Sign in with
Your question

MAN Im pissed off. Any help is appreciated.

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Video
  • Media Player
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 13, 2006 12:10:37 AM

Ok, Here's the issue in a nutshell. When I play a video file (avi, mpeg etc) I get the sound but the creen in the media player is black. Complications and points of concern follow...

1. It dosne't matter what media player I use, the same problem persists (WMP, VLC, Real, Quicktime and others tried)

2. These files worked before. FOr somereason, the problem, which is across the board, just stared recently

3. It happened one night After I froze playing Oblivion and had to use the manual restart.

4. I have also recently been fiddleing with dual display stuff, one of which being a projector. Not sure if this is related, but it might be

5. All my codecs are up to date. There was no change made in my codecs between the time whe they worked and when the didnt. Is there such a thing as too many codecs.

6. The problem is extended to indternet videos, but not all of them. Internet videos that open in a windows medai window don't play. You-Tube works.

7. I think thats it. I feel like there is a very simple solution to this that I just don't know. I was told that pressing F4 would do the tric because that toggled the video, but that didnt work. But maybe I did it wrong.

8. Thanks to anyone in advance who tacked this. If there is any other pertinant info I left out, tell me so I can help you help me. Thanks again!

More about : man pissed appreciated

October 13, 2006 12:30:15 AM

Do a google search for Microsoft Decoder Checkup Utility. Try installing Divx (that's a pretty popular codec). The fact that Youtube works suggests Flash is working but the whole deal sounds like codec trouble---possibly corrupt codecs. The multi monitor would only be a problem if the player you were using was opening off screen (like on the second monitor).
October 13, 2006 12:36:27 AM

I also have a 7900GT and have run into problems playing videos in WMP. I've never had to deal with a totally black screen, but I have had the color in videos appear to be way off and the problem persisted no matter what player I tried (except Winamp for some reason worked perfectly). What worked for me was to uninstall the current drivers and use the old ones that came with my card.
Try that and see if it helps.
October 13, 2006 12:37:52 AM

Quote:
4. I have also recently been fiddleing with dual display stuff, one of which being a projector. Not sure if this is related, but it might be

double check projector & vga settings, try disconnecting projector
October 13, 2006 12:38:58 AM

You're not telling what graphic card make you have, but I'm guessing ATi or built-in. Nvidia doesn't have this problem with Overlay except with WMV videos..

The problem is indeed that you have dual display active, I'd guess that if you move the video screen to another display, it will show up. But it's possible it won't.

The only solution I know of to make sure it works on all screens is to enable "high quality mode" in windows media player, wich doesn't use OVERLAY wich is the bandit here.

Personally I prefer Media Player Classic, wich allows for free switching between output options. In MPC you select Direct X 9 output, and you should see the video on all screens.

Beware though that DX9 output mode uses much more CPU.
October 13, 2006 12:40:20 AM

sounds like you have it set on clone. My Nvidia cards did that to me. The video will only show on the primary screen. If you go to display properties and use the Detect display you might see a big number 2 on the screen. Make sure to make it say Single Display instead of clone. It should work after that.

Andy
October 13, 2006 12:43:52 AM

Quote:
Ok, Here's the issue in a nutshell. When I play a video file (avi, mpeg etc) I get the sound but the creen in the media player is black. Complications and points of concern follow...

1. It dosne't matter what media player I use, the same problem persists (WMP, VLC, Real, Quicktime and others tried)

2. These files worked before. FOr somereason, the problem, which is across the board, just stared recently

3. It happened one night After I froze playing Oblivion and had to use the manual restart.

5. All my codecs are up to date. There was no change made in my codecs between the time whe they worked and when the didnt. Is there such a thing as too many codecs.

6. The problem is extended to indternet videos, but not all of them. Internet videos that open in a windows medai window don't play. You-Tube works.

7. I think thats it. I feel like there is a very simple solution to this that I just don't know. I was told that pressing F4 would do the tric because that toggled the video, but that didnt work. But maybe I did it wrong.

8. Thanks to anyone in advance who tacked this. If there is any other pertinant info I left out, tell me so I can help you help me. Thanks again!

Sounds like all overlay video is being redirected to your second display port. Reconnect the projector or any TV to confirm. I don't know how Nvidia handles secondary displays but you should be able to get into the control panel and disable the secondary display, or turn off "theater Mode" (ATI lingo).

A friend with an All In Wonder card was regularly calling me about "lost" windows. He ran a permanent cable to his big screen and anytime ihe TV was turned on the ATI card would detect it and automatically switch to expanded desktop mode, along with Theater Mode which directs any overlay video to full screen on the secondary display. Problem was, he didn't see what was happening because his TV was tuned to cable.

I'm guessing the reason you can see some online videos is because they are using flash player which does not use overlay.
October 13, 2006 1:19:08 AM

Quote:
sounds like you have it set on clone. My Nvidia cards did that to me. The video will only show on the primary screen. If you go to display properties and use the Detect display you might see a big number 2 on the screen. Make sure to make it say Single Display instead of clone. It should work after that.

Andy

This is what is wrong. Do that and it will work fine.
October 13, 2006 1:49:39 AM

Chi?
October 13, 2006 5:20:54 AM

when using dual mode, things work better to check the, use individual setting also snap edges to 100 pixels. If all else fails boot up and restore last known reg.
October 13, 2006 2:14:05 PM

I feel like this is goind in the right direction. HOwever, here a are a few issues. First of all, I used to be able to change my display settings on the "nvidia control panel" which I could get either from the icon on my system tray or from the conrol panel. HOwever, it is no longer in the control panel and the nvdia icon dosen't even appear in my tray anymore! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!

As a side note, I unplugged the projector and the probem was not solved.
October 13, 2006 2:31:28 PM

Driver corruption ftl (for the loss). Completely uninstall the nVidia video driver package. Use Driver Cleaner Pro to ensure complete removal. Link Goes Here Reboot. Install fresh drivers direct from nVidia. Reboot, and you should be good.

Post back if you're still having problems.

-J
October 15, 2006 8:08:28 PM

Ok, Here's some updated info. I tried playing videos in iTunes, and they worked! But only when they are very small. As soon as I tried deaging the borders of that little album art zone where they played, it went black. Also, clikcing to enlarge had the same effect. I'm not sure what the implications of this discovery are, but Im pretty pleased because ti seems like it may be a simple issue. Any thoughts?
!