone. In fact I bashed Intel.
October 13, 2006 1:53:11 AM

I didn't see the other threads on the subject and I assumed your bashing Intel was a kind of irony aimed at Baron.

Sorry if I read you wrong.
October 13, 2006 1:55:39 AM

Quote:

STFU. That was a real ringing endorsement d^&head.
October 13, 2006 1:56:36 AM

Quote:

Get's rather annoying.

Maybe you should hang out at the Barbie forum again.
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2006 1:56:54 AM

Quote:
I didn't see the other threads on the subject and I assumed your bashing Intel was a kind of irony aimed at Baron.

Sorry if I read you wrong.

No... I'm not big on Irony.. infact I disagree with Irony. I'm anti-Irony... like I'm Superman and Irony is Lex Luthor.

4x4 threads, we've had 3 in 24hrs time and about 6 threads total at Barcelona and other stupid unrelated, non existant stuff.

One of the 4x4 threads was locked (started by Lordpoop) the other is on the second page and is rather long.
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2006 2:11:27 AM

Quote:

Get's rather annoying.

I'm sorry everytime you post something I get this horrible mental picture. It looks something like this...

October 13, 2006 2:14:09 AM

Quote:

Don't worry Baron, I'm not your Mama, I won't protect you from the big boys.

I just want to keep a civilized tone here, so that we can discuss facts, but I guess that is impossible with you here. :roll:
October 13, 2006 2:19:40 AM

You really are evil. Or is that a picture of you ?
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2006 2:23:25 AM

Quote:

It's a random picture from Google. I typed in Nerd and it popped up. I was looking for some horrible picture that would remind me of what I think off each time BaronMatrix makes a post.

I've grown tired of his outright lies. I've tried to keep is civil and correct him at every turn... but the guy is relentless.

He is on the VERY same page as MMM, Sharikou and 9inch when it comes to fanboism.

I look quite different...

October 13, 2006 2:27:37 AM

Quote:

Don't worry Baron, I'm not your Mama, I won't protect you from the big boys.

I just want to keep a civilized tone here, so that we can discuss facts, but I guess that is impossible with you here. :roll:

Calling someone a troll is using a civilized tone? I'm not even sure what trolling is. This is a CPU forum and AMD makes CPUs. Any news about them is fair game. I have yet to see Tom's only run one story about AMD if there are three making the rounds.

I have posted about Intel when they make interesting news.
October 13, 2006 2:43:29 AM

dude you are such a chav and a troll its not even funny. all you do is talk about how 4x4 willpwn quad and all that.
October 13, 2006 2:56:47 AM

Quote:

October 13, 2006 2:58:53 AM

If said poster had any to begin with. Damn I should really stop this... You can't lose what you already lack.
October 13, 2006 3:05:04 AM

Quote:
dude you are such a chav and a troll its not even funny. all you do is talk about how 4x4 willpwn quad and all that.

No I said I would buy it. Don't butt in on grown folks' conversations child.
October 13, 2006 3:06:11 AM

Ehrmm... you're one to talk. Leave the newbie alone troll. By the way this is a public forum if you didn't notice so just about anyone can post. I suppose that's why you're still here. Ah well, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
October 13, 2006 3:09:30 AM

Quote:
If said poster had any to begin with. Damn I should really stop this... You can't lose what you already lack.

Point. Set. Match :oops: 
October 13, 2006 3:22:04 AM

Why can't they show it off with 3DMark?
October 13, 2006 3:25:21 AM

Salmon of Doubt anyone?
October 13, 2006 3:29:54 AM

You could just try ignoring him dont ya think ?
October 13, 2006 3:32:29 AM

True but he keeps posting BS, and someone is going to get confused or misled with what he posts. I try not to flame him as much but, today is not my good day for this. I'm trying.
October 13, 2006 4:33:48 AM

Quote:

It's a random picture from Google. I typed in Nerd and it popped up. I was looking for some horrible picture that would remind me of what I think off each time BaronMatrix makes a post.

I've grown tired of his outright lies. I've tried to keep is civil and correct him at every turn... but the guy is relentless.

He is on the VERY same page as MMM, Sharikou and 9inch when it comes to fanboism.

I look quite different...

Is that actually you elmo?
October 13, 2006 5:00:09 AM

I always pctured you more like these...

more to come, i'm tire of looking for now. You can look forward to chretien pics :lol:  , "i desire your sphinctur" signs or whatever it is. 8O and whatever else...

This is alll a big joke so you don't get mad. :wink:
October 13, 2006 5:37:51 AM

Quote:
Salmon of Doubt anyone?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

I dont know if he could read it where he is. I think he entered the long dark tea time of the soul late one sunday afternoon and never returned
October 13, 2006 5:46:36 AM

I thought some time in the past week you said you "never intimidated newbies". What happened to that?
October 13, 2006 11:59:04 AM

Quote:
Ehrmm... you're one to talk. Leave the newbie alone troll. By the way this is a public forum if you didn't notice so just about anyone can post. I suppose that's why you're still here. Ah well, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Your mom said come home. The library is closing.
October 13, 2006 12:00:28 PM

Quote:
I thought some time in the past week you said you "never intimidated newbies". What happened to that?

He's not a newbie. He's probably one of you with a different email addy. Calling names leads to what it leads to.

Stop with the jealousy. It makes you look desperate to have a friend.
October 13, 2006 12:08:51 PM

Quote:
I'm not even sure what trolling is.

It is everything you post!
October 13, 2006 1:05:07 PM

STOP with the fine print.... I can never resist trying to read it!!!
October 13, 2006 1:11:05 PM

Quote:

But back on topic, I'm planning on attending this as I said and I will get as much info as I can and LIE ABOUT ALL OF IT.

MWAAAAHAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAAA!
:roll:
October 13, 2006 1:43:26 PM

Quote:

But back on topic, I'm planning on attending this as I said and I will get as much info as I can and LIE ABOUT ALL OF IT.

:roll:So, in other words, it will be like all your other posts.
October 13, 2006 2:01:30 PM

Quote:

:roll:So, in other words, it will be like all your other posts.

Yep. My floors are all mopped so why not play head games with the <insert descriptive adjective> guys here.
October 13, 2006 2:43:38 PM

Interesting.Looks like I will be building a new system in january after all.The 4x4 sys.from AMD looks promising.And although it is not a true quad core,the dual core dual cpu thing really seems to be the way to go.Of course there is a money issue for some,but I think over all that it is a good performer and well worth the extra money for dual cpu's.And I can even upgrade to a quad core setup in a few more months.Kool.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR 1280X1024
ACE 520WATT PSU
October 13, 2006 3:00:29 PM

Quote:
Interesting.Looks like I will be building a new system in january after all.The 4x4 sys.from AMD looks promising.And although it is not a true quad core,the dual core dual cpu thing really seems to be the way to go.Of course there is a money issue for some,but I think over all that it is a good performer and well worth the extra money for dual cpu's.And I can even upgrade to a quad core setup in a few more months.Kool.

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
ACE 520WATT PSU

Yeah, it is cool. I'm hitting Digital Life tomorrow and will report as much as I can find out, even though we can all already determine how much faster than FX62 it will be.
October 13, 2006 3:21:48 PM

Quote:

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
ACE 520WATT PSU

Am I the only one that thinks the 4X4 is at a disadvantage if only because it is two separate CPUs? Maybe it's because I already have a water cooled system... or maybe it's because I've spent $55 on a heatsink/fan before that. Either way you're looking at more $$$ for cooling and more case clutter. I just think people are overlooking this. It's just going to complicate CPU cooling considerably in my opinion.
October 13, 2006 3:30:26 PM

Same here, but people can choose whatever they damn well please. Its there prerogative. We might think its stupid but what the hell. It ain't our money. All we can do is dissuade them.
October 13, 2006 4:48:54 PM

Quote:

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
ACE 520WATT PSU

Yeah, it is cool. I'm hitting Digital Life tomorrow and will report as much as I can find out, even though we can all already determine how much faster than FX62 it will be.

I'd love to see that report. 4x4 will be a killer setup without any doubt and the good thing is that you can get a bundle of 2.8GHz FXs for less than $900.

This would be the dream machine for gamers, software developers and content creators.
October 13, 2006 5:11:32 PM

Quote:

Dahak

AMD X2-4400+@2.4 S-939
EVGA NF4 SLI MB
2X7800GT IN SLI
2X1GIG DDR IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
ACE 520WATT PSU

I'd love to see that report. 4x4 will be a killer setup without any doubt and the good thing is that you can get a bundle of 2.8GHz FXs for less than $900.

This would be the dream machine for gamers, software developers and content creators.

YEah, I'm a dev and I am drooling. I can run 3 VMs along with my host with a 4400+. i can imagine how much I can do with this thing.

Creamy!!
October 13, 2006 7:45:48 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, but the wonderfull two FXs CPUs running at amazing 4.6GHz with the superior ODMC and the best point-to-point communication will cost less than $90. The mainboard with the two PCI x16 slots and without the slow SCSI, SODIMM and PCI-x will be free for those who prefer to give their money to AMD(they are donating the money to the poor people and hungry children). Also for $50 you'll be able to get two AMD corssfire X2000 with 1GB GDDR4 VRAM. When 4x4 reaches the market, the registered DDR2-1200 CL3 3-3-6 will become the cheapes and the most fast memory which will be only available to the superior AMD systems.
!